More fancy rats in the park :(

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
stormsmuggler

More fancy rats in the park :(

Post by stormsmuggler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:09 pm

following on from here Gail, the lady who feeds the swans came flying to in to my place of work today to inform me that Chelsea may have had a previous litter, as she has seen 2 more rats in the park. One the same colour as Chelsea and the other just like her baby Cupcake (mink hoody). She indicated their size with her hands, could be adults, but none rat owners always say they are this big, just like the fish that got away :wink:
Due to how tame, clean and healthy Chelsea was when she was caught i had presumed she was pregnant prior to being released and all babies turning out dumbo we guessed that there had been no contact with the wild population. So there may have been more than Chelsea and the pink eyed white buck (sadly drowned in the pond) released in the first place. Gail is incapacitated at the moment with a bad back and I'm back at work this evening. The council are going to fill the hole where they are residing with poison :(
I don't know what to do :-? Gail has spoken to the council and asked if they will postpone the baiting until after the weekend and I am going to set up my humane trap at dusk tomorrow night and hope that i can capture them, but I'm concerned about the risks that maybe involved, if they have come into contact with the wild rat population etc or turn out to be pregnant females or if there is young in the hole in the wall.
any suggestions :-?
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

KateR

Re: More fancy rats in the park :(

Post by KateR » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm

PM Cynthia at Manchester Rodent Rescue (misty on here) as she has run a similar rescue and might have some tips for you.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Did you get hold of Cynthia? If not you may be best ringing as I don't think she gets online every day.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Felix

Post by Felix » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Have you contacted the rspca about this? In theory an inspector should be able to go out look for them.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

good point Dorothy - "my" RSPCA man in Plymouth spent quite a while up in Central Park to catch some released rats
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 pm

I do have another humane rat trap that I could probably get down to you if you need it, other then that I'm not much use.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Snippet wrote:I do have another humane rat trap that I could probably get down to you if you need it, other then that I'm not much use.
I also have a live trap
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:03 pm

NickyE wrote:
Snippet wrote:I do have another humane rat trap that I could probably get down to you if you need it, other then that I'm not much use.
I also have a live trap
Nicky, I already slightly told Raz that you had a trap you would (probably) lend :roll: :roll:

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

misty

Post by misty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:38 am

Stormsmuggler I will pm you.

Misty

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:18 am

Amzy wrote:
NickyE wrote:
I also have a live trap
Nicky, I already slightly told Raz that you had a trap you would (probably) lend :roll: :roll:

x
hee hee....got a nebuliser now too....
Cats Steffi Mac

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 am

Well I dragged my sorry carcass out of bed at dawn this morning and went down to locate where they are and see how many I could spot, I got a very brief glimpse of the hoody, quite large, so possibly a buck (hopes the other one is too) and fortunately he dove straight into the hole in the wall that Gail had described for me.
Unfortunately i was unable to do anything last night do to work but I am free this afternoon evening, so will go down for an hour or so with trap carrier and son and see what happens.
thanks for the pm Cynthia, I may well be picking your brains if i have success catching them. i've rang the vet this morning and he's going to leave a big bottle of baytril at the desk for me to pick up so i can blanket treat them all and he has also said that if any need anything special then the cost will come out of the donations to wild life fund that they support.
So its fingers crossed for success, small numbers and no pregnant ladies please.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:41 am

If you catch them and there are some girls I'll ask my dad if I could foster one for you. Good luck :hearts:
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

LittleL

Post by LittleL » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Good Luck later on.. Hope you manage to get them all.. **wonders why people are so cruel and just let them out into the wild, why cant they take them into a rescue centre, plenty around** :angry:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Good luck Raz
Cats Steffi Mac

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Well after sitting on wet grass for 1 and 1/2 hours I finally got a sighting, although not of minkies but a black hoody and possibly a black berkie, but that may have been the distance (left glasses in car) or the dim light. At this point with it being a pleasant evening the world and his wife decided that a stroll round the pond would be pleasant :angry: and i got all the usual stuff about why i wanted to catch them and why not just put down poison etc etc :angry: by the time it got quiet again it was a bit too dark and scary to stay in the park on my own, my son long having deserted me.
Work gets in the way of doing anything tomorrow and with a 12 hour shift looming I can't see myself getting up before dawn, so it will be Sunday before I try again, maybe about half an hour later than tonight. Anyway they have been left with a little pile of scrambled egg at their den enterance for supper.