rats and rented accomidation

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
Rasboozy

rats and rented accomidation

Post by Rasboozy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Right for the few of you that dont know, my parent have gone travelling for a year around the world (yes very hippy cool parents!) I have been renting our family home off my parents as they needed someone to pay the mortage while they are away and obviously i need somewhere to live. I have been a student for the last 18 months and am due to qualify in September, my parent also come home from their travels in September.

The number of furries I have, have grown considerably while they have been away (from 4 to 14). So am thinking I am gunna need to move out shortly after they come back! :lol:

I am going to apply for a Keyworker flat as I work in the NHS. Now, do I really need to declare I have pet rats to the renting agent??? I am sure everyone is going to say yes I have to declare it, but its not like they are a cat or dog that roam around freely.... they are caged and make minimal noise. Can I get away with not mentioning it? I want to get a two bedroom place so my babies have a room of their own, but obviously many, many many people are not rat friendly.

How does everyone tackle this hurdle?? :o

Cate

Re: rats and rented accomidation

Post by Cate » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:57 pm

I really think you need to come clean about it; I'm sure the landlord has every right to ask you or them (or both) to leave if he discovers them later.

However, I'd describe them as "small caged animals" rather than "rats" - at least to start with. :wink:

Aliwoo

Post by Aliwoo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:38 pm

i didnt tell my landlord, till the day we got the keys and moved in :lol: thats only cos on the advertisement it didnt say anything about no pets and the contract just before we signed it said no pets without landlords permission. i came clean when i saw that as did not want trouble. she was fine about it and said that rule is mostly for dogs really..although she asked if my cat was neutered lol, which he is :). best to be clear though as ofc people see things differently, to some they mean dog, others they could mean anything! you dont want to be caught with them put it that way, and they do do inspections....my landlord actually commented on how the rats dont smell like she thought they might do. :lol:
another baby woo due 22nd feb 2010 :)

Inner Chorus

Post by Inner Chorus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:52 pm

I'd always ask. It's simply not worth risking the possibility that you'll be asked to get rid of your rats.
Laura (& Howl, Gellert and Tabris) :halo:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:17 pm

yep, "small caged pets" is good lol.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Yes you should, felflowne got stuck when her landlord came in (illegally, but that's beside the point) and she had her rats and a group of foster rats, he went a bit mad because the agreement was for a rat (not the 8 she had).

If you don't get agreement then there's a possibility that the landlord may make you rehome them.

BTW if you want a rat friendly landlord, should I mention I was thinking about getting a lodger around Sept time :wink:
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

MyDearSam

Post by MyDearSam » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 pm

"Small caged animals, like a hamster" would be a way to do it :roll: :lol:
Lizzy

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 am

I said Fancy Rats to everyone I asked about a flat when I moved out of my parents.

They're more accepting of them than you think. And the fancy bit on the front tends to blind them with science abit :lol:
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

trogladite

Post by trogladite » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:44 am

I've been surprised since I stopped living with my parents. I was led to believe it might be hard to find somewhere that would allow pets, but both the places I have lived since moving out have accepted them without any issue. I didn't even specify what I wanted to keep - I just asked "Can I keep pets?". First landlord said yes but not cats or dogs. Second landlord said keep whatever you like as long as you pay for any damage caused.

Which is nice.
Neil

:smileyrat: Sage, Twiglet, Clover, Pearl, Saffron, Poppy
:rainbow: Holly, Sherry, Parsnip, Lucy, Millie, Amy, Nessa, Marigold, Derek, Lily, Rosemary

Vicki_of_Abno

Post by Vicki_of_Abno » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 am

I had no problems either - my landlord changed the contract to add in a clause allowing my rats.

And I'm currently looking for accommodation for Uni and same thing - I've had more replies than I could count stating they're more than happy to allow all my fancy rats to come with me :D

Honesty is definitely the best policy - just emphasise the SECURE cage bit :lol:
Vicki x

:smileyrat: Mo, Woody & :dumboteen: Marley & :girly: Felix, Gizmo & :dumbogirly: Dot

velvet_nothing

Post by velvet_nothing » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:28 am

I tend to ask casually, when I'm close to signing a contract with the landlord, "Oh, are small caged pets allowed? No cats or dogs or anything." :wink: I haven't had any refusals yet, but am always slightly nervous about asking!

BunnyWestley

Post by BunnyWestley » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:45 am

We didn't bother.

The landlord came over one night to fix a door handle (he gave us one and we had to cobble something together), Snoop happened to wander out of his bed and the landlord said "Whats that?" and we said "Its a rat" happened ages ago and we've not been chucked out. Think its more for cats and dogs which could bring in fleas as it says about flea treating a house if pets are discovered.

He doesn't know I have 7 though. And a hamster.

Or that the rats have eaten the curtains.

Rasboozy

Post by Rasboozy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 am

So generally people dont have a problem taking their babies with them to rented accomadation....? I think maybe I was more worried than I should have been as there always seems to be loads of post on here where people are panicking as they cant find anywhere to live that accepts rats :o

OK so when I start looking I shall ask if I can keep small, securely caged pets and hope for the best! I know my friends that live in Keyworker flats have about 10 rats in theirs, but then they part own that so I am imagining its not like renting....

Thanks for the offer of the Lodgering role Lois, will keep it in mind :D

Debs

Post by Debs » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:10 am

I've had two or three rented places that were absolutely no pets at all, so I think it's probably best to check before you sign - most are more accepting than you might think, but I do think it's always best to make things official.

The worst thing would be to have a rat phobic landlord throw you out or force you to rehome your pets if they found out. Or even just a landlord wanting you to get out (have had friends forced to move so the landlord can re-advertise at a higher rent) and using them an excuse!
Deb & the New World Rats

Hollyanna

Post by Hollyanna » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:26 pm

Hiya,
I've always just casually mentioned it just before signing the contract by saying "oh yeah..is it okay to have a small caged pet like a hamster...? I've not got one yet but was thinkin of it..." If they say yes then you'll be fine, and if they say no you've not signed the contract yet so no problem in backing out. In my experience they're usually fine about it - it's usually because if you want a dog or cat they then have to clean the carpets before the next tennants move in when you move out.
Honesty (half-honesty!) is always the right way to go. Once they agree to small caged animal then they've agreed to rats! Just make sure they dont escape and dig up the carpet... :oops: My OH had to disguise the damage!! x
:teen: Arian ~ Melfed the menace (9 Dec 09)~Cutie Crempog (22 Sept 09)~Sweetie Menyn (9 July 09)~Gentle Bara (31 March 09)~Brave Caws (5 April 08)~Little Sglods (31 March 08)~