Lost rattie found me...

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Alijane

Re: Lost rattie found me...

Post by Alijane » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:34 pm

mad_as_aurora wrote:thanks to secretpennell I have now borrowed a jenny cage until I can move mine down here (its still at the parents house!). Also, secretpennell has a rat rescue place and was able to find Perdus a new friend, or as it so seems, his first friend, it would appear he has never seen another rat...
I'm now keeping a close eye on Perdus & Vito to make sure there are no nasty scraps. Hoping they will be pals soon enough! Wish me luck!
Ah - you are lucky - Secretpennell has taken you under her wing! She has given me loads of ratties in the past and they have all been little darlings.

mad_as_aurora

Post by mad_as_aurora » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 am

ok so the intro didnt quite go to plan....just had to separate the boys. Perdus is bleeding :'-(
Dawn

RIP Molly & Gracie. Now the proud owner of Perdus & Vito
*Note - bold/colour tags/extra lines removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 am

If he's got no social skills, intros may need to go slowly. Start on neutral ground, then when that looks ok, build up to a small cage or cat carrier, and when they are ok in there, put them in (a very well cleaned) main cage without any furniture they can get territorial about. And when they are ok there, add furniture.

But if he hasn't seen a rat for a while, it is going to take time for him to understand how to behave.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

MarianFL

Post by MarianFL » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I have had a couple of sticky intros, and have followed Jemma's excellent advice, which worked very well both times. You should be able to find it if you search the forum.

Alternatively, you could always ask Jackie to help you out with intro! I'm sure she wouldn't mind!
Owned by Barney, Darla and Dory.:love:
:rainbow: Never forgotten: Jam, Lemmy, Rosie, Malarkey and Roxy

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Sorry, I wasn't sure from reading back......has Perdus had antibiotics and been mite treated? It's always recommended when rats have been outside for an amount of time, and from the condition you describe him he could've been out for a while.

Rats can pick things up when outside, particularly from their wild cousins. I know one of these is Weils Disease (which humans can get) but I think something else also....maybe a strep type bacterium? I rescued a rat last year or the year before which was caught in someone's back garden and I queried on here what he should have to make sure he was healthy. He was quarantined at a local vets for 2 or 3 weeks before I brought him home here, and he did have a course of ABs while he was there.

Good luck with the intros by the way
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

mad_as_aurora

Post by mad_as_aurora » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks all for your advice :-) Jackie has taken Perdus & Vito back to hers tonight to try and do the intro herself. Im sure she will have more luck than me, she is much more experienced in this area than I am and I trust her completely. With regard to mites, quarantine and AB, Jackie sees no need to put Perdus through any of this. His tail is now fully recovered so I do not suspect it was mites. He looks very healthy apart from being a bit skinny.
Dawn

*Note - bold/colour tags/extra lines removed to meet the signature guidelines. (Please remove this note once seen, thank you.)*

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:02 pm

I am sure Jackie will be successful, she does seem to have a 'way' with difficult rats and has immense patience and experience, hope they will both be back with you very soon :hearts:
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I really don't understand why it's been decided not to quarantine this rat or treat it with some ABs. Lets hope he isn't carrying anything, especially now he is in a place where there are lots of rats :o

I agree that intros should take place much more slowly when a rat has no social skills. Good luck.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:11 pm

siberiankiss wrote:I really don't understand why it's been decided not to quarantine this rat or treat it with some ABs. Lets hope he isn't carrying anything, especially now he is in a place where there are lots of rats :o
Or treat for internal parasites or mites/lice.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:15 pm

spoiled_rat wrote:
siberiankiss wrote:I really don't understand why it's been decided not to quarantine this rat or treat it with some ABs. Lets hope he isn't carrying anything, especially now he is in a place where there are lots of rats :o
Or treat for internal parasites or mites/lice.
I agree =/

I might sound hypocritical to those that know me but my view is that as the OP had no rats at present then this would have acted as q'tine as its a totally different air space.

I didnt know about internal parasites until Lilly and Spoiled_rat mentionned it to me :)
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:27 pm

There have been lots of debates lately about quarantine and treating rats that have been outside for infections and internal parasites.
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... =shed+boys

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... s#p1445654
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:31 pm

you might also find this information by Alison Campbell useful
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... quarantine
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 pm

I agree with those above the rat has been outside and you don't know what he could have picked up, it seems like a risk to the rat being introduced and now a further risk to Jackie's rats as she took them to hers.

ETA: On a lightly different note I am happy he found someone who clearly cares about his well being. :luck:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

mad_as_aurora

Post by mad_as_aurora » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:23 pm

if jackie thought perdus had picked something up she wouldnt be risking her other rats by introducing him to them...
Dawn

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:25 pm

mad_as_aurora wrote:if jackie thought perdus had picked something up she wouldnt be risking her other rats by introducing him to them...
Trouble is she couldn't possibly know that, different viruses/bacteria have different incubation periods.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!