Rats on a budget

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
little_rat_lover

Re: Rats on a budget

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun May 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Yup - on that note, if you have somewhere to do it, you can try growing anything :D May not be free but certainly won't cost much!
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

icklepinkrat

Post by icklepinkrat » Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 pm

I make hammocks out of Wilkos flannels. They do a pack of 3 for about 89p and come in loads of colours so you can co-ordinate! Plus they absorb wee quite well, as my girls are lazy so & sos who won't get out of bed to pee! :rollred:
:smileyrat: Rosie, Bella,Tinker, Peanut, Tilly :olddumbobuck: Bob, Sid, Cartman & Jynx

:rainbow: Marbles, Smudge, Poppy, Hooch, Rex, Patch, Bubbles

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 pm

does anyone have any tips for cheap litter trays? as my cage numbers keep growing recently I fell I cant justify £5 a time on a litter tray when that could buy food/dr squiggles/ivermectin/ vets fees etc!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Maybe take a hacksaw to a washing up bowl? Or Tupperware?
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

msmara

Post by msmara » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Athena wrote:does anyone have any tips for cheap litter trays? as my cage numbers keep growing recently I fell I cant justify £5 a time on a litter tray when that could buy food/dr squiggles/ivermectin/ vets fees etc!
I have several litter trays, as I'm terrible for buying cheap stuff. I paid £1 each in wilkinson, also got some in Morrisons & Poundland.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:51 pm

ive never seen them in poundland! that excites me though! do you bother burning a hole in them to attach with cable ties? (im assuming they are the cat litter trays)
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:52 pm

I've had cat litter trays from poundland too :) They don't have them all the time though.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

msmara

Post by msmara » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Athena wrote:ive never seen them in poundland! that excites me though! do you bother burning a hole in them to attach with cable ties? (im assuming they are the cat litter trays)
I used my housemates drill instead of burning 'em, but not all of them have holes, no. The one currently in my cage is just on the cage floor :)
Samara & the Squishness
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Athena

Post by Athena » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:58 pm

thank you 8)

kell74

Post by kell74 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:28 am

great ideas, thanks a bunch
with food can i freeze it in small bags so i just have to grab one out and give it to them?
as in potato, pumpkin, mushrooms, parsnip, peas, corn... will save a load as well

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:57 am

kell74 wrote:great ideas, thanks a bunch
with food can i freeze it in small bags so i just have to grab one out and give it to them?
as in potato, pumpkin, mushrooms, parsnip, peas, corn... will save a load as well
yep you can freeze it. I bought a bag of Sainsbury's frozen mixed veg for my boys so I can mix it with fresh veg, but if I don't have any fresh they still have some veg (that was really long was of saying yes, yes it's fine lol)
Samara & the Squishness

kell74

Post by kell74 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 am

lol ok thanks :)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I find not being able to use paypal is saving me an awful lot of money :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on