Emergency rat plans

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Jacsicle

Emergency rat plans

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:40 pm

So I've just gone and checked my carrier, filled and attached a water bottle and put in some food. all this incase rioters come and set fire to my house, so I can at least try and get the ratties out. Before anyone asks, no I do not live in London, yes I may well be paranoid and crazy. BUT, I think this is a timely reminder to think about your pet escape plans!

Anyone else as panicky as me?!

Disclaimer: Don't risk your own lives to save your pets! Although you probably all will...
Jacsicle
:smileyrat: Bell :girly: Kia-Ora :girly: Leila :girly: Bo
Parkies :dumbogirly: Tiny :dumbogirly: Ice
:smileyrat: Charlie Brown :smileyrat: Max
:halo: Barksdale

KateR

Re: Emergency rat plans

Post by KateR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:09 pm

They'd be the first 'things' I got out. I have it planned in my head for if there's a fire or anything - we have 2 large groups so we'd grab a carrier each and empty one lot each.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:19 pm

KateR wrote:They'd be the first 'things' I got out. I have it planned in my head for if there's a fire or anything - we have 2 large groups so we'd grab a carrier each and empty one lot each.
In case of a fire we are sorted. Our girls live in an Explorer in the lounge - the room with the front door. They would get wheeled out on our way out.

Jacsicle - great plan. Doesn't hurt to be prepared. If it did kick off you'd never forgive yourself if you'd not had a plan.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:00 pm

:cry: i would honestly be in big trouble at the moment i live in a flat above a shop with no fire escape the only imediate exit i have is onto a flat roof garden thing but my room is now at the opposite end of the hall to the rats room but i do always have small cages near the big cages and if worse came to the worse i would just enpty all the cages into one of these i would much rather risk having a pregnant doe or a scuffle than dead animals im usually on my own so couldnt do a few trips thats why i would have to do that and i hope my cat would follow me out she follows me everywhere usually but i dont know how she would react in the chaos.when we got burgled and ransaked a few months back she went into hiding untill i returned home .its scary knowing it could happen anywhere especially when you live on the outskirts of a big city luckily i think im far enough away from out city of manchester but still feel it best to have somting in your head just incase of any emergency . :love:

Jacsicle

Post by Jacsicle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm glad I'm not alone! My OH is wong so I'm having to emergency plan by myself. Probably why I've gone overboard on it. Hmmm should have stocked up on tinned food and bottled water...
Jacsicle
:smileyrat: Bell :girly: Kia-Ora :girly: Leila :girly: Bo
Parkies :dumbogirly: Tiny :dumbogirly: Ice
:smileyrat: Charlie Brown :smileyrat: Max
:halo: Barksdale

Nina

Post by Nina » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:45 am

I always have carriers by cages in case of emergency but have worried about getting them out on my own as it would be 4/5 carriers (including my cat). Catching Willow (cat) would be my biggest problem as I have no idea how she'd react.

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 am

The carrier is right next to the cage and in there I've got an old dr squiggles tub that if full of food that I change every couple of weeks - its enough to last about 3 or 4 days, theres an empty water bottle in there also. These are literally survival plans incase of a fire, get them out and feed them for a few days.

Though dependant on the situation the cage is right near the front door, so I could just roll it out the door (I should measure it to see if it actually fits :-? ).
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 am

I have one because of the dogs in the house and nursing mums and litters. My main groups are kept in the shed so if we had a house fire they should be ok.

I have a carrier in the house so can empty any rats into or as they rats are in Mary's, Robert grabs the cage and I get the dogs.
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 am

Hmm.. I pretty much would be screwed. My rat room is a top floor attic room, with a sloping window. I think if i knew i would have time, i would chuck them all into the nearest carriers (i think pregnancy would be the last thing on my mind) - and i would jump out my bedroom window with them, onto the neighbours roof. I would probably miss, and kill us all..

Lloy-D2788

Post by Lloy-D2788 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:47 am

Lillyland wrote:I would probably miss, and kill us all..
:lol: This is why I love you Lilly! :hearts:
Lloyd x

Eximius Rats - 'Excellence is a fine pursuit'
North of England Rat Society - Promoting excellence in the care and breeding of fancy rats

donald110

Post by donald110 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:20 pm

i am screwed.
1. because i don't watch the news (got told off for that one today from the boss) :-?
2 because i have two groups of rats(10total), plus two gerbils, plus two budges (which are evil flying beak monster at the best of times), and three big fish tanks (don't think i will be able to carry the out. :lol:
3 because it me i would get the animals and find my way out blocked by fire. :roll:
group 1 - Millie, Rough, Misty, Raith, Mongh and Curlie
group 2 - Twirl, Mari, Ellie, Bella

Wasanifu

Post by Wasanifu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 pm

We're keeping the carriers and the spare cage by the existing cages. I only have 2 carriers at the moment (and 2 hamsters 2 rats) but we have the tiny cage Tiff came in which will do in an emergency. We live above a small private betting shop and Gloucester was rioted last night and there is supposed to be more tonight so I want to be well prepared. Food is in 2 tubs (1 rat, one hammie) that I could shove in my handbag and we have a way out over the flat roof of the betting shop. We also have my guys parents in Newport who have offered that we can stay if we need too. Police presence has been really heavy today so I don't think it will come to that though.
Tiff & Rommie (Rats) Ludlow and Atticus (Syrian Hamsters)
RIP: Guthrie (August 2009-June 2010) Simba (September 2008- December 2010)- Syrian Hamsters

Nina

Post by Nina » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:10 am

Wasanifu wrote:We're keeping the carriers and the spare cage by the existing cages. I only have 2 carriers at the moment (and 2 hamsters 2 rats) but we have the tiny cage Tiff came in which will do in an emergency. We live above a small private betting shop and Gloucester was rioted last night and there is supposed to be more tonight so I want to be well prepared. Food is in 2 tubs (1 rat, one hammie) that I could shove in my handbag and we have a way out over the flat roof of the betting shop. We also have my guys parents in Newport who have offered that we can stay if we need too. Police presence has been really heavy today so I don't think it will come to that though.
Hope you're ok this morning?