Lost rattie found me...

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Amzy

Re: Lost rattie found me...

Post by Amzy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:27 pm

mad_as_aurora wrote:if jackie thought perdus had picked something up she wouldnt be risking her other rats by introducing him to them...
....but no-one knows what this rat has been in contact with and what he could be potentially be carrying internally....

eta: Rowan beat me
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:42 pm

The tail damage he was found with suggests that he has been out for some time, which is a concern. When Chelsea was caught in the park, she was in amazing condition, shiny coat, bright eyes, no damage, yet she had been living in a burrow in the ground for at least 2 months and raised at least 2 back to back litters and the Park Rats having been born outside and got old enough to get pregnant and be due must have been out for at least 7 weeks. All were treated with Ab's and mite treatment, at the time I didn't know anything about internal parasites so they weren't treated for that.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

KateR

Post by KateR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:46 pm

When we got May, who was handed into our old vets, apparently having been found is someone's garden, we were advised by Ann Storey to ivermec her, quarantine her and give her doxy to cover for Weil's. We didn't have a separate airspace but had her in a bedroom as far away from our rat room as possible, kept the door shut, kept clothes in there to wear when we went in, took them off before coming out and alcohol-gelled ourselves too.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 pm

stormsmuggler wrote:The tail damage he was found with suggests that he has been out for some time, which is a concern. When Chelsea was caught in the park, she was in amazing condition, shiny coat, bright eyes, no damage, yet she had been living in a burrow in the ground for at least 2 months and raised at least 2 back to back litters and the Park Rats having been born outside and got old enough to get pregnant and be due must have been out for at least 7 weeks. All were treated with Ab's and mite treatment, at the time I didn't know anything about internal parasites so they weren't treated for that.
FR admin also contacted us to ask whether they had ABs and had been q'tined prior to putting them on the rehoming boards for us.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 am

I am afraid that rats can carry Weils with no outward signs of illness and are therefore a risk to humans and other rats if they have *potentially* been exposed to this illness. If he was 'starving and dehydrated' then he was likely outside for a while and he would only have needed to be exposed to the urine of an infected wild rat during that time. Personally I would not consider it to be an acceptable risk regardless of deciding against other more usual quarantines/treatments, because Weils can be fatal to humans (and can be passed on through urine contact so you don't need to be bitten) and if he's been wandering outside then you can't possibly argue there was no "potential exposure".
All were treated with Ab's and mite treatment, at the time I didn't know anything about internal parasites so they weren't treated for that.
If you ivermeced that would deal with a lot of internal parasites too. :-)
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am

tabirat wrote:
All were treated with Ab's and mite treatment, at the time I didn't know anything about internal parasites so they weren't treated for that.
If you ivermeced that would deal with a lot of internal parasites too. :-)
Ivermectin is rubbish for tapeworm though, which is why something like Panacur is advisable :)
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.