How can I tell them that....

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
emily97

How can I tell them that....

Post by emily97 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi guy's,

Ok long story short I had two female ( Topsy and Heidi ) my dad said that they smell so he made me clean them out every day, but some members on here told me that would make them smell worse so I tried to tell my dad that, well after awhile he excepted he may be wrong and let me try and it works though all of a sudden he doesn’t come in my room ( probably coz there is nothing to moan about :roll: ) any way I recently got two more rat they are 8 weeks old now I know that baby rattie do smell more that big ratties, but my dad says that I can't sleep in that much smell, so back to cleaning not every day but every other day. I can hardly smell a thing, well my rats are in my bedroom so im always with them and their supposed smell so im very used to it but my dad isn't. How can I tell him that it will not help if I clean them out every day? I have tried but he won't listen.

Thank you for your time.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

Hanlou

Re: How can I tell them that....

Post by Hanlou » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:08 pm

I've just ordered one of (( These Air Purifiers )) as someone on a thread on here recommended them. :D

Might help with the situation! Mine hasn't come yet so I can't say how effective it is lol but it has good reviews.

Also; you *could* empty the litter tray every day and wipe down shelves / change hammocks every day or every other day at least. That should make it look like you are cleaning them every day and keep smells down but should leave enough of 'their' smell in the substrate to stop them overcompensating by constant scent marking. Then maybe just do a full clean out and substrate change every week.

Have you explained to your dad that the babies will smell more for a bit because of the high protein they need? Hopefully if he knows that the extra whiffiness is temporary it may make him happier overall? Also; bear in mind that it's pretty warm and humid right now. They will smell more in the heat and they will drink more because it's warm causing them to wee more too. All factors to be considered.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Solar

Post by Solar » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:15 pm

When you clean them out everyday they will mark more to make the cage smell like them, so will make it smell more, only until they feel confident that their area smells like them, will they stop marking so much, also rats have a kind of scent themselves so you're never going to stop them smelling.

Baby rats stink no matter what you do, it's something they grow out of in time. X3

You can spot clean rather then full clean, so take out the dirt in the corners and wipe down shelves with baby wipes that may help, but because he's not in contact daily with animals they will smell to him. When I walk into a house with dogs, no matter how clean, I can smell dog, but of course the owners don't notice it.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

emily97

Post by emily97 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Thank you both so much for your help.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby: