Kira has got herself a sex change! HELP!

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Takara

Re: Kira has got herself a sex change! HELP!

Post by Takara » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:14 am

WOOHOO! the guilt trip worked :D along with buying my dad a 2kg bar of chocolate and filling up his car with fuel 8) 8) 8)
so now i'm "allowed" [ridiculous, im 22! ""allowed"" - sheesh...]] to get them both playmates. i really don't want to put kira through an operation for the sake of "having one cage", it doesn't seem fair...so, what i think im gonna do is get kira a playmate then wait 2 weeks to see if nessie's preggers, if not then i'll get her a plamate too. if she IS preggers, then...i have a friend who would happily house a few ratties, (nessie had 2 babies in her last pregnancy, fingers crossed its in her genes to have small litters!) and im sure that if a bar of chocolate and some fuel twists my dads mind into 2-rats-to-4 then a few more shouldnt make a huge difference :lol:

wheeeeeeeee i love ratties!

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:03 am

a little bit OT but ...

Anyhoo, you didn't upset me as such, you just need to remember that ratty families - like human families - dont always stick to the "2.4 children nuclear family fly the nest at 21" stereotype, and deviation from that don't necessarily mean any immoriality commited by the previous owner/breeder/rescuer etc.

no deviation from the norm doesnt make anyone imoral but i still dont agree with it and unless there are good reasons for it to be otherwise babies shouldnt be rehomed until they are old enough and does shouldnt be pregnant until they are old enough, its just detrimental to them, deviation doesnt mean the end of the world, but its also in the best interest of a 13 year old human being not be having sex and babies ;) but poop happens.

Anyway fingers crossed that your girls not pregnant, unfortunatly just because she had a small litter last time doesnt mean she will this time, so good luck to you both

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:08 am

hedgeweasel wrote:a little bit OT but ...

Anyhoo, you didn't upset me as such, you just need to remember that ratty families - like human families - dont always stick to the "2.4 children nuclear family fly the nest at 21" stereotype, and deviation from that don't necessarily mean any immoriality commited by the previous owner/breeder/rescuer etc.

no deviation from the norm doesnt make anyone imoral but i still dont agree with it

What I got from that post (OP's) was that you can't control when rats become sexually mature or when their tezzers appear, not that splitting them early or not sexing them is okay :)
I don't think any of us are perfect tbh.
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:32 am

Jembean wrote:
hedgeweasel wrote:a little bit OT but ...

no deviation from the norm doesnt make anyone imoral but i still dont agree with it

What I got from that post (OP's) was that you can't control when rats become sexually mature or when their tezzers appear, not that splitting them early or not sexing them is okay :)
I don't think any of us are perfect tbh.

either way it matters not now as whats done is done, all we can do is hope for the best

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 pm

For future reference, girls have nipples. Boys don't.

Takara

Post by Takara » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Ziggy wrote:For future reference, girls have nipples. Boys don't.

really???? damn, i must have missed that lesson somewhere along the way(!)

[/end sarcasm]

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Takara wrote:
Ziggy wrote:For future reference, girls have nipples. Boys don't.

really???? damn, i must have missed that lesson somewhere along the way(!)

[/end sarcasm]

:lol:
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Solar

Post by Solar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Well rats are the only species (that I know of) that the males do not have nipples, so not everyone knows that ;)

for future reference boys have tezzors and girls don't. The more you know. :P
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

Takara

Post by Takara » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm

lol he has huge tezzers now o.O - compared to other male rat's i've seen...not that i go about ogling rats "bits" or anything :lol: it was just strange how "female" he looked when i first got him, it was also hard to tell nipples because he was so skittish and extremely wriggly & hyperactive when i first got him, it wasnt until a few days after i got him i was woken up by a racket coming from the cage - and noticed tezzers on a closer inspection of the suspected "humping".

even nessie's nipples aren't very prominent or noticeable, i suppose not all rats have identically identifyable tezzers and nipples :lol: :lol: :lol: or maybe i just need to go and learn the birds and the bees again :rollred: damn that goldfish brain i transplanted as a cool-sounding experiment(!)

wait - that sentence doesn't seem to make a huge lot of sense.

ANYhoo, what ive decided, my friend has 3 girl ratties, and the same kind of cage i have too, so nessie is going around there during the day to spend some time with the girlies until i find out if she's preggers or not. kira - i've been giving some SUPERVISED time with nessie to run about outside the cage, and i plan to get him a little playmate soon, so i'm on the lookout for a little boy needing a home! :dumbo:

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:16 pm

I would not let them run around together supervised or not, it only takes a couple of seconds for them to mate.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

katielittle25

Post by katielittle25 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:52 pm

aimlessdesire wrote:couple of seconds

Sometimes less!
Mr.Squish
I miss you always Princess, Fredo, Rosie and Lulu :halo:

Solar

Post by Solar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Blink and you've missed it.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:17 am

Ditto - I really wouldn't let any male or female rats play together, not ever, supervised or not.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx