Changing rat's name?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
StormySkye

Changing rat's name?

Post by StormySkye » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 am

When you get a rat that already has a name, do you prefer to keep it or change it? When I got Whiskers, she was already named and I left it. And I'm hopefully getting a new girl tomorrow, and she's already over a year old so I'll likely keep her name, but I'm curious as to what others do :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Blossomgirl

Re: Changing rat's name?

Post by Blossomgirl » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:40 am

It definitely depends on the rat, their age, and the name they already have. When we dopted John he was ove ra year old, and his name was Skillz. The name just didn't work for me AT ALL, so we called him John, and it suits him. Friemel was 2 when we adopted her, and we figured an old dame like her should be allowed to keep her name, so she did. But mostly we adopt babies, because it's easier to intro babies with boys. So then we don't have name issues at all!
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

Golgotha_tramp

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:51 am

Sammy and Fred were named when I got them and I don't think I had the heart to change it (despite not naming any of my gang Human names). With only Sammy left people I meet find it very funny when I run off strange names and then end with "and Sammy".

Saying that I do tend to call him Sam not Sammy though.
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:57 am

I have always changed names, though two of my rescues didn't come with a name (they had borg designation codes ;)) :lol:
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:19 am

The only rats that ever come to me with a name are rescues and I usually change their name depending on whether it suits them, I like it or in order to give them a fresh start. In all the rescues I've had I've only ever kept two of their names: Winkie and Hickey.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 am

I've always kept my rats' names, if they came with them. Mind you, that might be because most of mine came from Felix/Secretpennell and they had nice names, or they came from people who loved them and gave them lovely names. Where they don't have names, there is huge competition between my colleagues at work for whose turn it is to name them. They are actually much better at naming than I am - I got Beatle/Babs for my Parkies and Munchkin/Em for my babies from work. The only ratty I have actually named myself, from scratch, is Woody :hearts:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 am

But doesn't anyone have trouble teaching the rat a new name if they already know theirs?
(I'm just curious as I dont know the name of the rat I may be getting, and am hoping it won't be something awful! :lol: )

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:13 am

Not every rat will know or learn its name. Only Winkie, Truffles and Badger every learnt theirs out of all my rats.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 am

BasilTheRat wrote:I have always changed names, though two of my rescues didn't come with a name (they had borg designation codes ;)) :lol:
*gets ideas for her next lot*
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

msmara

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:28 am

I had rescues called bing, bong blunt & blaze & that just wasn't ever ever going to work for me, so they are now Riley, Jaff (aka Jaffa Cake), Marty & Pablo - Marty is named after a friend & Pablo - well, it was late, we must've been tired.

When 2 others came to me they were called "the black one" (which i quickly pointed out was berkie not fully black anyway lol) & Bruno (who looked nothing like a Bruno) so they got named Rocco & Ianto (pronounced yan-toe) and it suits them perfectly. Rocco took to his name straight away, he was an awesome boy :cry: & ianto is still with us & he's also probably just grateful he's not got such a butch name as he's a total sissy :hearts: he's also name trained & he was almost 18m when I got him.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

hlcasey

Post by hlcasey » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:40 am

I always kept the name of my rescue rats, I just got used to seeing them and knowing that was their name before they came so they stuck. I even came around to quite liking the name Nugget! lol.
I <3 my ratties

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:48 am

hlcasey wrote:I always kept the name of my rescue rats, I just got used to seeing them and knowing that was their name before they came so they stuck. I even came around to quite liking the name Nugget! lol.
Oh I had a rescue Nugget too ... who kept her name. But my neighbour's little girl, who fell in love with her, used to call her Ugget. So she became known as Uggy or the Uggy monster :lol:

majeekarevel

Post by majeekarevel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:55 am

I kept Maisy's name and she's learning to come when called. Majeeka and Revel I came up with myself. Majeeka was a name I put a lot of thought into over the years and Revel popped into my head on the way to pick them up. So they were both named before they were chosen and both suited their names. I feel that Maisy suits her name also, though it's probably not a name I would have chosen.
Out of my mind . . . . . . . back in 5 minutes!!

Goodbye for now my angel Revel, love you lots and lots :hearts: :dumbohalo: :dumborainbow:

redrach

Post by redrach » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:12 pm

My first two boys were rescues, about a year old and were called rio and cider. It didn't suit them at all and they didn't respond to their names so i changed them to albie and chandler. The only other to have a name is my lovely 28month doe who i rehomed this week, she's called monk and it suits her so i didn't change. At that age i'd prob not have changed her name anyway.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for all the view points, I'm really intrigued :) I suppose I don't know until I meet the girly, I don't even know her name yet, so have no idea if it'll suit or not.
msmara wrote:Ianto (pronounced yan-toe)
Please tell me you got that from Torchwood? :hearts: