Flushed Away - Dreamworks new animated film about a rat!

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!

Good or bad thing?

Good
67%
Bad
33%

Total votes: 12

Bryony

Flushed Away - Dreamworks new animated film about a rat!

Post by Bryony » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:48 pm

Has anyone else heard about the new Dreamworks Animated film, Flushed Away?

It's the story of an uptown rat that gets flushed down the toilet from his penthouse apartment, ending in the sewers of London, where he has to learn a whole new and different way of life.
More info at; http://www.cavyrescue.co.uk/cgi-bin/news.pl?record=44

Dreamworks Animation are the company that did Shrek, Sharks Tale, Madagascar, Wallace and Gromit etc. so should be good!

BUT is anyone worried about what'll happen when loads of kids watch this and nag mum and dad into getting a pet rat? I can see it now, one lonely rat in a hamster cage, cleaned out every few weeks when mum has the time and only got out of his cage when the child has friends round.

Am i being cynical? What do you think?
Is this a good thing? - hopefully it'll educate people that rats are not dirty, smelly vermin but intelligant, fun pets.
Or a bad thing?- resulting in above described situation
:smileyrat: Poppy - minion of Riff, Jaffa and Pippin
:halo: Rio, Pickle, Cleo, Fanta, Tango, Sprite and Daisy
http://www.myspace.com/bryony_uk

neep_neep

Post by neep_neep » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:02 pm

I can be a bit of a cynic, and I do agree that any film of this sort results in children nagging their parents for one.

I work in a pet shop, and after Finding Nemo came out, there were ridiculous numbers of children with parents squealing 'I want a Nemo!!!' and parents asking 'Do you sell Nemo fish?'

Of course the reply to that was 'no, we don't sell marine fish...' then when you tell them how much it costs for a marine set-up, you see their faces drop :lol:

It's quite sad though, that people will get their kids a pet on a whim without finding anything out first :(

It happened after finding Nemo, and i'm pretty sure it will happen after this film too. Maybe not to the same degree, but I think there will be an increase in the number of kids wanting rats.

alpaca49

Re: Flushed Away - Dreamworks new animated film about a rat!

Post by alpaca49 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:39 am

Bryony wrote:
Dreamworks Animation are the company that did Shrek, Sharks Tale, Madagascar, Wallace and Gromit etc. so should be good!

The animation on wallace and gromit was not dreamworks. It was a good old home grown company (in bristol) aardman animation. It think it was just dreamworks that distributed the film, and stumped up the cash! But i could be wrong.
:oldbuck: Woody + Sam, :rainbow: Victor :rainbow: Mort and :rainbow: Henry :rainbow: Rosie :rainbow: Dexter :rainbow: Oscar :rainbow: Brian, :rainbow: Riff & :rainbow: Raff :rainbow: Ichabod :rainbow: Rincewind :rainbow:Captain Jack :rainbow: Barney

Bryony

Re: Flushed Away - Dreamworks new animated film about a rat!

Post by Bryony » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:42 pm

The animation on wallace and gromit was not dreamworks. It was a good old home grown company (in bristol) aardman animation. It think it was just dreamworks that distributed the film, and stumped up the cash! But i could be wrong.

oh sorry, i looked on the dreamworks website and they listed Wallace and Gromit as one of their movies, i think you're right though.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:54 pm

I think a number of people emailed Dreamworks last year when there was first info about this film, asking them to put out lots of info about proper care of rats. I did but I just got a standard automatic email reply and nothing else after that. I do think its a worry. I hate to think of all the pet rats who could be bought and suffer because of this film
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:54 pm

Does anyone know what colour the star rat is?
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Julie84

Post by Julie84 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:01 pm

PurpleGoddess92 wrote:Does anyone know what colour the star rat is?

There are some pilot 'previews' at the bottom of this page.

I think the 'star' is the posh rat - he is wearing a suit but his face is like a buff colour (dark eyes) with dark brown 'hair' (like a human). The 'sewer' rat (their term not mine!) looks the same but is fat and dressed scruffily - from what I can make out! So not really ratty at all. :roll:
Love Julie &
:girly: Esme & Lyra xxxx
Greatly missed :rainbow: Beau, Florrie, Mario, Izzy, Schnitzel, Ellie, Kaiser, Violet & Lily :halo:

Bryony

Post by Bryony » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:13 pm

Yeah the star rat, Roddy (voice of Hugh Jackman) is sort of brown and Rita (kate winslet) is ..well.. brown!

It's been made by Aardman Animations, the guys that did Wallace and Gromit, info and a few pic's here

http://animation.dreamworksfansite.com/flushedaway/