Will 2 more ratties make smell worse?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Stephhh_xo

Will 2 more ratties make smell worse?

Post by Stephhh_xo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:22 am

Hey I have 2 rats at the minute in a jenny cage which I keep in my room and am thinking of getting 2 more :) But the smell is only just controllable right now lol so not sure if 2 more ratties would make it doubly smelly? Does anyone else know?
Love my babies Milton and Murphy :)

R.I.P Dylan , Doug , Chip and Ben

Flox

Re: Will 2 more ratties make smell worse?

Post by Flox » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:21 pm

It depends what smells. If it's the 'natural' smell of the animal that bothers you, then yes, two more will smell worse. Bear in mind that if yours are young at the moment, they may be more stinky than they will be as they get older.

If it's the cage, then two more will 'process' twice the amount of food, and the cage will get smelly in less time. You could compensate by cleaning more often (though people suggest that cleaning too often can unsettle them and encourage them to scent mark more), or consider using an air purifier.

In reality though, I don't know that mine smell more than when I had just two, but then the human nose is pretty adaptive and it's not an easy value to guess. My mum would tell you they smell, but then she doesn't sleep in the same room (or house) as them :)

So yes, two more rats will be somewhat smellier one way or the other - perhaps not exactly 100% more smelly. But there are things you can do to reduce it.

charlie4591

Post by charlie4591 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:14 pm

i agree with flox, you'll probably get used to it and wont notice much of a difference. however my mum insists that 'they stink' even after they've just been cleaned out when i don't think they smell at all so other people might notice a difference. change hammocks every few days and keep the litter tray clean and you should be fine :)
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Yes 2 more would make it twice as smelly.

Iggy82

Post by Iggy82 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Definitely more smelly, we've always had 2 boys in the past but recently we acquired 4; the smell is much more noticable now. We have to do a full clean out daily and replace fabric toys and hammocks every 3 -4 days to wash them.

Flox

Post by Flox » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 am

Iggy82 wrote:DWe have to do a full clean out daily and replace fabric toys and hammocks every 3 -4 days to wash them.
That may not be helping, if they've just moved home and every day their cage smells like a new place - they're probably squeezing themselves dry scent marking to try and make the place feel like home! As counter-productive as it may seem you might want to try to grin and bear it for a week and give them chance to settle into their own stench, you might find it eases up a little :)

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 am

I agree, whilst it might be better for you, the ratties will be wondering where their familiar smells have gone each day :lol: I do a full cage and hammock clean weekly, and with close to 40 rats I find it easier to space out cleaning throughout the week. :luck:
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk