Feeling awful :(

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
StormySkye

Feeling awful :(

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 am

I had to take Lily to the vet today as she's really very unwell, and what happened there was horrid. She's lethargic and unresponsive, and clearly in a lot of pain, so the vet and I both wanted to get some painkillers into her but she won't take anything.

So the vet decided it'd be best to just inject her with a pain med (can't remember the name, but not metacam) that would last her about two days. I was very reluctant but being there with her, I knew we wouldn't be able to get the antibiotics into her if she didn't perk up a bit, so it seemed the best thing to do.

I held her while the vet injected the pain meds (she used the smallest needle she had, but it was clearly still felt) and the noise Lily made when the needle went in was like nothing I've ever heard before from a rat :cry: It was like when a small child falls over in the playground; the startled cry of pain which then melds into a wail :( I was on the verge of tears then, and even the vet felt awful, but she wouldn't eat anything and she was in so much pain... I think I need reassurrance that I'm not a horrible mother, because I felt awful for holding her still and putting her through added pain :(
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Athena

Re: Feeling awful :(

Post by Athena » Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 am

It would have been a seconds pain, for something worthwhile, you are not a bad mother at all, we have to make these choices for them and we have to believe that somehow they know we are looking out for them. How is she doing now? And stop being so hard on yourself!
Xxx
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 am

I agree with Athena. A moments pain will be worth two whole days without. Don't be so hard on yourself you made the right decision it's just sometimes the right decisions are the hardest ones to make when you own an animal :(
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 am

For what it is worth, it probably wasn't so much the pain as the shock. My Rosie goes ballistic whenever the vet even touches her ... and let's out a scream that would freeze your blood. When she has to have an injection, she is fine though. So try not to worry - she probably wasn't hurting as much as you think. She was just protesting. And you needed to do it, for her own good.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 am

Agreed with everyone else's sentiments - much as she complained at the time, I'm sure she'd grudgingly thank you at the end of the two days, if she could :) We all know rats can be noisy little beggars at the best of times, and love guilt-tripping us in the hope of extra fuss and treats - I'd wager that was her plan all along ;)

You did exactly what any of us would have done, for all the right reasons - you want your little lady to feel better. There's nothing wrong with that!
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 9:03 am

Thank you all so much, it really makes me feel a lot better to know I've done the right thing :hearts: She's really perked up over the last few hours and has even been eating, and gave me kisses so I know I've been forgiven :love: I really hopes she gets better asap, I hate seeing my babies sick :(

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 am

I agree with what everyone else says. My rat Lucy Liu (RIP) had to have regular steroid injections and she hated them. As bad was that it was always my lovely vet Nick who did them and he hated giving them. We knew it helped.

When he had to do ear prick tests on Ripley and Newt to test bleeding/clotting times he took them out the back to do it...or maybe get someone else to!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

emily97

Post by emily97 » Mon May 30, 2011 11:00 am

You did the right thing for her, and you are not a bad mummy i'm afraid you have to be cruel to be kind.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am

Thank you all so much, you really are the loveliest people and definitely make me feel better :hearts:

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Mon May 30, 2011 12:13 pm

Awwww, glad you're feeling better about it!

Even if it had hurt, sometimes we do have to do things for them they don't want as to, part of our job as their humans! But some of my rats will squeal and wail when I clip their claws (I've seen forum posts on this before too!) and that definitely doesn't hurt them - rats are very good at making us feel guilty!!! I've had a couple of rats have injections now and they range from not seeming to notice to noisy reactions :love:
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 1:08 pm

They sure are noisy little things, which is very stressful! :roll: Can't help but love them :love:

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Mon May 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Last time I took Rosie, she started the banshee wailing, as usual. Then she noticed the vet nurse - who is very fond of Rosie (for reasons I cannot fathom!) and the vet nurse produced a jelly tot. Poor Rosie was absolutely torn ... squeal ... jelly tot ...squeal ... jelly tot. Her poor little face was a picture of frantic indecision. In the end, the jelly tot won and there wasn't a beep out of Rosie for the rest of the consultation. :lol:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Alijane wrote:Last time I took Rosie, she started the banshee wailing, as usual. Then she noticed the vet nurse - who is very fond of Rosie (for reasons I cannot fathom!) and the vet nurse produced a jelly tot. Poor Rosie was absolutely torn ... squeal ... jelly tot ...squeal ... jelly tot. Her poor little face was a picture of frantic indecision. In the end, the jelly tot won and there wasn't a beep out of Rosie for the rest of the consultation. :lol:
That's given me a good laugh :lol: