rescuing biting girl from rspca should i?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

should i give this little girl a home

yes
95%
no
5%

Total votes: 39

ellieviolet

rescuing biting girl from rspca should i?

Post by ellieviolet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:27 pm

i was at the rspca in bath the other day and she is very unhappy and scared. she bit me so i dont know whether to offer her a home or not. they are keeping her on her own in the main foyer of the centre where everyone who walks past can annoy her. they said she was about a year old but i dont think so, i would say about 6-8 months. she has not been handled much but was a pretty little girl. can anybody else who has rescued biting girls offer me any advice? i did wonder if she would settle down if put in with other girls? or would i just end up with lots of bites and a miserable rat who hates everyone :cry:
ellie :girly: the dixie does and dude and the disco divas
:rainbow: my angels, not forgotten

Millyrat

Post by Millyrat » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:42 pm

My friend at work was talking about that rat today! Apparently the staff said she was ok with other rats just not people. What colour is she?
Becka (me) and Tarja, Izzy, and Clementine (the rats)

ellieviolet

Post by ellieviolet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:43 pm

everyone is saying yes, but not offering me any advice. help me, fellow rat lovers :-?

Kitkat

Post by Kitkat » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:54 pm

I would say yes, cos the poor girl is clearly miserable at the moment being on her own and out in a foyer.

There's a good chance that once she is somewhere quiet, she has some nice relaxed friends and she gets to know you she will settle down and stop biting. Most biting is caused by fear so she just needs to know she can trust someone.

Her chances of finding an understanding owner are slim and at the RSPCA I would imagine her chances of being put to sleep as a result are quite high.

I guess what you have to ask yourself is can you cope with the worst case scenario ie she continues biting. It is easy enough to keep a rat and not put yourself in a situation where you'll get bitten. You could handle her with gloves or a towel or train her to walk into a tube so you can move her. But are you willing to have a rat who might never love you? Only you can answer that.

I'd go for it myself :wink:

sec0ndsight

Post by sec0ndsight » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:12 pm

i cant really offer any advice really as ive never rescued a rat. plus at the end of the day its purely your decision.

if i was in your possition, id probably take her. she sounds like she could do with a loving forever home and think of how rewarding it would be to train her until shes a lovely squishy girl! but thats a possiblity i guess

good luck with your decision anyway!
Ket :D

Snuffles from the girls
:dumbo: Biscuit :smileyrat: Persephone :smileyrat: Neechi :smileyrat: Pan

:rainbow: RIP Mia,Malakai,Zero,Gogo,Azrael,Jezebel,Ceefa,Puck,Chihiro,Miho,Mania,Echo,Mazikeen,Daquiri,Donowitz,Oren,Mitsuko and Cheese

SillyTilly

Post by SillyTilly » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:33 pm

I've taken on two supposed biters now. One never showed any sign of aggression with me, because I was handling her with sympathy and respect rather than just grabbing her.

The other did get hissy and huffy to start with me and made a few lunges. I just used thin leather gloves and within a matter of days he learnt that I wasn't that bad and let me pick him up and handle him without problems. (He does still scream like a girl if you pick him up to stop him doing something which he enjoys :roll: )

I'd go for it.

If ABSOLUTE push comes to shove and you can't turn her around then you can advertise her on here - she's much more likely to get a good home, than stuck in the RSPCA.

OLivia
Grand Finale, Finestaire, Fin de Siecle, Sarah, HG, Jude and Madonna.
Sleep tight Dilwyn, Eleanor, Belle, Yorkie, Chloe, Lily, Missy, Rosie, Tess, Dru, Faith, Hope, Charity, Felicity, Dominic, Sam, Sophie, Penny and Sky

http://www.dales-fans.org.uk

ali67

Post by ali67 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:34 pm

I'm with Kitkat and Olivia on this one. The absolute worst thing that could happen is that she doesn't get on with other rats, however it doesn't sound as if that's the case here.

The second worst thing is that you might end up with a rat who bites throughout her life and where you feel you're doing all the giving and not getting much back.

I've been in that situation with a bitey rescue I took on at a year old (him, not me!) and have to say that it's a situation I'd willingly put myself into again. I was never able to trust him 100% around my fingers, and had to invent all kinds of ways to pick him up and so on, but the bond we ended up having between us, and the strength of the love I felt for him, just through having worked so hard with him, made every bite and stressful moment worthwhile.

Also bear in mind (bit of arm twisting here!) that if she ends up with someone less able to cope, she might find herself back at the rescue before too long.

It's also worth remembering that many people have rehomed supposed biters, only to never receive a bite from them from the minute they get home.

I'd say Go For It!
Last edited by ali67 on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ali
:smileyrat: Meredith Elizabeth Jessica
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah

ellieviolet

Post by ellieviolet » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:46 pm

i do feel so bad for this little girl left there, i dont know how the rspca know how she is with other rats cos they dont have any other rats there.

i already have dakota another rescue i took in who doesnt let me pick her up, she will climb all over me, but panics if picked up, so we compromised and i dont pick her up, but she will follow my hand to go places. so its not then end of the world if this little one doesnt become cuddly. i probably will home her, already thinking of names possibly "kentucky", cos it sounds kind of feisty and continues my american theme.

:lol: ali, i kind of like the idea that you thought we might think you were the biter

emma_j

Post by emma_j » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:47 pm

I haven't answered the poll because I don't think anyone else can decide this for you - only you can know if you are able to take this girl on. This is the thing when you start working with animals - you get exposed to lots of sob stories and want to take them all home with you!

If you are able to offer her what she needs - taming and ratty company, and are prepared for all possible outcomes - that she doesn't tame, that she injures your other rats, that you have to end up keeping her alone in a different cage etc......if you know you can do that then take her. But if you're in doubt then work hard at finding her a suitable forever home.

If you're going to be put in situations like this it's a good idea to set yourself limits....ie what sorts of animals you can and can't take on and how many of each! I've had to do this to myself otherwise I'd take home every sad case I met, and I'd very quickly be overrun!
Daikoku Rattery - Breeding for Russian Doves
Owned by Indy, Otis, TJ & Elvis, Thatcher, Boom & Charlie, Grace, Poppy, Roxy, Skye, Summer, Honey, Minx & Penny
Missing Bella, Smoke, Aimee, Martha, Yaris, Dexter, Amber, George and Ruby

ali67

Post by ali67 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:48 pm

ellieviolet wrote:
:lol: ali, i kind of like the idea that you thought we might think you were the biter

Well you've met me, you know how fierce I look!
Ali
:smileyrat: Meredith Elizabeth Jessica
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah

beetroot

Post by beetroot » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:57 pm

I've got four rescues, three of which were bity. They're almost totally trustworthy now. Robert Dyass sell all suede gardening gloves that are still quite flexible. My girls started bruxing and being loving way before they stopped biting. The really aggressive lunging from one has completely gone. Sometimes there's a sort of testing the situation, curiosity bite that's very slow, giving you time to eak, which I've found very recently works to stop them before the jaw actually closes.
What sort of bite is she using? I think if it's a lunge you can use the 20 minute socialization technique. It can work extremely quickly.
No-one can decide for you, but if you don't want to take her on, I'd take Olivia's suggestion and advertise her on here. That's the most could be expected from you. Keep us updated though.

Vicki_of_Abno

Post by Vicki_of_Abno » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:02 pm

I don't have a bitey rescue, but my pet shop girl (God only knows how she's been handled) bites quite a bit.
She's once drawn blood, but she's getting better and now that she's trusting me more, she's biting less.

I really think you should get her. And with a big helping of baby food and patience, you might find you get somewhere.

Poor girl.
Vicki x

:smileyrat: Mo, Woody & :dumboteen: Marley & :girly: Felix, Gizmo & :dumbogirly: Dot

Dreama

Post by Dreama » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Mitzy was a biter. I was told right from the start that she was 'a bit nippy'. Anyway she had a lot of personality. I hope she comes back in another incarnation as I'm really missing her.

It really depends how you react to being bitten. If you just stock up on bandages, cream and some thick gloves I find biting is no big deal. Particularly in a rat that was as affectionate and communitive as Mitzy. Some people may feel differantly about being bitten and become really scared of their rat which won't do at all as rats seem to sense fear and it makes them worse.
RIP: Mia, Belle, Ariel, and Nadia

rattyhaven

Post by rattyhaven » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:56 am

I have just taken on an aggerssive buck who is about as nasty as a snail since I got him home, he has settled really well and is really friendly, I think he was just stressed out as I am now their 5th home.

She may well settle down with a regular carer and a stable home but she may not.

Owning a biting rat is not the end of the world but can be annoying when you are trying to do things with them. There are diffenent kinds of biters to and each rat is different. If you think you have the time and the patience to take her on then do, but if not then don't. I know it is hard when you feel sorry for them (that is why I ended up with these two new bucks) but you have to think about you and your current rats if you turely believe you can help her go for it and if you don't then don't feel bad.

What ever you decide good luck
Siobhan & The Amicus Rats
http://www.amicus-rats.co.uk
The Rodent Awareness & Welfare Association
http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/profile.ph ... =rawaboard

'The only constant is change'

evejames

girls

Post by evejames » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:53 pm

So Ellie, did you take the girls? How is work at the RSPCA anyway?