Do you think my ratty things could go through the dishwasher

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

Can I put my stuff through the dishwasher?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 15

SillyTilly

Do you think my ratty things could go through the dishwasher

Post by SillyTilly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Hmm just read that - just want to make clear - NOT THE ACTUAL RATS!!!! :o

But alll the stuff that goes in there. Like their corner litter tray, plastic boxes etc.

I just feel I can't get it really clean by hand and think lots of hot water and high pressure might just do the trick.

What do you all reakon??

Olivia

PS I know it's a bit gross, but I'll run the DW empty afterwards. And I'll rinse off the things before they go in.
Grand Finale, Finestaire, Fin de Siecle, Sarah, HG, Jude and Madonna.
Sleep tight Dilwyn, Eleanor, Belle, Yorkie, Chloe, Lily, Missy, Rosie, Tess, Dru, Faith, Hope, Charity, Felicity, Dominic, Sam, Sophie, Penny and Sky

http://www.dales-fans.org.uk

RescueRat

Post by RescueRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:58 pm

I voted no but I'm rethinking a little. It would depend on what temperature you put them in at and what type of plastic the things were made of.

If you had to put them in at a low temperature it might not really clean / kill the germs.

Now I'm going to say depends! :lol:

SillyTilly

Post by SillyTilly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 pm

Hmmm melting is my worry too. Maybe if I pour some hot water from the kettle on a piece to check....
Sleep tight Dilwyn, Eleanor, Belle, Yorkie, Chloe, Lily, Missy, Rosie, Tess, Dru, Faith, Hope, Charity, Felicity, Dominic, Sam, Sophie, Penny and Sky

furrynavel

Post by furrynavel » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:07 pm

I put all my rat food dishes through the dishwasher, and some bottles, not the cheap flimsy ones. I put them through on intensive.
I just bung them in with my dishes :oops:
I haven't put in litter trays because mine use them to sleep in, not poop in :-?
Image Emma and the Rattie Clan Image

SillyTilly

Post by SillyTilly » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:32 pm

Well it was worth the risk. I now have a dishwasher full of nice clean shiney ratty bits. And it's halved about the time it takes to clean the cage. YAY!!!

Julie84

Post by Julie84 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:01 pm

I know the Shak house cages actually boast 'dish washer safe' as one of their selling features! I would if I had a dishwasher; all their bowls and toys go in with my dishes and mugs anyway!! Although weirdly, the cats' dishes have to be washed separately as cat food is just horrible! :lol:

But then all their weed on hammocks go in with my knickers and tops - maybe I'm just a really horrible person! :oops: :lol:
Love Julie &
:girly: Esme & Lyra xxxx
Greatly missed :rainbow: Beau, Florrie, Mario, Izzy, Schnitzel, Ellie, Kaiser, Violet & Lily :halo:

drine

Post by drine » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:27 am

i put all my ratty things in the dishwasher :)
i once made the mistake of putting it on a hot program... never again, all the bottles have really strange shapes now :)
drine
& the boys: Elfric, Aslan, Atreyu, Borgin & Burkes;
the girls: Oekie, Veela & Vendetta, Lily & Molly
and last but not least, Oempa-Loempa!

furrynavel

Post by furrynavel » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:32 am

drine wrote:i put all my ratty things in the dishwasher :)
i once made the mistake of putting it on a hot program... never again, all the bottles have really strange shapes now :)

:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I had the same problem with some of my more brittle plastic bottles except they melted all over my dishes!! :D
Image Emma and the Rattie Clan Image

Julie84

Post by Julie84 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 am

And how much easier to put tunnels in the dishwasher rather than spend hours trying to get into all those grooves and little holes!? We are moving next month so I went dishwasher shopping on the internet last night and we are going to John Lewis at the weekend to order it!! Yippee!! (I didn't tell Neil I really wanted a dishwasher to put ratty bits in!! :lol: )
Love Julie &
:girly: Esme & Lyra xxxx
Greatly missed :rainbow: Beau, Florrie, Mario, Izzy, Schnitzel, Ellie, Kaiser, Violet & Lily :halo:

scarlett_demon

Post by scarlett_demon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:00 am

Bottles do have a tendancy to melt in the dishwasher! Not sure about more expensive versions, but the type you can get in PAH go very strange in hot hot water!
Claire xx

- Out of my mind, back in 15 minutes!

My Blogs:

http://scarlettdemon.blogspot.com/

http://oneangrymomma.blogspot.com/

angelrats

Post by angelrats » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Julie84 wrote:And how much easier to put tunnels in the dishwasher rather than spend hours trying to get into all those grooves and little holes!? We are moving next month so I went dishwasher shopping on the internet last night and we are going to John Lewis at the weekend to order it!! Yippee!! (I didn't tell Neil I really wanted a dishwasher to put ratty bits in!! :lol: )

great idea for the tunnels, i hate cleaning those, i don't use my dishwasher much but i will be from now on. :D
love Ange xx
:rainbow: EDDIE :rainbow: RUUD
:teen: MURPHY :teen: SHADOW :rainbow: RED
:teen: BOWSER