intro's going well?

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
burninglight

intro's going well?

Post by burninglight » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:07 pm

ok, well i have just returned home after picking up 2 kittens to keep my old boy company. I decided to do some quick intro. on the floor infront of the cage my old boy Marvin had a good sniff, seamed unimpressed and returned to his cage. The two little boys then followed him in.

New to this i decided to see where it went, ready for a huge fight to break loose. Marvin, seems to be avoiding the kids, trying to find somewhere to sleep while they explore. He doesn't seem bothered either way by them, nor them by him.

Now i'm just curious. Is this a very good intro or some non-intro. Is it safe to leave these boys in the cage with marvin (i'll be supervising tonight - until i sleep - and tomorrow) or should i put them in a seperate cage while i sleep?

i guess i just expected this to be more difficult.

Seaweed

Post by Seaweed » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Had a similar intro when I got two boys to be friends with my older fella Pablo (16 months). After a day or two in cages next to each other I let Pab back into the main cage where the boys were and after an initial sniffle nothing more exciting than Howard running into a tube and Pablo settling down for a nibble and a nap. Vince and Howard were about 3/4 months old and appear not to have been handled much (I'm still making friends with 'em) but never a squeak was uttered in anger. Seeing Howard using Pablo as a pillow for the first time was amazing to see and they now all have a new igloo that I can't get 'em to leave - even for treats!! :D :-?
Rats: Pablo, Vince and Howard and ickle dumbo Naboo!