Rat Harness?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
MarieM

Rat Harness?

Post by MarieM » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Do you think this harness would be suitable for use in the garden?

http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catal ... -1015.html
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

siberiankiss

Re: Rat Harness?

Post by siberiankiss » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 pm

I've never really heard anything positive about rat and harnesses - they can wriggle out of them, and I'm sure they feel uncomfortable wearing them - they don't like to be constrained.

Much better to build them an outdoor run/pen or something if you want them to experience the outdoors
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

saz87

Post by saz87 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:34 pm

i bought 1 of these years ago and it didnt go down very well, most can wriggle straight out of it, some hate it and just sit still trying to 'groom' it off. the only ones i've found that didn't mind it are giant squishy bucks who care about nothing but lounging around and aren't at all interested in going for a 'walk' anyway and just park their bums in the grass and fall asleep! :roll:
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I bought one of those ages ago, for my first boys. Firstly, it didn't fit my eNOURmous bucks (tho I think you have girls?) and secondly - they hated it. Squirmed and squeaked and wriggled and panicked and tried to get out of it and chew it off. It was so distressing to watch, I only tried it on them once. They really weren't going to get enough out of wearing it to make up for the distress in learning to wear it, so I didn't pursue it.
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:30 am

I would imagine rats would hate wearing such things. Okay, I'll leave it, thanks everyone. :D

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I used to use one as an extra safety precaution for shoulder rats at shows. Loads of people used to do the same, but you hardly ever see as such now. Mine was home made and a figure of 8, rather than one that looks too big for even a fat boy heh. If you are after one then go for the string types, generally marketed bizarely at hamsters I think! Mine never seemed to mind the one I had, but like with larger animals, I did give them ages at home free ranging to get used to both the harness and having a lead attached.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I used to have a figure of 8 stringy type one for my first rat. I tried him outside once in it and he hid under the patio table cover and pooed himself :(
He was fine with it on, but I only used it when taking him to friend's houses, in the same way Beri mentioned as a precaution. It wouldn't hurt to try, just make sure it's somewhere safe. I've not had a rat since who would entertain the idea!
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

Flox

Post by Flox » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:35 am

I'm trying one of these figure-eight harnesses with my boy, because I feel if he could cope with it he'd really appreciate the extra freedom. First try wasn't bad, but not so great - he shook a lot to try and remove it, and groomed, but was OK when he was running around... my only concern is; how do you know you're not choking them?! I guess they cross over underneath, so it's less likely - but I found it really hard to find the balance between tight enough (but not choking) and loose enough (but not easy to wriggle out of).

I'll try it again - if he really hates it, I won't use it, but I'll give him chance to 'get used to it' before I decide.

Marie, I've seen the style you linked to, but I've seen more posts here saying the cross-over style is better, which is why I'm trying that one. Easier to get them in to, I guess. But it does come with the whole choking worry...

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:20 am

I have a red stringy one that's made for ferrets which I made by ferplast I think! It does work but I only trust it on my bucks and some of mt bigger does, again I'm the same with not knowing its to tight or loose!

My boys seem to enjoy having it on though and like the freedom :)
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:29 am

I have the string/fugure 8 one and have been trying it on the younger girls so that I can use it confidently if I ever take them out as shoulder rats, once it's on they don't mind to much, more sort of look at me as if to say "what this time mum?.... Ok as long as there's yoggies" :lol:
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

hardcorejillz

Post by hardcorejillz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:00 pm

I bought the Ferplast figure of 8 one too. I put it on my biggest buck Rodney & it seemed to fit well, but when I set him on the floor he panicked and ran in behind the table with a terrified look on his face. Havent tried it on him since but if I do try again, I will let him sit on my shoulder for a while first then take him into the bathroom where theres nothing to hide behind! Dont see much point using it on my girls as they are voice activated (come when i call them lol!) anyway whereas the boys just hide behind everything in the rat room :-|
Mummy to Poppy, Pippin, Timmy & Rodney x
RIP: Bubbles, Squeak, Shady, Taz, Henley, Turbo & Scooby x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:26 pm

Flox wrote:my only concern is; how do you know you're not choking them?! I guess they cross over underneath, so it's less likely - but I found it really hard to find the balance between tight enough (but not choking) and loose enough (but not easy to wriggle out of).
I'm not sure you actually can choke them, because there's not contact with enough of the relevant bits of the neck. Of course this is when using it properly and safely, you probably could if you were dangling them in mid air or something :lol: I think tightness is a bit trial and error.

I had mine (macramed thick cotton thread) tight but not pinching. Not sure I have a photo, but mine was the other way round with the x-over between the shoulder blades. However it was 2 independently tightened loops - I had the one round the chest as the main one, and the neck one to stop the chest one sliding backwards. With the commercial ones I think they're one big loop with a single point of restriction? Not really sure, trial and error!
hardcorejillz wrote:Dont see much point using it on my girls as they are voice activated (come when i call them lol!) anyway whereas the boys just hide behind everything in the rat room :-|
I wouldn't have them on a harness instead of free range. IMO free range is for them to do what they want, although of course at the end, it is handy not to have to look behind everything for them :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:59 am

acapae_wolf wrote:I wouldn't have them on a harness instead of free range. IMO free range is for them to do what they want, although of course at the end, it is handy not to have to look behind everything for them :lol:
I can imagine the room looking like some sort of commando training course covered with criss crossed trip wires... :lol:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Flox

Post by Flox » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:07 am

Yeah, they're not daft. First thing mine did was wrap the lead round my neck and try to strangle me. "How do you like it?"

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Flox wrote:Yeah, they're not daft. First thing mine did was wrap the lead round my neck and try to strangle me. "How do you like it?"
:lol: