Appeal for Homes!

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
aimlessdesire

Re: Appeal for Homes!

Post by aimlessdesire » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 pm

It looks like my last 3 foster girls are going to stay. I decided several months ago if they were still here come August 1st they would be staying. But then I also decided that I wasn't going to foster any more for a while (said that before though) because rehoming is sooo hard at the moment. I found it hard to rehome babies this time around compared to earlier in the year when I could have rehomed some of them several times over.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:29 pm

as for no rescue ratties really being up north, what about Cynthia at Rat Rescue in Manchester??
i dont mind doing transport runs.

i also have 8 boys looking for homes too(including 3 generations in 1 family!!) and babies in around 5 weeks, im in the northwest, but can travel aswell.
all the ones needing new homes are up on here on the rehoming board, and the site in my signature.

ive never as yet said no to taking rats in, even though i may have been short on space and money and not really wanting to add to the amount of rats ive already got here, but i cant say no :-?

a pattern i have noticed, is the fact that neutered boys seem to be all the rage when it comes to rehoming.
similarly ive had alot of negative comments as to why im willing to have some rats neutered and not all of them :-?
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Sorry, if that seemed like a bit of a flippant comment (no excuse, but i'm mid-migraine today, so very wooly-headed). It breaks my heart to not be able to help at the moment, especially with half a tower empty, but i'm really not in a position to be able to right now. As soon as i am, i'll be opening my doors again

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:50 pm

We are full to bursting with Alaskan Malamute dogs too - unbelievably people have exactly the same attitude to a dog they spent virtually a thousand pounds on :(

I'm so far away - would a donation help with food costs or anything .......... I know homes are the priority but I'd like to help in some way ...
Julie and the pets
Manchester, UK
http://www.muddiwarx.co.uk

carney

Post by carney » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Please don't be put off by distance. I've had rescue rats from as far down as Plymouth. Rat trains are really successful as there are many amazing people on this forum who will help move ratties to their new homes.
Formerly yappy

eja0485

Post by eja0485 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:36 pm

That's shocking. I always hoped it was just a myth that, putting animals to sleep because they don't want to care for them. Are vets really happy to oblige in dealing with *please do not swear* like that? Surely they won't put to sleep a perfectly healthy animal? Maybe I misread/misinterpreted the post.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:14 am

eja0485 wrote:That's shocking. I always hoped it was just a myth that, putting animals to sleep because they don't want to care for them. Are vets really happy to oblige in dealing with *please do not swear* like that? Surely they won't put to sleep a perfectly healthy animal? Maybe I misread/misinterpreted the post.

of course some vets will put animals down at owners whim, after all, theyre getting paid arent they, consulatation fee etc, plus putting an animals to sleep = expensive really, so more money to line some vets pockets.

not all are like that, but some i know for a fact, are :-?

same with owners. some give a toss, some dont.
some see it as putting an animal to sleep, some see it as disposing of an animal or an annoyance.

ive met a fair few of the latter to know its a very real problem.

if you arent an animal lover, i suppose you wouldnt, live, breathe, love and cherish you pets, theyd maybe be a fad, an accessory, a whim, a bribe, entertainment, something nice to look at, rather than to love as part of the family or more than life itself.
who knows.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Blue Eyed Girl

Post by Blue Eyed Girl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 am

:) Oh, spoiled-rat...James and Dotty are gorgeous...I hope they find their forever home soon (as well as all the other handsome boys :love: )
Owned by the Squishes: Max, Paddy, Harvey, Chester, Rupert, Buster, Billy, Sidney, Otis, Marvin, Basil, Stanley & Elvis :love:
Foster Mammy to the little darlings: Leo :smileyrat: Piper :girly: Archie :teen: Douglas :teen:
:rainbow: Milo

FaB

Post by FaB » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:46 am

What concerned me about reading this post is WHY on earth are the vets putting these healthy animals to sleep, cos an owner cant be bothered? Or am i reading wrong and they dont take to vets to put to sleep :cry:
Trying to talk hubbie into more but he said no more pets before we got any rats :lol:
He's coming round slowly :)
R.I.P My sweet Princes, Lord Vader, Wilson, Bailey, Master Yoda, Harrison,Frankie, Benny and Gimli
My sweet princess's Amber and Jewel, Eva, Bobbie
forever in my heart

FurryFriends

Post by FurryFriends » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:49 am

I haven't got time to answer everybodies questions as am going to work in ten minutes, but I just thought that I would put in that not one single rat that I have up for rehoming at the moment is a biter. All are easy to handle and are in groups. The lads I have here are in bonded groups of three but the girls are all very sociable.

Some of the older ladies have chest complaints that they are treated for periodically and many had to be treated for mites on arrival. Only one lady is on a course of Ivermectin for mites at the moment.

One group of lads I have here are the most adoravble squishies that you could imagine (Dumbo big fat lads :hearts: ) although one has to have his teeth trimmed every three months or so. These were found dumped in a cage on the road.

The youngest I have in for adoption is about 9 months old (group of three sisters). The oldest are about 2 years old. I don't think these will be around too long. They came in from the RSPCA and the mange and chest infection had not been noticed. They have had their treatments now and although not 100% both have rallied round and become very sweet. They are both PEW's.

I will answer in more detail later, but now must go and muck out copious amounts of dogs. :roll:

Emma

FurryFriends

Post by FurryFriends » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:50 am

Its not so much vets that are the main problem. It is a certain large rescue organisation that tend to fill their freezer on a weekly basis. :angry:

Emma

FaB

Post by FaB » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 am

Yes i know who you mean and thats why i wont have anything to do with them, just no need for it
R.I.P My sweet Princes, Lord Vader, Wilson, Bailey, Master Yoda, Harrison,Frankie, Benny and Gimli
My sweet princess's Amber and Jewel, Eva, Bobbie
forever in my heart

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:24 am

The thing is though, if there's no where for the rats to go, then what option is there but PTS?
I told myself 3 weeks ago that i would have to be tough and have to say no to anyone else being admitted to he rescue, even when i was worrying about the neglectful situation that i was leaving these rats in by not taking them, and that i would ONLY agree to cases where it was a life and death situation. (eg i take them or they would be put to sleep), but in these last couple of weeks, 24 rats have come in that would otherwise have been put to sleep. So now, i too am facing a new benchmark of when i say no, i cant fit anymore in.
Thankfully, i currenlty have 4 amazing people who are fostering rats for me. I have had other offers of foster carers, but theres only so much coordinating of foster homes (getting them there, and back, expenses, keeping up the rehoming threads, etc,) that we can manage.
Emma i do really feel for you, and hope some great homes come forward as a result of this thread.

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 am

We're in the process of shuffling our rattery around, putting some cages downstairs etc. - am sure we will have some room once we're done (by the end of the week) though.. I'll phone you, Emma.
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:48 am

There are loads of rats for rehoming in the north too...
I have been personally involved with 21 now homed rescues over the past few months and am responsible for finding homes for 10 more who are currenly looking. That's just me and the fosteres that I work with up here. I am sure you can multiply that amount up for all the other rescuers/organisations/individuals up here. Not all of the rescues that we are involved with get advertised on here - as some are placed with people who make personal enquiries to me for rats via my own website, or via a network of known contacts. But if people are looking for specific rescues (eg castrated adult buck or older rat) in the north then please do get in touch as it's usually only the rats from bigger rescues up here that I ever advertise on the forum.
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk