Urgent advice needed.

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
User avatar
Solar
Member
Member
Posts: 4264
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:37 pm
Location: Cambridgshire
Contact:

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by Solar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Poor things, how horrid. :angry:

She looks pregnant from those photos, or it could be fat from having back to back litters - I picked up two girls who were bred for petshops and had the pot belly but wasn't pregnant.

I wonder how many times the female has been pregnant :< least these two were giving to you rather then another snake owner who may treat them exactly the same way.

I would personally get the male neutered since reading that, it's likely he has never lived with another rat or only females to breed with, so getting him neutered and living with females would, to me, be the best course since if he doesn't get along with other males, he'd probably have to get neutered anyway. I think doing this would be the least stressful direction to take for him, although it does mean being alone until babies are old enough to leave mum. It's a hard choice to make.

And if the female does have babies you could keep a pair of girls and have a quad.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

pb632
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by pb632 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 pm

My ideal situation:

Castrate male asap, providing the vet is happy with his health, by the time she has a litter *if* she has one, and raises them he'll have time to heal, and get settled before introducing the pair. Her tummy feels quite hard, I suppose it's really just a waiting game now, shes not shown any maternal insticts at all yet, though.

I think that, hes going to be castrated and put into a nice new big cage with lots of toys and sleepy areas, a few extra weeks wont hurt him *that much* since hes never had much of a life, he may be happy, in his big cage, and having a lady friend may just put the cherry on top for him!

Thanks for all info people, will keep you all updated!! x

User avatar
Ratty_Rhian
Member
Member
Posts: 2726
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:20 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Well done for taking them in. There's a Jenny in Cardiff on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Ferplas ... 35b43fd2ac if that's any use.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

pb632
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by pb632 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Update: We have vets tomorrow morning to make my final decision on wether castration is a good plan, Still no cages yet though :( Thanks all for your help!

P.s Ratty_Rhian -- I emailed that ebay seller asking if she wants to do a deal and take the auction off! lol, dont ask you dont get i guess!!

pb632
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by pb632 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi guys!

Quick update!

Roger was castrated yesterday, and hes fine! Has also been treated for a case of mites! Picked his new cage up this evening so going to set it all up with hs toys etc tomorrow and then introduce him to his new cage within the next few days!-- Cant wait!

Thanks so much everybody!! :D

User avatar
KatieJ
Member
Member
Posts: 1489
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:49 am
Location: Reading, Berkshire

Re: Urgent advice needed.

Post by KatieJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Glad it's going well for you and your pair of ratties :)
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest