More fancy rats in the park :(

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
stormsmuggler

Re: More fancy rats in the park :(

Post by stormsmuggler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:38 am

Don't! You'll make me cry :cry: Trouble is, my own rats are missing out on their freerange time while I'm sitting down there. Either way I can't win. :(
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:28 am

I will try and get dad to bring me down on Saturday if you think that will do any good.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

stormsmuggler wrote:Don't! You'll make me cry :cry: Trouble is, my own rats are missing out on their freerange time while I'm sitting down there. Either way I can't win. :(
don't feel that way - you are doing absolutely everything you can. Have texted Peter but not heard back from him yet.
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:50 pm

Have just called RSPCA central and logged it in saying that their officer told me to :lol:
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Feeling a bit happier now :) I've had some baby ratties 10-12 weeks old at a guess licking my fingers :D I set the trap at hole one and went off to see if there was any activity at hole 2, as i sprinkled some egg food and cous cous about a couple of noses poked out, so I sat on the grass right next to the hole and waited. i spotted 4 different rats, a black, a minked capped, a dark mink and a beautiful pale mink with a dark nose and dorsal stripe. i know thats just a moult pattern but he was pretty. the capped and light mink were very brave. not brave enough to come right out of the hole but brave enough to reach for food :D i inched my hand closer and closer and eventually they were licking my fingers but when i inched them away they wouldn't come out any more.
only got one more night to try and then i'm back on split shifts. hoping that they'll recognise my scent tomorrow and be even braver.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:30 pm

:love:
I know nothing about genetics, but are the chances of poor dead PEW male NOT being the father to Chelsea's mink+black+mink hoody litter quite high?

Thank you for what you're doing Raz, you are one of my ulitmate heros/heroines (depending on which you prefer in this PC world!)

edited to add if the babies are that friendly I'm thinking they're not wildings?
Cats Steffi Mac

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:44 pm

I can be dropped down of Friday night after college, and I can bring my tent and stay at the park if that would help. I can also do Satuday, but I'll need to catch a bus home. I'll PM you Raz.
Cara,

arianwen

Post by arianwen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm

stormsmuggler wrote:Feeling a bit happier now :) [...] hoping that they'll recognise my scent tomorrow and be even braver.
You are doing amazingly.
Cassie
Forever ~ Arthur, Boris, Percy :rainbow:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:40 pm

arianwen wrote:
stormsmuggler wrote:Feeling a bit happier now :) [...] hoping that they'll recognise my scent tomorrow and be even braver.
You are doing amazingly.
I agree

xxx
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:49 am

stormsmuggler wrote:... not brave enough to come right out of the hole but brave enough to reach for food :D i inched my hand closer and closer and eventually they were licking my fingers but when i inched them away they wouldn't come out any more.
Just a thought, but can you take a long tube with you? Rats are so instinctively wary of open space, the tube can offer them a safe route. Place it next to the hole - they might be tempted to run into that and you could then close off the ends. :luck:
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:59 am

all you guys and gals are amazing. I really appreciate the support, advice and the egging me on pm's and the facebook chat when I'm getting low :hearts:
The fact that the 4 little faces I was talking to last night had hooge ears stuck on the side of their head suggests no wild rat interference, i think :???:
Gail says the lad only released 2 but there may have been previous releases :angry: People passing, dog walking have said things like I'm in the wrong place and i should be over there because they always see them there etc, several places pointed out to me so there could well be a whole colony/mischief of fancy rats in the park for all I know.
Chelsea is clearly very tame, the youngsters are very curious but there are other adults there that I've spotted but not got close enough to check out their ears.
Funnily enough I got out all the flexi tunnels for my boys last night and the thought crossed my mind about taking them to the park with me and wondered wether they would work. I'll try anything once.
Thanks for the camping out offer, but I seriously wouldn't feel safe or happy about that unless you ALL came :lol:
As I left the car park last night some random get walked up to 3 younger lads and head butted one of them for no reason whatsoever :o I gave the 3 lads a lift home and gave their mum a description of the thug.
After tonight it will be friday before I can get down there again, work gets in the way and i don't think I'd get away with asking for the night off so that i can attempt to catch rats :D
thanks again everyone for keeping me positive. Oh and keep everything crossed please.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:31 am

I'll still come down. I don't have anything to do at the weekend, so might as well do somethig constructive.
Cara,

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:12 am

What an amazing story and a great job you're doing! :D I wish I lived close enough to help.

It is starting to sound like there's a whole colony of them now, though... and if there's 10-12 weeks olds running about together, you could be looking at hundreds of them before very long :o Clever, resourceful little fancy rats! Hopefully you'll be able to help at least some of them though :luck:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:20 pm

any contact from RSPCA yet?
Cats Steffi Mac

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:28 pm

NickyE wrote:any contact from RSPCA yet?
WHO :???: