Rats on shoulders

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
annc

Rats on shoulders

Post by annc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:46 pm

I feel really scared of having rats on my shoulders in case they slip - which they do sometimes. I would hate to be standing and for them to fall and injure themselves.

My two boys seem to like being round my neck, grooming me etc. Miss Smeeze likes my neck - I think she feels safer there. The others don't stay long.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

jolandra

Re: Rats on shoulders

Post by jolandra » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:50 pm

I was like that the first time my rats went up onto my shoulders and round the back of my neck. They would curl their tails around the front of my neck/face (sometimes giving me a rattie 'tache lol) but it just became natural over time and now I can cope with a few up there at a time. I have to say, Stormsmuggler gets the prize though, with her pic of about 12 rats going from arm to arm and her scarecrow impression trying to hold them all for their trip back to bed after their time out lol. Priceless! :lol:
:smileyrat: KingBob :dumbo: Toby :dumbo:Obi :dumbo:Roddy :dumbo:Scabbers

:halo:Romeo Harry Casanova Valentine Baldrick Nibbler Missy Honey Biscuit Sweetpea Ronnie Reggie Rosie
:dumbohalo: Odin Jellybean Thor Loki

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 am

annc wrote:in case they slip - which they do sometimes.

Make sure you wear something they can get a grip on, and don't clip their nails. :wink:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Flump

Post by Flump » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:08 am

Miss Smeeze, hahahah what a cracking name!! :D

My two fat boys used to shoulder sit but they were so restless and always trying to run around (and yep, stuffing their tails up my nose) that my neck ended up really scratched and itchy cos they never settled - they preferred chillaxing on my lap while I emailed :)
Fuzzbutt Cage Comforts - Fabulous Furniture for your Fuzzies! http://www.fuzzbutt.co.uk
:dumbo: RIP Winston I still miss you :( And all my other Fuzzers at the bridge, Poppy Ploppy Twitch Kebab Wiffy Turbo Flump Pearl Snuffy Franklin Skippy :rainbow:

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

Beleive it or not, but one of my new boys, been here two and a half weeks, attempted our bedtime party trick last night. I was so proud of him as it was little Steel. He`s cottoned on to the idea pretty quick but because of his crippled hand he can`t hold on so well and make the full ascent. So I have deviced a little platform on a rope to assist him or give him somewhere closer to land on should he fall. Can`t wait to try it tonight. He`s such a quick learner. After bathing his foot for 4 or 5 days when he first arrived he was coming over and putting it in the warm water himself :P
I think that we worry more about them falling from great heights than what they do, I`ve had a couple lose their balance and land on the floor only to make the ascent again without so much as batting an eyelid.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

jolandra

Post by jolandra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh bless him, what a little star. Such a sweetheart! :hearts:

:halo:Romeo Harry Casanova Valentine Baldrick Nibbler Missy Honey Biscuit Sweetpea Ronnie Reggie Rosie

PurpleCatti

Post by PurpleCatti » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:35 pm

stormsmuggler wrote:Beleive it or not, but one of my new boys, been here two and a half weeks, attempted our bedtime party trick last night. I was so proud of him as it was little Steel. He`s cottoned on to the idea pretty quick but because of his crippled hand he can`t hold on so well and make the full ascent. So I have deviced a little platform on a rope to assist him or give him somewhere closer to land on should he fall. Can`t wait to try it tonight. He`s such a quick learner. After bathing his foot for 4 or 5 days when he first arrived he was coming over and putting it in the warm water himself :P
I think that we worry more about them falling from great heights than what they do, I`ve had a couple lose their balance and land on the floor only to make the ascent again without so much as batting an eyelid.

And where may I ask are the pictures of this little sweetie??
*prepares to nom*
RIP Manolo, Blahnik, Jimmy, Choo, Sir Bartimus Bumsnake, Harpers, Queen, Oscar, Della, Renta and the rt hon Oscar II.

jolandra

Post by jolandra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 pm

^^ Agree!!! :lol:

Rat Man

Post by Rat Man » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:51 pm

mmm, picies please. :D
Nic The Whiskery Blog
Tilly, Ellie, Dorathy, Barbara, Hilda, Maggie, MiMi, Gemma, Thelma & Louise
and the Mice and gerbils
To All those I have Lost, Sleep Tight, See You Soon XX

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm

here you go. Pics and his story on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=117094&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=poor+broken+rattie&start=15

he`sthe only one who uses the expensive wheel i bought them all too. Turning into quite a character :D
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:35 pm

jack is my star shoulder rat, when i first got him he would just sit on my shoulder for hours and hours, nowadays we go for walks around town.

their pretty good at holding on, but it helps when you have one who really loves it.
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Fri May 01, 2009 6:55 am

I also find that for the neck huggers, wearing a hooded top gives them somewhere to fall into if they lose their grip :D The trouble starts when 2 or 3 600g bucks decide to go to sleep in the hood, effectively strangling you with their weight :roll:

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Fri May 01, 2009 7:38 pm

my old rat Jake used to sit on my shoulder and come down the pub with me :)

2 of my girls are happy to sit on my shoulder while I get breakfst in the morning, they also like to snugle into my luscious, squishy dressing gown :P

Alix luvs Rats

Post by Alix luvs Rats » Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Shaggie loves having shoulder rides (and sitting on my head :lol: ). i always make sure i have a jumper or dressing gown (their fave) which they can hold on to, so they dont fall.

lilratlady

Post by lilratlady » Sun May 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Alix luvs Rats wrote:Shaggie loves having shoulder rides (and sitting on my head :lol: ). i always make sure i have a jumper or dressing gown (their fave) which they can hold on to, so they dont fall.

Same with my girls! They all love to be on the same shoulder. One time they pushed my little Bella off :o I caught her, but she looked quite freaked out(they really did push her off. I was standing in my room near my mirrow and saw them do it lol little brats).

Then one day the all decided my shoulder wasn't cool enough, and now they're all about climbing on top of my head :lol: