The Battle of The Sexes!?!?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

How many bucks and how many does do you have? Do you have:

Just does
29%
Just bucks
34%
Mostly bucks
9%
Mostly does
17%
Equal amounts of bucks and does
10%

Total votes: 87

Hanlou

The Battle of The Sexes!?!?

Post by Hanlou » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Well, after reading the post recently about bucks and does and the differences between the two, I set to wondering, (as you do :wink:) about how it pans out proportionately - I mean, as to how many people have bucks, how many have does, and how many have some of each etc. So I thought I'd ask you lot!! :D

So, here's the poll!! If you wish to add any comments about how you find having both bucks and does, why you chose to have bucks or does or anything else like that, that would be great too. I haven't asked about neutered bucks because it seemed to get to complicated - maybe that's one for a different poll........ (I mean, include neutered bucks as just 'ordinary bucks' which they are - ooh I'm complicating myself!! You know what I mean, I hope)

(I think I've covered every possibility in the options - but if not, I apologise! - it's my first ever poll!!)
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:02 pm

I currently have 8 bucks and 14 does... although would have more bucks if i didn't feel so guilty about gmring :wink: :lol:
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:06 pm

Tell me about it!! Mocha was bought me as a ' leaving pressie' (bit of a shock!) and tbh, I'd forgotten how different bucks and does are until I had them both to compare! He's lovely - so daft and so h-u-g-e compared to my dainty girlies!! The girls love using him as a big squishy pillow! :D (needless to say, he is neutered....)
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Wendal

Post by Wendal » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:11 pm

I wavered between mostly does, and just does... Frankie is just 'a frankie' *sigh* I tried to make him manly... honestly i did... i bought him a macho camoflague hammock and everything :lol: :lol:
Wendy :D and Molly ------>

Unattended children will be given a shot of expresso and promised a puppy ;)

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:14 pm

:lol: Wendy!!

Hmm, I know what you mean - the girls run rings round Mocha. He looks - dare I say it - kind of slow and ponderous next to them!! But I love him for it, the Big Squish that he is!! :D

Solar

Post by Solar » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:15 pm

I had does before but found it heartbreaking when they had tumours so I stopped having rats for a couple of minths.
Then I found this site found that boys are lazier than girls, don't suffer as much from tumours ect so now have 7, the most girls I've ever had was 3!
I like them lazy with a hint of mischief but cuddly rather than trying to keep up with hyper girls. lol
Although I fell in love with Slinky's and Scruff's mum as soon as I held her :hearts: Could ratnapped her in a heart beat lol
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

LisaLQ

Post by LisaLQ » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:14 pm

Wendal wrote:I wavered between mostly does, and just does... Frankie is just 'a frankie' *sigh* I tried to make him manly... honestly i did... i bought him a macho camoflague hammock and everything :lol: :lol:

Hmm a similarly named Freddie is just the same. :lol:

But including him, we have 18 boys, and 9 girls. But had I known girls were so much fun in the beginning, I might have had more :lol:

But then my bucks are snuggly and licky and.....hang on, they wee on themselves, they wee on each other, they spend half the day licking their privates...erm...bucks are horrible! And 6 of my does are evil chewers and cant have anything in the cage without destroying it, and practise Houdini style escape tactics *pmsl*

I love 'em all really. :hearts: I couldn't pick one or the other though now - I love both sexes for different reasons :)

laa

Post by laa » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:25 pm

my bucks are really hyper...i find it quite weird...
love my big squishy boys though *snuggles them*

tigerbabe

Post by tigerbabe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:38 am

Well I've got 9 bucks and 2 does, the only reason I got does again was to keep Coco company and I do love them to bits but I'm definatley more of a buck girl :roll:

Don't ask me why though.. they scent mark everywhere, turn into bog brushes if they can smell the other boys on anything, eat like it's going out of fashion, pee in their hammocks and then take great pleasure in laying in them anyway, and for some reason love to sleep in their litter trays (lovely when I don't realise that's where they've just come from and I give them a kiss :sickrat: )

Oh well I never claimed to be sane :lol: :lol:
Kerry
:smileyrat:Ralph, Horace, Sidney, Malcolm, Jeff, Harold, Oscar, Herbert, Chester, Alfie & Max - Peanut, Snowball (hamsters) - Pixie (dog)
Jack, Emily, Harry, Sophie, Willow, Simon, Smudge & Jasper (bunnies)

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:09 am

I like both equally :)

I currently have mostly girls (well, 8 girls and 1 castrated buck Jez)...but like the different characters of both. Then again I have does that are as laid back and squishy as bucks (Delyth, Rose and Amy) and Jerry, who's a hyperactive nosy little man!!

My intact bucks that I had when I first statred keeping rats were both lovely...Merlin was a bit of an exploratory loony, but Arthur was completely stereotypical, he liked nothing better than snoozing under my chin when i was watching TV.

I'll be starting a buck cage next month, when Bethans surviving baby Harry comes home with one of his foster brothers, and i can't wait!! :D
http://www.cariadrats.co.uk
Cariad Stud, for burmese, russian burmese, and chocolatey goodness!

Sasha

Post by Sasha » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:17 am

I love both, but if I really had to choose (if I could only have one cage, for example) I'd go for does. I currently have 4 bucks and 8 does, with another 2 does on the way. :D

furryfeet

Post by furryfeet » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:24 am

I've got 11 boys and 1 girl! Now people who know me will know I have stated time and time again I only have boys. So how did I end up with a girl? She needed a home urgently due to biting so badly she put someone in hospital, and muggins couldn't say no. Now she needs a name. I don't intend to have loads of girls, I'm hoping she'll move in with Oswald (who has no balls these days).

I *like* girly rats, but I *love* boys. :oops:
Alison
and the furryfeet rats

shibby69

Post by shibby69 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:29 am

i have 15 does and 10 bucks, and this is generally because i kept all of rafaels litter and she had more does. but i love both sexes it really is hard to choose.
Kyra x
Atlas rattery - Breeding for essex in russian blue, and also breeding russian dove, buff and black
http://www.atlasrats.co.uk

shirleyannesmith

which sex

Post by shirleyannesmith » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:35 pm

We have 12 does and 5 bucks. My husband loves does but I have a fondness for my boys. Big squishy boys who love kisses, who sit quietly and watch the cricket with me. I adore our girls but they are so hyper, give me a cuddly boy any day (but don't tell those girlies) :lol:
shirley , sugar, rosemary,thyme, poppy, lily, violet, minx, pearl, jasmine, kalli, pickle, tickle, truman, curtley, collingwood, broady and monty

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Wow - really interesting results so far!! I like both bucks and does - and I've had some totally not squishy-but-actually-rather-hyper bucks that have disproved all the theories I'd heard!! :lol:

Mocha's the first buck I've had that has really behaved like a squishy buck 'should' do! :wink: Even then, most of the time he prefers exploring to sitting on my knee now he's got his girly friends. When he was alone, he was incredibly 'clingy' with me and would spend hours on my knee, but although he still likes a cuddle and will sit for a few minutes to have a scritch, he likes to wander off again pretty quickly.

Keep those votes coming..... please.... :D