Double-decker hammock

A place for members to post tutorials explaining how to do or make something.
Blossomgirl

Double-decker hammock

Post by Blossomgirl » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

My boys adore these. I can't have enough of them in the cage, particularly in the winter. I prefer to make them triangular, but you can also make them square. The entrances will be a little smaller though, so that's less suitable for big, studly bucks!

Start with 4 pieces of fabric (I use 2 fleece, 2 cotton), cut to the same size. They need to be equilateral triangles (all sides the same length). I have a stencil made of stiff cardboard to cut around. My triangles are 50cm per side. You also need 3 bits of fabric/binding/shoelaces to make the loops to hang it up.

Now place two of the triangles against each other, with the 'good' side facing inwards.

Sew these 2 triangles together, leaving a gap of about 5cm, so that you can turn it the right way round. Make the gap near one of the points.

Now turn the hammock the right way round.

Take your other 2 triangles, and place one under your stitched triangle, and one over your stitched triangle, with the 'good' side facing inwards. Like this:

Now pin your loops in the corners, facing inwards, like this:

Now stitch this triangle all the way around, just like you did the first one. Again, leave a gap to turn it round later.

Now you need to cut off the points of the first triangle, which are sticking out

So you land up with this:

Using the hole you left, turn the hammock the right way round, and you should have this:

You still have a hole

So stitch it closed using slipstitch, and you're done!
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel