Appeal for Homes!

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Solar

Re: Appeal for Homes!

Post by Solar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:26 am

Good luck! Sadly I'm not in any position to help, considering my own group of unexpected rescues and really knowing the two mums I have here for fostering won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I am soooo thankful they weren't pregnant again since I noticed a slowdown in rehoming when I got them when browsing. My last two girls for fostering stayed with me for 6 months before they found a lovely home. Just need to get my neutered lad back in with his brothers so I can get down to 4 cages and then try Franky and Benny with the four guys I kept. It's going to be a bit more difficult now, since the oldest is 14 weeks (not including dad) and I still have two waiting to go to their homw, but you never know, they may love each other. ^^
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

demons_soul

Post by demons_soul » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:03 am

FurryFriends wrote:
I will answer in more detail later, but now must go and muck out copious amounts of dogs. :roll:

:lol:

looneyfox

Post by looneyfox » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:23 pm

I'd love to help out with fostering and we'd even adopt a couple of boys but as we're in Northern Ireland it makes it almost impossible to adopt boys from the mainland as it involves a boat journey. If anyone is popping over to Ireland on their hols and can fit a few ratties in their car then we'd be happy to take on some ratties for fostering and rehoming. Unfortunately at the moment we can't afford to take the boat over as we dod it last month.
My boys - Sardines, Jonah, Rafa, Phantom and Mr Tumnus.
Doggie - Jet.
Kittie - Furball.
Not forgotten - Zorro, James, Bob, Fidget, Jehosophat, Schneaky, Arnold and Gnasher.

stimpo

Post by stimpo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I cant believe what I am reading here it is so sad. We tend to have adopted rats as I dont breed and I would rather give a rat a happy home for someone with a bad start.

Our first two were up for adoption after 1yr-18mths because the owner became allergic?? One was so fat that the vet thought she was pregnant at first , sadly she died but we got her down in weight and even had her climbing up the cage. She had a good 6 months with us and her partner in crime loves our other ratties.

We have agreed to 2 more rats but we cant take any more as we have no cages left but if I could I would turn my spare room into a rattery for adopted rats if I could. It makes my heart bleed

Im sat here with a much loved rat who seems to be giving me lots of attention tonight wondering how on earth someone can do this to a living creature.

On a positive note my face has been licked to an inch of its life and just had my eyelashes pruned

sat

Post by sat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Can I just say that I visited Emma's last night and took a look at all the lovely boys and girls she has there, all of whom are older ratties (with one exception who only arrived over the weekend). I couldn't believe how many oldies are still looking for homes and all of them totally adorable. They were all so friendly and just wanting a nice cuddle and some tlc. Four old girls will shortly be coming home with me to spend their twlight time at my house - they just lay in my arms or sat on my shoulder bruxing away contently.

Can I please urge any members out there who do have some space and time to give, to consider giving some of these older ratties a home as opposed to the cute babies which everybody seems to want. The boys are also lovely (especially the 3 dumbo squishes). They only ask for a forever home and some tlc.
:rainbow:BillBenBobbyLennie&CoCrackle&CoHoneyCleo&CoStuartNutmegHazel&CoZumiStumpy&
CoRioRazzAcornMoonstone&CoAshCaramac&CoAngusRowan&CoTobyGebShadowStreakSilverChong
PoloLindenCheechZeusLoopy-forever in my heart

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:42 pm

We should be going to visit soon and taking a trio of oldie boys with us Sylvia.
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

sat

Post by sat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Jembean wrote:We should be going to visit soon and taking a trio of oldie boys with us Sylvia.

Yes, Emma did mention you were going to adopt some ratties and I guessed it would be boys. They are all gorgeous Jem - I'm sure you won't be disappointed whichever group you choose. Excellent news. :)
:rainbow:BillBenBobbyLennie&CoCrackle&CoHoneyCleo&CoStuartNutmegHazel&CoZumiStumpy&
CoRioRazzAcornMoonstone&CoAshCaramac&CoAngusRowan&CoTobyGebShadowStreakSilverChong
PoloLindenCheechZeusLoopy-forever in my heart

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:57 pm

I've ended up keeping my 3 old girls, they've been here for 5 months with no interest.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

InsomniaticDND

Post by InsomniaticDND » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:38 pm

sat wrote:Can I just say that I visited Emma's last night and took a look at all the lovely boys and girls she has there, all of whom are older ratties (with one exception who only arrived over the weekend). I couldn't believe how many oldies are still looking for homes and all of them totally adorable. They were all so friendly and just wanting a nice cuddle and some tlc. Four old girls will shortly be coming home with me to spend their twlight time at my house - they just lay in my arms or sat on my shoulder bruxing away contently.

Can I please urge any members out there who do have some space and time to give, to consider giving some of these older ratties a home as opposed to the cute babies which everybody seems to want. The boys are also lovely (especially the 3 dumbo squishes). They only ask for a forever home and some tlc.

What is the health of the oldies like? I've got older rats here too, and would struggle if all were immediately ill. But if they're healthy and ill a little later in the future, then I should be able to afford it just fine :) I've been thinking and would like to look at taking on some older ratties, I'll have a retirement colony in no time!
Melanie & Axel (Greyhound)

Gone but never forgotten: :rainbow: Hollie, Piper, Prue, Phoebe, Paige, Pippin, Avana, Frodo, Luna & Bilbo

Currently on a rat-break :(

hayleystar

Post by hayleystar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:56 pm

I think that it's people attitudes that leave a lot of the oldies overlooked. I don't think people do it on purpose, but 9 out of 10 people that come to our rescue know that they only want to view kittens, I think they decide on this before they come to us.

It's hard to make people see the potential in our older rescues, which is a shame.

pomperella

Post by pomperella » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:13 pm

it makes me so sad that people are still actively breeding with all these poor lovely rescues in the world :cry:

good luck with the search. i may be in a position to help but not at the moment - i've been struck with a lot of ratty illness so it's not the best time.
RIP: Ellie, E.T, Leeloo and Mario are no longer with us x

Kudjo, Clarice and little JR x

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:24 pm

pomperella wrote:it makes me so sad that people are still actively breeding with all these poor lovely rescues in the world :cry:

If people stopped breeding, because there were rescues.. we'd be back to square one. The pet shops would have won, and people would start going there again to get babies.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

googoodoll

Post by googoodoll » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:32 pm

hayleystar wrote:I think that it's people attitudes that leave a lot of the oldies overlooked. I don't think people do it on purpose, but 9 out of 10 people that come to our rescue know that they only want to view kittens, I think they decide on this before they come to us.

I would prefer kittens, but I know that they're the easiest to home and the poor old squishes get overlooked. And I would LOVE to get more rats, but I've got a long-term illness that has kept me off work for about two years now so I wouldn't be able to afford them and give them the home they deserve. I can't convey in words on a screen how much this not being able to work frustrates me. :'( I do actually have a retirement cage for my current rats for when they get old and decrepit! But there's just no room for it and my parents would kill me.

Going back to animals being PTS for no reason other than they can't be homed because people want an easy pet that they don't have to make any effort with, around 13,000 dogs a year are put to sleep in this country. :(
Mum to: Sebastian, Sidney, Jacob and Jared.

R.I.P. to all who have come before, about 40 now, particularly Eddie, the most recent, who died of a stroke in my arms, and Ollie, my first ever rat who lived to the grand old age of four and a half.

pomperella

Post by pomperella » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:48 pm

aquajen9 wrote:
pomperella wrote:it makes me so sad that people are still actively breeding with all these poor lovely rescues in the world :cry:

If people stopped breeding, because there were rescues.. we'd be back to square one. The pet shops would have won, and people would start going there again to get babies.

yeah you are right - i wasn't thinking about those horrible big pet stores purpose breeding...
RIP: Ellie, E.T, Leeloo and Mario are no longer with us x

Kudjo, Clarice and little JR x

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I quite like the oldies :love: i havent ever had a kitten from rescue, i know they usually wont be there long before their cuteness gets them homed :wink:
Ive got 5 growed up boy rescues and an elderly lady.
Its sad that the oldies are overlooked, my latest addition to my herd of pooches is a 12 year old EBT cross, and he is just fab.
The oldies have so much personality to them in my opinion, i always go for older rats when i am looking to rescue :love: send a few OAPs my way 8)