Identifying 'twins' - food colouring?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
annc

Identifying 'twins' - food colouring?

Post by annc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:11 pm

On Monday I pick up my two ivory bucks from Doug! He says they have different personalities - but it will take me a few days to get used to that. I've never had two identical self-coloured rats before, and wonder how best to identify them temporarily. I believe some people use food colouring, but - which, where is it best to put it, and how long does it last?

Longing to get them - I think they will be Lightning and Lumiere.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Jird

Re: Identifying 'twins' - food colouring?

Post by Jird » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:26 pm

A splodge of red food colouring on the end of the tail is a really easy way to mark a rat, and lasts for ages :) I found that applying it to the fur is useless, as one day passes and they've groomed it off! Clipping a patch of fur works quite well though, if you would prefer to mark a non-tail bit.
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:23 am

I use sharpie marker pens! I marked a group of 12 identical black topears with sharpies, and they are all still marked now, 3 months later. :lol:

Abelia

Post by Abelia » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:11 pm

I use a sharpie marker pen too :D I tried food colouring first, but they kept washing it off :lol:
Alyssa :D Mum to:
Merlin and Pixel :dumbo: Jelly and Pocky :smileyrat: Basil, Beanie, Marvin and Nemo :dumbo:
Always in my heart R.I.P: :hearts: Reggie, George, Homer, Bart and Brave Bilbo :dumbohalo: :love:

magiccookie

Post by magiccookie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:55 pm

I would say clip a little bit of the fur on one in a certain place, aren't Sharpies toxic? I don't know, I'm lucky enough to have boys that are easy to identify :D
Owned by my boys: Ziggy, Alfie and Wolfie
R.I.P Marley <3 x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:06 pm

magiccookie wrote:aren't Sharpies toxic?
Nope :) Other brands of permanent marker might be, but they're not.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Lillyland wrote:I use sharpie marker pens! I marked a group of 12 identical black topears with sharpies, and they are all still marked now, 3 months later. :lol:
I can confirm that this is indeed true having 3 of the above ratties lol. :wink:

I know them from their personalities now and they are all slightly different sizes but it's handy for quick identification lol. Nisha is red, Lila is blue and Koko is green. :wink:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx