Ok, hands up - who will admit they've got too many ??

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

Who thinks maybe they have too many rats?

Ok I admit it!
35%
No, I'm fine !
65%

Total votes: 72

toyah

Post by toyah » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:47 am

I have more rats than I would ideally own at the moment (bit too much KMR recently), but I think that's a different thing to having "too many"...
Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.

Hawthorn Rats - http://www.hawthorn.smugmug.com

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:54 am

I like to keep my numbers at around 10....as that's about the easiest amount to cope with for me, especially if there is a nice spread of ages.

Even when we do resume breeding again in the spring (we're having a break after the tragedy with Bethan and her litter), I'll probably still have my numbers around the 10 to low teens area...unless I get struck with KMR! :lol: i think even if you do breed it's possible to keep your numbers down by only keeping one or two from each litter, and not producing lots of litters at the same time.

I'm also unlikely to keep large numbers of bucks....my original plan was to not keep bucks at all and just borrow them for stud when needed, but those plans went to pot when a little Burmese dumbo boy survived against the odds, and stole my heart :love:

Ratkeeping only ever feels a bit much when I have a lot with health problems at the same time, and then it's an emotional stress rather than financial :( At the moment I'm paying the price for having a lot of oldies within 6 months of each other :(
http://www.cariadrats.co.uk
Cariad Stud, for burmese, russian burmese, and chocolatey goodness!

Kitkat

Post by Kitkat » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:12 am

I've said too many. Not too bad at the moment as I only have 8 of my own plus 7 fosters. But I think I have about 25 animals altogether and at one point when I had all the foster babies I worked out I had nearly 60 animals in the house! That was a bit much.

At the moment it works nicely cos I can let all my girls plus my two noballs out together and just about get away with letting the other boys out altogether. So only two lots of play time which helps.

But I do want to concentrate on fostering in the future so I'm not planning on taking any more permanents in. I'd like to just have one cage of my own really and then perhaps a cage to take a long term foster or desperate oldie sort of thing.

Holly

Post by Holly » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:27 pm

I just have two ratties...and they are perfect for me. :D

I am very new to being a rat owner and I certainly wouldn't have taken on more than two at the outset. I can see how easy it is for GMR to strike though - especially meeting so many gorgeous ratties at shows etc.

I am currently prevented from GMRing by my cage (Michelangelo) which has a limit of 3 ratties but I love the cage and it is perfect for my two boys.

A part of me would love to buy a really big cage and get more ratties - I certainly don't have time for extra cages but could theoretically have a bigger cage to increase numbers - however I love being able to spend quality time with both boys and that would be diminshed if the numbers grew.

Also, I work quite long hours and have other hobbies and activities keeping me busy so I don't think it would be fair for me to have any more pets because I just wouldn't be able to give them the attention they deserve.

I need to win the lottery and give up work and then I can fill the house with animals!!
Holly

:love: Benoit
:rainbow: Sebastian :rainbow: Harvey :rainbow: Shamus :rainbow: Oliver :rainbow: Giles :rainbow: Louis :rainbow: Henri :rainbow: Seth

ellieviolet

Post by ellieviolet » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:04 pm

i was going to limit myself to 6, but saw these two old rescue girls on here and took them too as i had a spare cage. and they are lovely cuddly sweet girls. so i have put i have too many, but would not let any of them go now. but in common with lots of other people i have all my original 6 rats within a six month age range, so at some point its all going to go horrible.
ellie :girly: the dixie does and dude and the disco divas
:rainbow: my angels, not forgotten

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:09 pm

I picked no, at the moment iv got 6 girlies, and the most I have had is 8, these were all in 1 cage and it was a nice number. I think number wise my limit would be about 10, this is the number I think i could deal with, so they all have out time, seperate cuddle 1 on 1 time etc.
I would absolutely love to GMR right now but cant because of the virus my lot have, I will have to wait untill they have all sadly gone :cry: which Im not looking forward too. I miss the eeper'ness of babies, the way they pop corn around with an inqusitive look on there face. My youngest are now 16 months, the eldest 3 years old.

I think the only time I struggle time wise is if you have a poorly rat, your mind is focused on them and every minute of every day is spent with them, so your other healthy ratties dont really get a look in :(
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

tigerbabe

Post by tigerbabe » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:30 pm

I don't have too many rats but I do have to many cages!

I have 11 rats in 5 cages. 7 of the 11 were all in together originally and that was how I planned to keep it but they had other ideas. First Zach started bullying everyone else except Ollie and it got to the point where they wouldn't come out of their house even for food or water, so Zach & Ollie moved into their own cage. I could have had Zach neutered but he's such a loving / licky boy with me and I didn't want to risk his personality changing even slightly.

Then the other 5 of the original 7 had to be split into a pair and a trio and they are all so much happier now.

I got milo and Dylan planning to intro them to a group I already had but sadly lost the boys they were going to be living with. And I got Honey and Chloe to keep Coco company for the last few months of his life.

I'm hoping to be down to 4 cages soonish though... Milo is booked in to be neutered on the 28th and hopefully I'll be moving the girls in with him and Dylan once it's safe to (obviously how soon after depends on how intro's go)

So basically 11 rats would be easy for me if they'd all be nice to their mum and live together :roll:
Kerry
:smileyrat:Ralph, Horace, Sidney, Malcolm, Jeff, Harold, Oscar, Herbert, Chester, Alfie & Max - Peanut, Snowball (hamsters) - Pixie (dog)
Jack, Emily, Harry, Sophie, Willow, Simon, Smudge & Jasper (bunnies)

Sardines

Post by Sardines » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:41 pm

You know, at one point I had 35 rats! That does include 2 rescue litters mind, but I loved it! I could spend all my day playing wiht them, doing my homework on teh floor while the pages got nibbled, and looking after gorgeous babies...

And now, I'm falling apart, because the closest thing to vermin I have is my boyfriend.

*kicks new landlord*
Hakuna Matata. Yep. Me as well.

BrokenFish

Post by BrokenFish » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:39 am

I voted too many, but I suppose it's not really true, or if it is it is only temporary. Today I brought my nubers up to 12 with my new sweet rescue boy Riely. And I am Rat sitting 5 lovely rats until Tanksgiving. Then on Nov 25 I will be back down to 7. But I will miss the rats I am sitting. They are a joy!
:hearts: Me, :girly: Izabelle, Miecy, Penelope, Pi & Blossom :oldbuck: Spot & Gibbs :smileyrat: Stuart, Oliver, Alexander, & Simon, Manny, Oscar, & Gilroy; :baby: Trout & Pickle

mcfadyen

Post by mcfadyen » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:46 pm

I haven't voted because I don't think I have enough! :roll: I have 6 at the moment- my lowest number for some time. The most ratties I've had at one time was 15, but I think that was pushing it for us: we didn't really have the time for 3 cages and 3 seperate out times (the cleaning was okay) bt we tried as hard as possible. One cage had 2 middle-aged rehomers in it but sadly we lost one just a few months later. His brother continued, on his own because he didn't like our other bucks AT ALL, for over a year and a half :) When he left us we decided not to extend to 3 cages again.

Sadly I've lost many special rats this year, most within a very short time of each other :( But now I have the 3 boys, all the same age (9 months), and my three girls: Moss and Bree, who are both 15 months old, and dear sweet Luna, the oldest of the lot at 34 months :hearts: I'd like a couple more boys and a couple more girls, to keep the ages varied a bit- though I realise that keeping the ages similar in cages can help with diet and things like that, I like a little bit of variety so that dealing with the deaths of the older ones is a little easier (gosh, that sounds so selfish :oops:). And also seeing an older rat playing with a younger rat, or snuggled up together, is just so lovely :)

So I am planning GMR in the VERY near future :wink: 10 seems like such a nice round number... :lol:

Metermaid

Post by Metermaid » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:46 pm

mcfadyen wrote:I haven't voted because I don't think I have enough! :roll:

See...I hadn't thought of that option! :roll:
Rita
:smileyrat: Dudley, Dennis :baby: Moses, Archie, Zachary,Phoenix & Fox
:dumboteen: Boots, Bear
:rainbow: Gerald, Digby, Splash, Stripe, Pugsley, Max, Chester, Pogle, Toby & Teddy, Mr Pob, Barnaby, Donny, Jeffrey, Milo, Merlin, Derek

Rathole

Post by Rathole » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:37 pm

i have 5 rats in 2 cages. It didnt start out that way but i had to split the naughty boys, dont think i have too many as i can cope with them easily, but i wish they were all still in together. Something to take into consideration when you have GMR is will they get on with current rats. I am getting 2 more rats, and then i am at my limit :lol:
He who lies down with rats, wakes up with holes in T shirt.

http://beltanerats.webs.com/

nichola treeves

Post by nichola treeves » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:31 pm

I have just 6, 2 boys and 4 girls but i still want more
Nichola :)

Ally, Ellie, Luna, Sky, Tilly :girly:
Georgie, Hatty, Alfie, Maddy, Lotte, Freddy, Holly :rainbow:

LauraElysia

Post by LauraElysia » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:59 pm

I have so far kept my numbers to four and below for the following reasons:

Vet bills - there is a limit to how much I can afford and you know how when it rains, it pours. I don't earn much money and have to think of what would happen if they all got ill at once.
Space - there is simply nowhere else for another cage full time and I don't believe in cramming a cage too full - that is if intros go ok!
Time - the time it takes to free range and clean them means four is my limit - my flat is not so ratproofed that I don't have to watch them! I work full time and find four rats fit well into the rest of the free time I have available.
Ratsitting Finding a ratsitter becomes more difficult the more rats you have, whether you are talking finding someone, or transporting the cages, or what...

When I took on a third cage to ratsit, it was fine for the month I was ratsitting but not something I could do permanently, I don't think.

This is why, like Wendal, I don't find resisting GMR all that difficult. That isn't to say if my vet told me of a rat that would be PTS, I wouldn't take it, but I certainly won't actively seek any more than that number.
Basie and Ellington

RIP Sebastian, Malvolio, Amelie, Rufus, Chaplin, Cadbury, Charlie and Thornton

ali67

Post by ali67 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:32 pm

mcfadyen wrote: I'd like a couple more boys and a couple more girls, to keep the ages varied a bit- though I realise that keeping the ages similar in cages can help with diet and things like that, I like a little bit of variety so that dealing with the deaths of the older ones is a little easier (gosh, that sounds so selfish :oops:). And also seeing an older rat playing with a younger rat, or snuggled up together, is just so lovely :)

I don't think it's selfish - or if it is, I've been selfish! I took two kittens from Furryfeet then lost two of my other boys a few weeks later, within 3 weeks of each other. Even though it was a bit of a strain in the sense that I had kittens who needed lots of fuss and attention, whilst trying to give loads of time (and worry) to the ill boys, I swear that having the young ones there kept me sane. In all the black moments where I'd be lying on the bed with an ill rat, knowing the end was near, and wondering why I put myself through rat-parenthood, I'd look up and see the babies wrestling, squealing, playing peek-a-boo with me, and generally being so full of fun and life, and I'd remember exactly why I love having rats around. They definitely made the losses much much easier to bear :) .
Ali
:smileyrat: Meredith Elizabeth Jessica
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah