Going to university

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Cheridet

Going to university

Post by Cheridet » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Heya, I should be going to university next year but I have four rats to look after. Is there anyone who goes to unversity and is able to take their rats or wont universities allow it?
Thanks

Ratty_Rhian

Re: Going to university

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm

If you live in Halls then it's a definite no-no. If you can find a private landlord who will allow pets then you could try that.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Love-rat

Post by Love-rat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:49 pm

You will need to rent somewhere, halls don't allow pets under any circumstances. You can go with a student letting agency, and organise a flatshare with other students, you will need to get it written into your contract that you can keep pets.
RIP Fuzz and Fuzzier: HKM Chomsky, my licky chomsk (re rbp smeeze) :dumbo: HKM Scabbers, my lovebug scabs (agouti rex) :smileyrat: Magic oh oh oh it's magic.. (black berky) :baby: and Pablo my bubi (minky berky) :baby:

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:06 pm

I kept my rats when I went to Uni - but I didn't go into halls, I went straight into a house with friends. My landlord was fine with us keeping pets :)
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

petrify

Post by petrify » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Do not go to halls with them, they are never allowed and the university will make you get rid of them, or confiscate them..permanently.

A lot of rabbits and hamsters went that way in our halls :(

I had mine when I moved out into private accommodation :) Landlords are very accommodating of caged animals in general.
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

cantfink

Post by cantfink » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 pm

Most if not all Uni's have a housing office or something similar, if you ask them about finding a student share they can help you get flatmates and find a place to stay, but deffo try to either visit first or get fotos! I've lived in places at Uni that were worse than when I squatted in Australia and London! If the place has a private landlord you can write to them and ask for permission but 99% there say no as either no understanding of pet rats or its simply easier not to worry about it. Otherwise the only thing you can do is just not tell the landlord...
Personally I've not told them and all was fine, and told them and all was fine (2 different student houses) however the second was owned by a mate who had met them before so they didn't really care. Best of luck though.
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 pm

I lived in halls for my first year and took the rats. I know they wern't allowed but we lived in a student village with next to no supervision so you could get away with alot of stuff especially as they have to give 24 hours notice before going into your rooms which gave me enough time to hide them somewhere.
In my second year I lived in private accomodation and the landlord agreed to let me take the rats. But as we were so poor we couldn't have the heating on so it got quite cold and I decided it would be best for the rats to stay at home with my mum and brother looking after them. As I only had two days of lectures I tended to come home after this and spend as little time away from them as possible.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

xoffender

Post by xoffender » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:52 pm

I've got a super nice landlord who lets me keep ratties. he'd probably let me keep just about any pet as long as i'm willing to pay for damage.. best bet is to get a privately rented flat and ask if you can keep 'caged' pets.. and don't tell them that they get free-ranged!
hmm bout time i got a signature!!
owned by the 2 girls .. Daisy (aka.. oi! stop it!) & Dorothy (RIP)
and the new boy Hamish :)

popidler

Post by popidler » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm a university postgraduate and keep rats, albeit in privately rented accommodation.

You're unlikely to be able to keep pets in a hall of residence - firstly, it will almost certainly be banned in the contract, and secondly the room is unlikely to be big enough for a cage, stored bedding, food, toys and so on. Our cleaners had a master key and would go into our rooms when we were out, so it could be difficult to hide them.

Most universities have a student housing office; they'll keep lists of approved landlords/letting agencies and maybe have a online or offline noticeboard of people looking for housemates and so on. There may be more flexibility over whether a private landlord will let you keep "small caged pets" - a couple of mine haven't, but this one does.

There are pros and cons to both (aside from the rat issue). Halls can be noisy and not everyone likes them, but it does mean you meet lots of other freshers, the university might organise events there and it's easier to feel part of the university and develop a social life, especially if you've moved to a new place and don't know many people. Privately rented accommodation usually means you'll be living in a houseshare - you'll have your own bedroom, but you'll share a kitchen, bathroom and living room. The people you live with might be second or third years. You might feel a bit more isolated but on the other hand you'll be more independent, it'll probably be quieter and with luck, you'll be able to keep your rats. You'll still make friends, especially if you join societies and so on, but it might be a bit less immediate than everyone on your floor going out for the night.

Hope this helps.
Movable climbing frame to Rowan, Willow and Tamar
RIP Rani, Ruby, Charlie, Rat and Asha :hearts:

Embas_Ratties

Post by Embas_Ratties » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:44 pm

When i went to uni my last rats had just died - but they was no way my halls of residence would have let me keep them. I now live with my parents so i have rats now. Before i was looking for private housing but some landlords are very anti pets even goldfish let alone hamster, rats etc. Make sure you permission in your contract just to be safe.
Emba

:love: Ratties :love:
:baby: Echo :baby: Nero :baby: Oreo R.I.P :halo: Vodka :halo: Ice

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 pm

I had pets in Halls... the only person who came in our rooms was the maitenance person but only when you had submitted a form about a problem, so I was able to hide them... I never got found out or told off about my animals.. and I know if i was told to get rid of them my Mum would take them... I now live in a rented house, it wasnt stated in our contract about pets so we just had them. The landlady came in our rooms once and went mad... especially about my critter cage (and two of my other housemates had Jenny cages...). After a bit of a heated debate about the contract saying nowt about pets she gave us permission, partly because the mouseman who came around to look at our mouse problem said that pet rats help the mouse problem :D oh and the only thing thats got eaten is the curtains :roll:
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts: