Show Your Free-Range Areas

Share pictures of cages, rat rooms, free range areas, etc.to offer inspiration to others
RetroLemons

Show Your Free-Range Areas

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Ive seen so many Show you... but never one for your freerange area. Its such an important part of our ratties lives, and it would be great for some inspiration of what to do for them when they're out. (:

These are my old ones, as im currently using my double bed etc so need newer pictures. (:

From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

acapae_wolf

Re: Show Your Free-Range Areas

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Awful photos, I'll get better ones when I'm home for the holidays. With rats added and minus cages mid cleanout :oops:

Mine get the top bathroom that's only used by me/ if someone is staying most of the time. Unfortunately the current ones are very good at vertical jumps and scrambles... thus can get everywhere apart from a shelf that isn't shown in the photos... :rollred:

Round the corner (set up for syrian free range at this point judging by what's there)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:54 pm

I tend to use the landing or stairs for free rangining, they get less toys on the stairs as i will kill myself with them if i'm not careful but here's a typical layout.

This one was them waiting for me to finish cleaning out there cage they were not impressed with me not joining in the play with them and spent the whole time visiting me
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

hunnieb

Post by hunnieb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:56 pm

hi, mine free-range in the bathroom. its the only place they cant destroy anything (except when cupcake managed to get up onto the sink n chew the hubbys toothbrush :lol: :lol: )

louise x
owned by: cupcake, bella, piglet and betsy and the boys- dominic, gorgeous george, harry and duncan.

forever missed- beautiful rosie, darling sydney, sweet laurence who fought so hard to live and my hunky man MEEP, missed soooo much :(

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:34 am

I'm lucky to have a rat room which is safe for the rats to explore all over it, but this is the main play corner:

It varies depending on what cages I've got set up and what 'stuff' I've got available. There's also various tubes, steps, and a digging box not in that picture which move about the room.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm

I got some better photos :)

This is the 'main' area and I normally sit by the door. The bookcase normally gets climbed too.

If you notice the barrier there, it's not actually one. Playing to their weaknesses it goes up becuase then they think they're doing something norty when they climb over (via the stool and bath) it's even more exciting than if I gave them the whole room straight!

At the minute on the other side is the spare tomthing which had the ratsits in last week. I haven't taken it down yet as apparently a cage in semi-dismantled state also feels norty to be exploring lol.

And then round the corner there's a few floor toys and some more climbing via the bookcase thing they can climb all the way up, the radiator that gets walked along and the doweling that gets balanced off etc.

The red bucket is half-filled with diggable things (compost atm but it changes) and stones and sprouts. Not in the pictures holding the 'barrier' up with the scales is another smaller bucket filled with various sized stones and shells. I normally put things on the shelves for the rats to find, but didn't today as I'm not sure how much tiltface can manage and I don't want the others to get treats she can't get to.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Essk

Post by Essk » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am

We free range in the living room, they have the run of the play table and sofa and, for now, they don't seem too keen to get on the floor. I keep telling them the floor is a scary place filled with monsters :lol:

a better view of the play table. It has an old shower curtain dangling down either side to discourage the little adventurers from trying to reach the chaos stored underneath.
Sarah
Owned by Ollie, Monty, Scott, Reg, Otter, Twix & Red <8O~~
Member of the Explorer Club :-D

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:05 pm

My rats also have their own room to run around in, which is completely safe for them.

This is it in normal mode :lol:

Just add cat scratching posts, tubes, boxes and rats :D (Piccies of it in use to come!)
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Mine free range in the living room but usually climb the furniture etc instead of playing with any toys/setup!!

Here's little Susie enjoying herself.
They usually jump onto the plant pot here and climb up the inside of the mattress and then onto the alcove top. Susie then climbs out onto the fig tree and then usually needs to be rescued.
Under the Explorer leading along to a few boxes and things
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 pm

I've been meaning to upload photos of our free range room here for aaages. We do out-time in the hallway, where there's a nice sized alcove for their cat tree and where things are stored during the day so we're not constantly tripping over them. These photos are from a little while ago..

Here's the alcove.. with cat tree, digging box (currently full of finacard, little cardboard boxes and nuts) and a wicker cat bed thing. Also currently home to a cardboard box castle.

The rest of the hallway. The cactus scratching post is on top of the cat tree at the moment, to give Esme a route down from on top of the coats, there are some cardboard boxes in it's place.

They also have the stairs, now that Esme's a bit more trustworthy.. but they're kind of boring to take photos of!
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

NewRat

Post by NewRat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 am

I free range my boys in my hallway. These are the pictures of their new setup an all their new toys that I bought from Fat_Rat:

I put up 4ft boards across the stairs to prevent them escaping upstairs which I have my back to in this picture. I put down blankets so that the rats don't pick up anything we might bring in from outside. They have a soft octopus, their carrier (to toilet in or hide in), a cardboard box, a soft rat toy, a tunnel and their cat scratching post.

And this picture is round the corner from the cat scratching post. They have a pop-up house and a tea cosy to hide in. (and David measuring his jump into the cat scratching box :lol: ).

RIP David xx Run Free at the Bridge. Love you always xx 19th February 2011
RIP Jack and Mickey xx Run free at the Bridge. Love you forever xx 20th June 2011

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Some pictures of my set up. They have the entire room to run around in but I tend to keep the stuff for them to play in on one side so I have space to potter about.

The shelves which appear to be more fun to climb than anything else in the room:

I fill a cat carrier with finacard and put some nuts in to add something extra. There's also a digging box of soil but its not in the picture:
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

fiffithehippy

Post by fiffithehippy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:28 am

I use my hallway. :) Really need to get some blankets to throw down, my carpet is pretty old and manky, not made any better by rat pee. :lol:
Fiona x
:girly: Minstrel, Malteaser, Smudge & Fudge

Forever missing:
:rainbow: Bailey

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:29 am

To continue the theme of my rat cages being in awkward areas to photo... :roll:
Working from the doorway round the furthest point in the bathroom, and more horrendously messy than normal as they seem to have been on a norty ruining things quest this week.

Bookcase next to the door. All the cool people have books properly by the loo :lol: Thankfully they're ones that don't reaaaaaaally matter if they get wet/ chewed (other than the encyclopaedias on the bottom - and a couple of the older books in the middle - that we're leaving my parents to discover on their own). Either climb up the front using the books, or scramble between the wood and the wall - not sure specifically, I'm too big to see :lol:

Try not to miss your footing on the bookcase as there's some water down below! And some food, that someone delightfully artistically put there :roll: Towel is there to be burrowed in, and the pot of stones sometimes has food hidden in, but also keeps the door of the carrier open. They get transported from the cage to the bathroom in the carrier, and I leave it there so they have a homely place to retreat to if they so wish. Also some of them use it as a litter tray, handily.

The easy way to get onto the bath. Usually they don't have food during free range, but if they do, the bowl goes on the stool.

Ah look, a handy staircase.

Then a big jump onto the surface (or a pause and confusion if you're Orbit)

And tada! You're up by the sink where you really shouldn't be :roll: In this photo I was using the sink as a deeper paddling pool though. To get back down, either shimmy down the doorframe/ front of the cupboard underneath. Or scramble down the way you came using the plastic thing to help this time.

Bit of open floor between the area near the bookcase and the area round the corner. I normally sit myself down leaning against the bath with a book, or with my laptop on the loo for extra amusements :lol: The brown thing is a throw I normally have wrapped around me when in there as it can be quite cold in winter.

The red thing is [well, was, it's been chewed off now] a sort of loop-tassled bit of material, and the most agile can climb it certainly to the top of the radiator, and often onto the dowelling (meant to be for hanging towels on). The dowelling towards the left side of the photo has a habit of rotating when there's a rat on it, for extra difficulties. The gap between the bath and the radiator, behind the cat tree, is also frequently climbed - up the end of the radiator I assume.

From last time I took photos the shelving unit is on a different wayy (was 90* round). This way I can store my Tom62 (the flatpacked cage) without it looking too messy - everything else is piled up on top and covered when needs to look tidy. The plastic box has various cardboard boxes in. The green thing is an old mixing bowl with a door cut in, there's random stuff in there basically. Talking of dowelling and radiators, someone got onto the little shelf above that you can see here tonight. I have no idea how - previously it was via the shelves, but they're not opposite rather than touching. The bowls on top of the shelves have gravel in, and the liquid is vinegar, so safe.

Base level of the shelves has 2 buckets and a tube. The red bucket has gravel in, and someone's been using it as a litter tray. The clear one usually has material, or some substrate or earth or whatever in.

To get up onto the top of the shelves they normally jump from the tom62 to one of the vertical gaps. And then somehow walk across to the righthand end and climb up, and then up the cage (which is only there for storage rather than meant for a ladder) to the top. They do the same coming down again somehow - not sure how they don't just fall off the shelf the cage is on however..!

Currently the 'shove things in here for the rats to find' box is being a deep paddling pool thingy. The things that were in it are in the space where it was/ on top of the tom.
*~~Beri~~*

Elizabeth13

Post by Elizabeth13 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:19 pm

My little ratties have...

- bridge to their cage
- two different sized layered mattresses
- igloo
- toilet roll
- large tube
- bridge to the cage from mattress
- pet carrier on its side open