P@H general

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

In general, what do you think of P@H?

Great
2%
Ok
55%
Awful
44%

Total votes: 64

Rafflesmoose

P@H general

Post by Rafflesmoose » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:57 am

I just want to know what you all think of P@H really. I have heard bad reports, but the one I go to (Clifton Moor, York) is alright really. They seem quite knowledgeable. The only drawback is those weird pellets they keep their rats on, that look more like pony nuts than anything else! :lol: We know a breeder who sends some of his kittens there when he can't get homes for them, and they vetted him out well before taking them. Apparently, they only accept kittens from 'acceptable' sources. They seem to be trying anyway! What do you think? Maybe some branches are better than others! :wink:
Oh, and their rat museli seems great - hardly any of that seed stuff that others use to bulk out their foods, which ratties don't eat! :roll:

Thanks for the opinions!

Vicky x
New Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rat_fans/
Feel free to join ;) !

Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:27 am

The 'wierd' pellets are probably Bio-Catolet - much better than sawdust which alot of P@H's still seem to use. Mine's OK _ only place I can get Burgess Spua Frutti so I do have to go there. Not greatly enamoured with it to be honest.

Moomin2009

Post by Moomin2009 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:27 am

Ooh! Ooh! A York person *gets excited*

I was quite impressed the first time I went in, because the rats were in one of the larger chinchilla wooden hutch things with toys and stuff. Now, though, they have them in tanks with nothing much there (and there so isn't enough room for them in there). They do have a pretty good selection of small animal stuff though, and sadly there isn't a lot of choice of pet shops in York.

Rafflesmoose

Post by Rafflesmoose » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:37 am

I use Bio Catolet and it isn't that....I think it's their own brand or something!

Thanks for the replies, and YEY, someone else from York!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
*gets excited too* lol

Whereabouts are you Moomin? I'm just outside York - not far from Thirsk.

Vicky x
Feel free to join ;) !

roguez

Post by roguez » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:49 am

i think its ok, but then i have only been to p@h twice mainly because its quite along way from me, its in croydon and i'm in north london. i will be going back but mainly just for treats and toys for all my pets especially as christmas is just around the corner and means i can get them all new things :)
:rainbow: to all my babys who have passed over to rainbow bridge, run free and play hard :love:

shibby69

Post by shibby69 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:58 am

don't like the one near me-some members of staff are very rude, and they sold me a she, claiming she was a he lol. there are often many dead fish in there too
Kyra x
Atlas rattery - Breeding for essex in russian blue, and also breeding russian dove, buff and black
http://www.atlasrats.co.uk

sniffles

depends on area

Post by sniffles » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:38 pm

while i was at uni in wrexham i had mixed opinions on p@h because thier rats never looked healthy (i lost count of the number of complaints i made) but on the other paw i got all my supplies from there. Now i'm back home in scunthorpe and its the opposite the rats look fine but thier selection of everything else is pants. :-?
:rainbow: howard- still miss u
:halo: muppet
spanner

Rafflesmoose

Post by Rafflesmoose » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Hmmm....it really does sound like it varies completely by branch then doesn't it? Thanks for the help guys. Any more opinions appreciated.... :wink:
Vicky x
Feel free to join ;) !

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:36 pm

I too am from York

I will not go into PAH now. I find I can find everything my rats could possibly need elsewhere (online).

Katie

Rafflesmoose

Post by Rafflesmoose » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:41 pm

Cool, so many york people!!! And I didn't think anyone in Yorkshire had rats! lol, where do you all get your rats from? I always have such a problem because all breeders that have rats available are down south :roll:
Oh well! Maybe I'm just not patient enough! :lol:

Don't you find that it's so much more expensive online tho - because of postage? I seem to, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places...

Vicky x
Feel free to join ;) !

Moomin2009

Post by Moomin2009 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:31 pm

Rafflemouse - I live pretty close to the centre of York. I'm getting a couple of Templeton babies (two weeks today, not that I'm counting down or anything...) and a couple of rescues from Manchester.

I'm still looking for local stockists of various foods and bedding though.

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:57 pm

The 'wierd' pellets are probably Bio-Catolet

Said Pellets are wood based cat litter pellets. Not good for the rats to live on. I'd consider PAH 'OK' if they didn't sell animals :wink:
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

anya1973

Post by anya1973 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:09 pm

I agree - OK (if a little expensive) if they didn't sell animals. I don't think any pet shops should be allowed to sell pets anymore. There are enough breeders and rescue places to get animals from.

Helen :-?
<:3 )~~Aubergine, Lunar, Conker, Flippy, Zebedee, Fernando, Angel, Milly, Lucy & Polly
And always in my heart: <:3 )~~ Ratchet, Bungle, Gonzo, Sparky, Chippy & Floppy (sleep well my darlings)

furryfeet

Post by furryfeet » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:20 pm

anya1973 wrote: I don't think any pet shops should be allowed to sell pets

I agree with this, I don't support any shop that sells animals. I do not buy anything at all in PAH, I will not give any of my hard-earned money to anywhere that supports rodent farms. I also do not believe most small pet shops are any better - basically they breed animals that they sell to anyone (no questions asked about cage size, experience etc) and they do not track the animals in any way so they do not know if they are breeding healthy animals or not. The fact they do it on a smaller scale does not make them any better.
Alison
and the furryfeet rats

shibby69

Post by shibby69 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:22 pm

furryfeet wrote:I agree with this, I don't support any shop that sells animals. I do not buy anything at all in PAH, I will not give any of my hard-earned money to anywhere that supports rodent farms. I also do not believe most small pet shops are any better - basically they breed animals that they sell to anyone (no questions asked about cage size, experience etc) and they do not track the animals in any way so they do not know if they are breeding healthy animals or not. The fact they do it on a smaller scale does not make them any better.

me too. i buy my products from a shop which don't sell animals and i order things i can't get from there from the internet
Kyra x
Atlas rattery - Breeding for essex in russian blue, and also breeding russian dove, buff and black
http://www.atlasrats.co.uk