Trimming nails of nervous rat?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
StormySkye

Trimming nails of nervous rat?

Post by StormySkye » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:46 am

I'm ready to start introducing my latest girl to my main group, but because she's been left in a dull cage for so long, her claws have gotten out of hand and are terribly sharp. I hate to think of the damage they could do if intros got out of hand :( The problem is, she's been alone since "sometime last year" and hasn't been handled AT ALL since her previous owners got a dog :roll: So she's terrified of being held and struggles madly. How on earth do I do this? :o Help!
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Rhona

Re: Trimming nails of nervous rat?

Post by Rhona » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 am

could you wrap her up in a towel and have someone else hold her still so you can quickly snip the sharp edges off?
Rhona and the scunnerbug rats xx
"Experience is simply the word we give to our mistakes"

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 am

I did think about that, but bonding is happening so slowly that I'm worried it would take a huge step backwards. But if its the only way then I guess I don't have much choice... its so hard when you can't explain to them that its only to help them lol :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:53 am

You could always try the 'brick in the cage' type approach, it's never worked for me (whose rats appear to beleve rocks and bricks are for weeing on) but i know it does for some people.

Failing that i would try just going one at a time and taking of the very tip whilst she's out on her, don't as much try and restrain her but just work with her (hard to explain lol). You can also do a fairly effective trimming of the very tips of nails by using scissors and trimming the bit of the claw that digs into your trousers when there standing on your knee. It doesn't cut them short enough for shows but works well with nervous rats as you don't really need to restrain them.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June