Ratty travel - house move

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
mrsnimh

Ratty travel - house move

Post by mrsnimh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm trying desperately to rehouse my rats as I'm about to move house and I can't take them with me - as in not allowed to. However, if I can't find them a home before I have to pack up and leave then of course they'll have to come along temporarily and housing rules be damned. My bother is that it's stressful enough moving house in the first place, I have two groups of three in an Explorer - two of them are prone to being panicky in the first place and I have nowhere to leave them somewhere calm so I could collect them once I'd got to the new place.
Also, I'm going from Brighton to London and I can't take them in the removal van, I don't know anyone with a car who'll be available on that day so I'm really confused as to what's best for the ratties?

I could put them in two separate carriers and get my daughters to bring them up on the train but we'd have to make sure we're going to end up in the same place at around the same time. The travel - train and tube and bus and then the stress of making sure their cage is the last thing dismantled and the first thing put back together at the other end is making me very worried for the health and stress levels of the rats.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make this easier if I don't manage to rehome them? (been trying to find them a new place since May with no joy so far) I'm not moving until mid-August so this isn't a last-moment panic. I just thought they'd have found a safe new place to live by now and it hasn't gone to plan.
Currently owned by Edward, Shaun, Lancelot, Linus, Barry & Abraham

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Ratty travel - house move

Post by a_wee_one » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 am

I'm moving house in less than a month and i intend to leave the rats in their cage till last minute, then pop them in their carriers and put the cages on teh van in tact (cleaned of any substrate etc) then they will be first off the van and put in the new rat room, and the cages can be set up and rats settled while we move in around them. I have 21 to move on the day too plus 2 mice, it's going to be quite a feat! :o
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:14 am

How have you been trying to rehome them? I dont see anything from you in the rehoming section, so it may be a good idea to put them there. Have you contacted any local rescues?

I dont think thats too long a journey so they'd probably be fine in a carrier :)
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

mrsnimh

Post by mrsnimh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 am

Blimey, 21 of them, you are brave! Removals men said no to animals on board so that's where I'm at a loss.
My rats were advertised on the rehoming board as from May but got pruned as I got no replies, I have asked to have them put back on there to see if there's any takers for them. We don't have any very local rescues, our RSPCA is already overloaded with animals.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:32 am

We're self driving a van so as much as i would love to hire a removals company to save me all the lugging, it's not something we can afford so will be done by ourselves.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

mrsnimh

Post by mrsnimh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 am

a_wee_one wrote:We're self driving a van so as much as i would love to hire a removals company to save me all the lugging, it's not something we can afford so will be done by ourselves.
I'm having to borrow money for removals, I have chronic fatigue syndrome and seriously cannot do any of it myself. I also can't drive. :(
Hope your move goes well, I am hoping this will be my last move ever! Hate it so much.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 am

Yeah i'm not looking forward to it. If you have chronic fatigue sysndrommaybe you can get a grant or soemthing? I'm not sure how it works.

It's not so much moving day i'm dreading as the boxing up of everything and trowing out things it's just going to be a massive pain. Good luck with your move. I hope it's your last move too as i will have moed 3 times in 3 years by the time i'm done! Thats me for at least 5 years though even if i have to squat there. I'm moving nowhere! :lol:

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:52 pm

To save the stress on moving day if you havent rehomed them by then is there someone who can ratsit for you until your daughters can bring them down?
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow

mrsnimh

Post by mrsnimh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:02 pm

I haven't got anyone to rat-sit, unfortunately. It's because the Explorer's so massive and I don't know anyone who has spare smaller cages or room for this one. The only people I know who have enough floor space also have too many cats and I'd not be at all happy to leave them with people who aren't experienced with ratty free-range time etc.
I think we've finally worked it out and I'm arranging for someone to drive them up in a car on the moving day so their journey's less stressful than trains/tubes/vans etc. I'm still going to need to find them a new forever home when I move, though.

hayleystar

Post by hayleystar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm

I've got some space here if needs be - have you spoken to Kit Kat or Furry Friends at all, as they're a bit closer to you :)

mrsnimh

Post by mrsnimh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I haven't, no. I know we used to have a fairly local rescue here but they closed down as far as I knew. If you could give me their details, I'd certainly appreciate that. Thanks.