How to: Make a cargo net

A place for members to post tutorials explaining how to do or make something.
ScattieMcRattie

How to: Make a cargo net

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:05 pm

This is probably one of the easiest, most versatile things you can make for your ratties. if you can tie a knot...you can make a cargo net. :D

i know there are "how to make a cargo net out of t-shirts" about the forum but i've never tried it myself but i should imagine it works on the same princple, so if you've made one of those you can make one of these. However Some people showed an interest in the cargo nets i make for my boys after seeing some piccies about the forum and asked me if i could do instructions so here they are :D

You will need

A Pair of scissors.
A Nylon washing line.
About an hour of your time.

1) Cut the washing line into equal lengths. i dont useually bother to measure it, and just use my arm span as a guide. Spread my arms and wrap the line around my thumbs the way some of us probably had to do for our parents when unpicking knitting. Once the line is all measured out this way cut the loops so you have seperate strands.Out of a average 30m washing line this useually gives me 20 equal lengths of nylon cord. it may look very long for your needs but once you start knotting it the length will be eaten up

You should have something like this

2) Take two pieces of Line and knot them together about two inches from the end like so...

and then continue to do the same with the rest of them so instead of haveing 20 single strands you now have 10 double strands like so

Dont worry if you have an odd strand dont throw it away just tie a knot in it like all the others

3A)Next you need to find some way to anchor all the strands in place for you to work on. i chose to trap them in my sock draw by the knot. lay them all out next to eachother makeign sure they're not twisted.

3B)When you close the drawer make sure you can see which are the knotted together strands like so....

4)you will have a nice row of double lengths of line. In the first strand, of the first double, tie a knot about an inch or two finger lengths from the knot trapped in the draw

5A)now you want to take the second strand of the first double and knot it with the first strand of the second double.....like so

5B)Continue to do this straight accross all the lengths knotting together the seperate strands, so you have a nice line of knots

5C) move down to the next row and knot the first two strands back together.

And continue along in the same mannor, untill you have a a second nice row of knots.

if you get to the end and have a odd strand again, just knot it and carry on to the next row

6)Keep going with you third row in the same manner and you will have created a nice diamond pattern

7) and then basically just keep on knotting, it doesnt really matter how tidy you make it but if you can keep your knots in a relatively straight & level line, each row about an inch apart, as you go along your net will look neeter and will stretch more evenly when you want to hang it in place.

8) when you get to the bottom and the ends of the line has started to unravel, finish your last row of knots and cut off all the frayed ends

9) Take it out the draw give it a stretch this way and that to get it to lay right and there you have a completed cargo net :D

you can make them to any length width you want useing more/less strands of line, longer/shorter lengths. you can make the right size to fit any gap. you can make smaller ones for in the cage or great long ones for spanning the furniture, climbing frames etc for free range. if you leave the ends longer you can tie them straight onto the cage bars or even table legs. they are great for stuffing with treats and threading with bedding too

anyways perhaps i got a bit carried away with the pictorial but i hope you have fun haveing a go

and yet again here is one of my cargo nets being modeled by Guber :)
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

MistressSadako

Re: HOW TO: Make a Cargo net out of washing line :D with pics :D

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:21 pm

I've made one :D :D :D

Took me not much more than half an hour, and cost me £1 - made from 2 50p washing lines from B&M Bargains. I have another 2 lines (in green and blue) for the boys cage - giving my fingers a rest before I do that one! Going to put the net up soon, but here's a pic of it just now...
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 pm

I made a mini one out of scraps of fleece, will make a proper one later in this week :D

Enough for the corner of the cage~
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

heleni0

Post by heleni0 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm

it all went a bit wonky in the middle lol

Flickr: Because Everyone Knows Photography is Awesome.
Twitter: My randomness condensed into 140 characters
Facebook: Will add anyone I know and who isn't creepy!

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:52 pm

I got washing line and was a bit tricky constructing as the line kept rolling up and getting tangled @_@

Buut i did manage to make one, which my housemate's boys have in their cage at the moment.

Then i found a ball of string lying around, and this was so much easier to work with, so i made one for my girls cage~
I found it kinda just went right in at the moment so i used some chain clips to pull the shape out a bit :)
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

Scribble

Post by Scribble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:07 pm

I bought washing lines & some rope dog toys - though i didn't try the dog toys yet

heres my washing net one

Owned By Rats - Socrates, Bic, Bak & Rodchenko
Syran - Charlie, Gerbil - Lemmy, Chinchillas - Chokey and Gillium

RIP Ben & Scritti

heleni0

Post by heleni0 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Piccies of the boys enjoying their cargo net. Or at least, some blurry shapes enjoying their cargo net :roll: If only it were a tiiiiny bit longer!

I'm going to give the rubbishy yellow one to the mice when I clean out their tank tomorrow :oops:
Flickr: Because Everyone Knows Photography is Awesome.
Twitter: My randomness condensed into 140 characters
Facebook: Will add anyone I know and who isn't creepy!

Scribble

Post by Scribble » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 pm

made another from some dog toy rope

Owned By Rats - Socrates, Bic, Bak & Rodchenko
Syran - Charlie, Gerbil - Lemmy, Chinchillas - Chokey and Gillium

RIP Ben & Scritti

Raggle

Post by Raggle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:35 pm

Awesome guide, I've wanted cargo nets for ages but was put off by the price!
Heres my wonky first go, its a bit on the small side as one strand started to fray so next time I'll knot the bottoms too I think.

Modeled by Billy Boy.
Ratties:Billy Boy, Bandit, Splodge, Tuther and Wedge.

At the bridge.
Archie, Jesse, Scooter, Captain Handsome, PixyLix, Super Trooper, Tinkerbell.

Templeton

Re: How to: Make a cargo net

Post by Templeton » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Here's one I made by unravelling a rope-ball dog toy and using the above techniques..

(Being adeptly modeled by the girls)
Caretaker of Rogue, Jubilee, Shadowcat & Storm.
With fond memories of dearest Akuma, Balrog, Beldaran, Bison, Blanka, Cyclops, Dhalsim, Elfie, Glinda, Guile, Nessa, Polgara, Ryu, Vega & Zangief.