Rats gender

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Benny1

Rats gender

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 am

Hi I didnt know where to post this so hope its ok to post it here.About 3 weeks ago I got 3 rats from pets at home and was told that they were all males and I would be able to tell better in a couple of weeks time.Yesterday when I went to the pet shop I got another 2 male rats I can now tell the difference.The ones I got first are girls cos I think I can see nipples on them.Would I be able to take the males back to pets at home for a refund or exchange as it was their mistake in the first place or how much would it cost in £ to get them neutered each.Thnx for any advice in advance :D

RattyRenton

Re: Rats gender

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:29 am

Welcome :)

Depends on the vet, you will need to find a rat-competent vet in your area and ask for prices. I pay £42. Most vets aren't happy to neuter boys before they are 6 months old.

Pets at Home are known for not being able to sex rats. It couldn't be easier, the girls have nipples the boys have balls.

If you decide not to neuter the boys please please don't send them back to Pets at Home, find them a lovely new home. (not sure if they can be advertised on here due to the circumstances, you will need to ask the Admin). I would also urge you not to buy rats, or any animal, from a pet shop, here is why http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... =5&t=85838.

Have a good look around the forum for info on how best to care for your new additions.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:51 am

I dread to think at what young age they were sold to you if it wasn't completely clear what sex they were :roll: If you really can't keep the boys, neutering is not an option on kittens, I would agree with trying to rehome them responsibly, and if you then want more girls then look around for a better option than a pet shop/rodent farm situation. :luck:
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:14 pm

Thnx for the replies.I was thinking after seeing the pictures that was posted I might just keep them.That really opened my eyes to places like that.Its just really sad to see that.I was in the other day at the adoption bit and one of the rats I was goin to get was making a noise in its chest and I got told they were goin to take it to the vets and give it antibiotics so I hope thats what they have done especially as they were the ones who pointed out the problem to me.I have a smaller cage than the one I have for the girls so i'll keep them in there until their old enough.Would it be ok for me to swap their cages every once in a while so the all get a shot of each cage ?? or do they need to stay in the cage their in.

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:35 pm

My vets you're looking at around £40-45 per rat for a neuter - some vets are a bit more or less, so it's not a cheap option.

Age depends - I've read about people doing them as young as 10 weeks, my vets will at that age but prefer 12-14 weeks, it's easier when the males testicles are full sized which sometimes they're not by 10 weeks (especially in pet shop rats) - the vets I use consider no safety difference from around 12 weeks upwards. The vets will check their testicles are fully descended and normal before operating.

But some people are against elective neutering (ie for no medical/hormonal reasons) so you do have to decide your own thoughts on it, as no matter what there is some risk with any operation. I've had 3 boys neutered electively at about 13/14 weeks, so I'm not against, but you do need to remember that occasionally it can go wrong.

The main thing is to find a good vet, recommendation is the best way, there's a list on the forum somewhere :)

How big are the 2 cages? You need to use this: http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... culator/to see if they're big enough, I'd not swap around myself.You need both cages to be big enough for their respective group, if your smaller cage isn't you could try ebay perhaps to get a cheap 2nd hand cage though, or the market place on here.
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:46 pm

little_rat_lover wrote: But some people are against elective neutering (ie for no medical/hormonal reasons) so you do have to decide your own thoughts on it, as no matter what there is some risk with any operation. I've had 3 boys neutered electively at about 13/14 weeks, so I'm not against, but you do need to remember that occasionally it can go wrong.
Admittedly so but from P@H there is a fairly high likelihood that the rats will need neutering anyway as breeding farms don't selectively breed for behaviour traits. Also it is though that testosterone shortens a rats life a little http://www.reproduction-online.org/cont ... 3.full.pdf . If they were from an ethical breeder who ensures that their rats have been bred for temperament then I don't think I would even consider castration but for pet shop rats I would certainly give it some thought.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Thnx I really do appreciate all ur advice.Is pets at homes animals like the ones in the pictures ?? Like the ones in the back.I have had all the rats out playing together to try and get used to each other and they seem fine and I know not to keep them together for too long in case they fight or I end up with more little rats lol.

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Don't put the boys and girls together! Rats mating takes literally a few seconds.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

ratfan70

Post by ratfan70 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:12 pm

I`m not sure if i completely understood your post but if i`m correct you have 2 groups 2 boys and 2 girls? If this is the case do not let them out together at all as you are more than likely to end up with 2 pregnant girl rats on your hands, it really does only take a couple of seconds for them to mate.
mum/slave to Casper, Rico, Todd, Pepper, Louis, Riley, Cosmo, Alfie & Loki.

Missing my little ones at the bridge: Ziggy, Snowy, Buddy, Rocky & Diesel. RIP Boys!

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 pm

:O I never knew that.They didnt try and climb on each other or anything they just sniffed and that was close as they got.I'll make sure to keep them apart from now on until their old enough to get neutered.

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Forgot to say that one of the rats I got 3 weeks ago keeps squealing when I pick it up and even if u just touch it slightly.Im still unsure to whether the other 3 ARE girls.Im pretty sure they are but cant be certain :-| If I took some pics of the ones I think are girls could u let me know what u think.I know u will know better than me.I have researched into rats before I got them but the only thing that I didnt look for was the breeding and how to tell the sex of the rats which seems completely stupid.And I only found out about the petshop after I got them from there.Im really sry to bother u all with this but I thought U should ask just to make sure :D

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 pm

If you get photo's of there bellys we should be able to see. The key thing to look for is nipples, if they have them they are girls.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Benny1

Post by Benny1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Here is one of them here.If the picture isnt clear enough I will take another one.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww19 ... to0590.jpg

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 pm

Both girls, i can see nipples on them and they have vagina's.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June