PAH adoption/rescue system

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
pb4

PAH adoption/rescue system

Post by pb4 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know what happens to the animals within the adoption/rescue section of PAH if they don't find a home? Is there a time frame or do they stay there until they get re-homed?
Linus :dumbohalo: Franklin :dumbohalo: Snoopy :halo: Spike :halo:

tagalong

Re: PAH adoption/rescue system

Post by tagalong » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm

I know they get swapped from store to store but after that I don't know
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

pb4

Post by pb4 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

tagalong wrote:I know they get swapped from store to store but after that I don't know
Thats sad :( I was thinking of asking them but I didn't know if they would be able to tell me, I guess it depends upon the individual store.

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 pm

Normally they stay there however long is necessary for them to get rehomed. If they're in a smaller store that doesn't have a lot of 'people traffic' they will get transferred to a larger store where they will have a better chance of being rehomed. I work in the biggest PAH up North so we usually get all the animals that are having trouble being adopted elsewhere. We had a rabbit in recently that had been in another store for 2 months and was unable to find a home because of her severe aggression. We had her spayed and she went to her new home a few weeks later.
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

pb4

Post by pb4 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Sara_C wrote:Normally they stay there however long is necessary for them to get rehomed. If they're in a smaller store that doesn't have a lot of 'people traffic' they will get transferred to a larger store where they will have a better chance of being rehomed. I work in the biggest PAH up North so we usually get all the animals that are having trouble being adopted elsewhere. We had a rabbit in recently that had been in another store for 2 months and was unable to find a home because of her severe aggression. We had her spayed and she went to her new home a few weeks later.
Thats good :)

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I would imagine that they find homes much quicker than those in rescue centres, as people would see them whilst out shopping rather than specifically thinking of adopting a rat and contacting a rescue. and theres no homecheck etc so its easier/quicker, also lots of people feel more sorry for them and worry who would take them if they didn't, worry that they'll end up staying as lone rats etc...

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Felix wrote:I would imagine that they find homes much quicker than those in rescue centres, as people would see them whilst out shopping rather than specifically thinking of adopting a rat and contacting a rescue. and theres no homecheck etc so its easier/quicker, also lots of people feel more sorry for them and worry who would take them if they didn't, worry that they'll end up staying as lone rats etc...
And I would imagine that lots of other people just see them, and think 'cool, clearance rat, I will have that' and keep them as a lone rat
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Woody wrote:
Felix wrote:I would imagine that they find homes much quicker than those in rescue centres, as people would see them whilst out shopping rather than specifically thinking of adopting a rat and contacting a rescue. and theres no homecheck etc so its easier/quicker, also lots of people feel more sorry for them and worry who would take them if they didn't, worry that they'll end up staying as lone rats etc...
And I would imagine that lots of other people just see them, and think 'cool, clearance rat, I will have that' and keep them as a lone rat
If they were going to keep it as a lone rat then it hopefully wouldn't get sold to them in the first place. Staff are supposed to sell rats in pairs unless they're being introduced to others.
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Sara_C wrote:
If they were going to keep it as a lone rat then it hopefully wouldn't get sold to them in the first place. Staff are supposed to sell rats in pairs unless they're being introduced to others.
your store seems to be very different from others, over this way, many of the pah rescues are lone rats that often come with a 'will not get on with other rats' notice. (and several have been homed by people i know - who've done so just so they dont have to worry about them living a life of solitude with someone who's taken the staff's warning on board)

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:25 pm

Felix wrote:
Sara_C wrote:
your store seems to be very different from others, over this way, many of the pah rescues are lone rats that often come with a 'will not get on with other rats' notice. (and several have been homed by people i know - who've done so just so they dont have to worry about them living a life of solitude with someone who's taken the staff's warning on board)
Zippy and Mr Rat both had a "Will not get on with other rats" tag as they were both brought in for being aggressive / fighting with their cage mates. I did tell the staff when I adopted them that they wouldn't be living alone. Mr Rat never said boo to a goose and was the sweetest little guy. I can see why hyperactive Zippy may have come across as "aggressive", but you never know how experienced their previous owners and the staff in the shop are.
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

petrify

Post by petrify » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Felix wrote:
Sara_C wrote:
I rescued one girl who had that on her "notice", it also said that she would bite. But, I chucked her in with my other 7 girls and she was fine...she does bite, but only a tester....and if you wake her up :roll: But she is a lovely girl who loves, no, craves attention!

(PS, PAH thought she was preggers, so I actually got her without donating.)
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey

laa

Post by laa » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Felix wrote:
Sara_C wrote:
ditto, i got my sable as he had that tag and couldnt bear to think of him living alone forever. he was a little nippy, and a little bit of a bully but not so bad i would separate him from others!
:hearts: Monster, Monkey, Jareth & Ludo :hearts:
:rainbow: Loki, Shake, Dahl, 'Olly', Vac, Bishop, Shakespeare, Burton, Gomaz, Harley, Greebo, Cobway, Ichabod, Marmite, Moran, Iago, Carlos, Oliver, George, Squishee, Sable, Bailey :rainbow:

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:33 pm

I don't think my store's necessarily better than others - trust me, it's far from perfect! I think when it comes to rats staff are just a little uneducated. They might see a rat fighting with it's cagemate and separate them without knowing that with neutering/careful intros they might get on with each other. If they left them together to tear pieces out of each other that wouldn't be any better. I think sometimes staff that aren't rat savvy just err on the side of caution, thinking they're doing the rats a favour. If anything I think some stores are just lucky that they have rat savvy people that know about rat care in detail, rather than others who have learned, but not experienced rat behaviour first hand. As far as PAH's 'official' poilcy goes though, social animals like gerbils, guineas, rabbits, rats etc should always be homed in pairs. I've flatly refused sales of rats and other animals because a customer intended to keep them by themselves...hopefully other staff elsewhere do the same.

Woody

Post by Woody » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 pm

But I guess that even for those stores like yours (that from the previous comments seems unusual), all you have to go on is the persons word for what their home conditions are like?
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 pm

My local pah will sell lone rats. When I was there just after christmas they had a group of rats in one tank and a single in the next tank..all girls. I asked why the lone didnt have company and the woman said there were too many to put her in with the other group and the others had been sold. I asked her as well about selling loan rats ut she said they can only advice people to get a pair she cant insist on it.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue