Changing rat's name?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
msmara

Re: Changing rat's name?

Post by msmara » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:06 pm

I DID!!!! :D just knowing that makes you very cool :)
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:27 pm

We change names :)

Belle and Indy the boy couldn't remember what he had called them, megatron and ironhide were Bruce and Fred which didn't suit them at all and we wanted a group of transformer ratties :) they really suit there named now
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

AnnieD

Post by AnnieD » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:33 pm

StormySkye wrote:Thanks for all the view points, I'm really intrigued :) I suppose I don't know until I meet the girly, I don't even know her name yet, so have no idea if it'll suit or not.
msmara wrote:Ianto (pronounced yan-toe)
Please tell me you got that from Torchwood? :hearts:

I love Torchwood and Im Welsh too!!!!

I think its fine to change names. Sometimes their personalities need to develop before a name can suit.

I have 2 seemingly identical black rats - Toby and Jake - but Jake is smaller and currently a little timid - so I was thinking of changing it to Shadow or Tim (timid) - but I hope he wont always be Timmy timid !!!

I love Foo Fighters and in the song "walk" the words are "from a whisper to a riot" - I like Whisper - but Toby isnt quite a "Riot" lol!!!!
Anne
Tag, Che, Hachi, Toby & JJ :love:

:rainbow: Teeko now playing at the bridge xxx

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 am

msmara wrote:I DID!!!! :D just knowing that makes you very cool :)
Yay! :D
AnnieD wrote:I love Torchwood and Im Welsh too!!!!
Yay again! :D
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 pm

i rename all rats, mostly because I couldn't bring myself to call the rats something like snuffles

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:13 pm

When i went to collect/see the 2 boys that Amy fostered for me I called them Winston and Churchill as they had been through the wars a bit and I couldn't live with Pinky and The Brain :o
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

Jacsicle

Post by Jacsicle » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:43 pm

I kept some - Okami and Hachi as I knew I wouldn't be keeping them, just fostering - Tiny and Ice, my parkies, I attempted to change their names but found myself calling them by their old names so they stuck! - latest was Charlie Brown which I did change from his previous name Harry, but I have a guinea pig called Harry so that's the only reason why.
Jacsicle
:smileyrat: Bell :girly: Kia-Ora :girly: Leila :girly: Bo
Parkies :dumbogirly: Tiny :dumbogirly: Ice
:smileyrat: Charlie Brown :smileyrat: Max
:halo: Barksdale

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Well, I picked up my new girly, and her name is Gretchen :-? That reminds me of an old neighbour and it just doesn't suit her at all, so I'll be changing it. I'm relieved that so many people have changed names, makes me more comfortable doing it :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:38 am

i will always change a name to what suits the names i already have. when i got toffee and vanilla as rescues last year they were already named. they were called vanilla and cookie. i aleady had a rat called cookie so changed his name to toffee as he is an agouti.
when i got another rat from a breeder he was a year old he already had a name (bruce) it didnt fit with my theme so i renamed him kirin. he comes to his name and knows he is called kirin, he dosent answer to bruce.
all rescues i have had have names already as they have belonged to someone else, i have always changed them aswell. a rat will soon get used to his or her name. if i sat down and looked at my rats cages and called out rydan, then rydan would come to the cage door. he knows his name, its how i get the attention of ats who need meds, i call thier names and they come to the door where i am.
one of my boys full name is eldunari, i only call him this when he has been naughty, he is a very cheeky boy, i normally call him nari, he knows i call him both and will come when i call both names.
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Rescues (of any animal) I rename. Private rehomes depends on the present name and the situation. I will never volunteer/ offer to keep the name as the first step, but wait to see what current/ previous owner says. Whether they mention the name, or care at all.

When I'm fostering/ rehoming animals I assume people will change their name. It confuses me when people ask if it's ok to do so!

If the animal knows their name (from either POV) I hope to be told/ will tell the future owner. Whether that influences my decision still depends on the circumstances. If I do rename, it will be one with (a) similar sound(s). But like weasel I refuse to have an animal with a fluffy-type name or one that sounds like it was picked by an 8yr old :lol:

Of my current animals Anfreda hamster (private rehome) was renamed as I've had a past rat with her previous name. Although it was also a bit of a boring name. Brie-rat has kept her name as she knows it, I was asked to, I quite like the name anyway, and it fits her :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Roxplusrats

Post by Roxplusrats » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:34 pm

I always rename rescues, I like to give them a fresh start. But usually I find that the rescue rats I've taken in didn't know their old names anyway, because their previous owners hadn't really talked to them. My Mouse was 1 when we rescued him and had been called Indy before that but he didn't know that name at all. Atlas and Wheatley were called Caspar and Clifford in the RSPCA shelter, and which weren't the sort of names I give at all. Luckily they didn't know them either.
Owned by: Mouse, Gabe, Radigan, Tavish, Atlas and Wheatley
Loved and missed always, all those on the bridge :rainbow:

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 pm

It depends where they come from. Albert and Henry didn't have names, Rupert and Sidney did but they were stupid (Andy and Andy :roll:) so I changed them. I changed Samson and Pablo's names from Harry and Peter because the lady hadnt cared for them very well and didn't want them anymore. All my babies didn't have names either so I gave them names. But I'm getting a couple of boy in a week or two and I'm going to be keeping their names because the lady has genuine reasons for rehoming and really cares for them and will want updates. Plus they are pretty cool names- Gus and Louis!

So I will change their names unless I know that the person I'm adopting from genuinely cares about their ratties and is rehoming them for genuine reasons. For me it feels like I'm giving them a fresh start and a new life.
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Cate

Post by Cate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

We tend to rename rescues. The exception was our first four rescue boys who all came with names I really liked and which suited them, apart from one and we changed that to something very similar. I wouldn't change them just for the sake of it, but I like naming things and feel, like others, that it marks a fresh start for them with us. :D

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:16 pm

It always depends with me really.. I've had Michael and Gecko, who came with those names, and kept them (but they were old men, and it seemed mean to change them.
BUT some had names that i couldn't live with, so:

Tinky-winky became Rocket
Marmite and Smudge became Lynval and Horace
Ben and Jerry became Rudy and Rico

When i have fosters passing through, i always give them names, but i am not offended when their forever homes change them! (specially seeing as i have strange taste in names! :lol: )

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:22 pm

It depends who did the naming, and whether the rat is likely to know it. So of the ones I can remember having a name, I kept Harkness (because he was named by Tabi), Wilma (because she was over 2 and it quite suited her), and Toby (because he came from a very loving home who were rehoming him so he could have company, and I felt renaming him would be rude - he was over 2 too)

On the otherhand Glurk used to be a Merlin, and had his name changed because I thought he deserved a new name for a new life (his old life not having been very pleasant), and Sausage got renamed because he was originally called Trevor. And he just didn't look like a Trevor.

I guess some of the other rescues must have had names that I don't remember, but they were names used to refer to them in rescue, rather than names they were called by if you see what I mean.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: