Show your own homemade hammocks

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
ScattieMcRattie

Re: Show your own homemade hammocks

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun May 17, 2009 2:19 pm

LucyW wrote:
ScattieMcRattie wrote:i have been hammocking like carzy the last two days to fill my new Furet Tower. I used cheep stripy tea-towels from Wilkinsons and lined them with blue fleece from a dog blanket (also from wilko's).

in the last two days i made; a corner hammock, a double corner hammock, a double hammock, two square hammocks, a seemless pyramid hammock, and a pouched hammock i also used plaited material to make ropes. i had so much fun doing this i plan to make loads more, with better materials(as my boys arent chewers) i esp want to make a a cube, another double(cos my boys love it) atunnel and whatever else i can think of i am truely addicted to hammocking now :oops: :lol:

anyway Here are the Pics

I really like the look of these ones, did you do it with 2 squares, one much bigger than the other? I saw it and thought oooh simple enough and made a rat's dinner out of it in the end :wink:

hi lucyW... yep its to squares one 15 inches and one 9" you just make them both as individual hammocks the join them together at the corners. try again its easier after a few goes you learn from your mistakes..i did any way. i learned after messing up my pyramid thing to read instructions prop and not think i know what they are going to say :lol: i also learned to make the hole big enough so i can turn the thing in the right way without tearing my material and haveing to cut stitches :oops: i used cheep cheep material so not really worried bout messing it up or rats chewing it i used t-towels 5 for £2 and a fleece dog blanket £4.99 and i made all theese and still have material left for more. (ps that double hammock my boys love it someone is always in it and occasionally they all get in together and there is one nose poking out of every loop.

lynnb wrote:They look great :D what eyelet tool do you use to put your eyelets in, I've got two different types but can't get them in properly, when I do manage it, they fall out again :-?
I've been using D rings instead, but I think eyelets look neater.

hi lynneB i bought a pack of gromits that came with a small plastic doohicky and some metal thingymabobs :o its hard to explain how to put them together without showing a whole picture story but i'll try.....(if you want a picture story to help pm me and i'll nock one up quick for you no problem

in the pack there is..the plastic tool which bends in two and has a hole in each end. and there are two different metal blocks that fit in the holes...one with a flat top and ridge, and the other with a cone in the middle. there is also a short metal rod with a hole in one end and a flat edge on the other. plus the two gromit peices one with a whole and one with a tube.and a small plastic flat disk about the size of a 50p

insert the metal rod into one hole in the plastic tool-(this is the punch to cut a hole to make way for the gromit). plase the plastic disk on the surface with the fabric you want the gromit in over the top. with the punch tool hole end on the fabric-over the disk so you dont punch through your table) WHACK IT with a hammer and punch out the material like a fabric hole punch.

when youve done this take out the metal rod and insert the two metal blocks one each end of the plastic tool. on the block with the flat top and ridge place the gromit part with the tube and push the tube up into the hole in the fabric you made. when it is through get the other part of the gromit **** there is a ridge in this part...a ridge on one side and a corresponding groove on the other***** place the gromit part onto the cone end of the tool with the groove side away from the fabric push it closed and WHACK IT with a hammer. take the tool off and your gromit should be attached. check that the tube part has evenly curled to nestle in the ridge of the top part if it looks raised or you can get your finger nail between the two parts attach the tool again and give it another whack.

if they are not staying together...it could be you are putting the top disk of the gromit on upside down so the tube cant curl over into the ridge and grip.
could be that the material is too thick(too many layers) for the size grommit you have.

the_ruffian wrote:Please may ask what what type of hooks , or metal clasps you use to hang your hammocks, Ive been using cloth strips. I'd rather use a metal hook/clasp. TY in advance :D

i have a mixture of hooks/clasps the ones in the pick above i recycle off of the cargo net i wasnt useing.i think in the back ground you can see i also have a number or metal shower curtain rings my favourite as they are so easy to pop on and off any where. i also use a load of keyring rings, and strips of fabric when i need the length and i also have a few other clips salvaged off a shop bought furry tunnel.

i am pretty sure you can purchase those cargo hammock clips i'm using from fuzzbutts or rat warehouse i know i've seen them somewhere i think it was £1.50 for 6.

anyways i hope this helps all you guys have fun hammocking, when i get better at it i'm gonna get some really nice material and make a whole new set so ther will be loasds more pics to see lol. take care all thanks for appreciating what i made hope to see all your stuff on here too soon
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

the_ruffian

Post by the_ruffian » Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm

TY much! :D
Is soon to be ratless.:'(

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Shall I get a photo of the towel hammocks I use?
http://direct.asda.com/Vintage-Stripe-T ... lt,pd.html

:rollred: :oops: :lol:

I suck.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

xbulletxjuex

Post by xbulletxjuex » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Heres a new one I've dont today :)

Owned by Dylan, Freddie, Chester, Minki, Lexi, Lilli, Lulu, Jimmy and Olly
:love: At the bridge: Beani, Barti, Razzel, Ronnie, Reggie, Tinkerbell, Fidget, Scabbers, Twiglet and Rupert run free babies, miss you everyday

chixiethepixie

Post by chixiethepixie » Sun May 31, 2009 8:26 pm

Love the blanket stitching around the edges :D
Do not pm me unless its a matter of life or death
You cant polish a poo
you wouldn't go streaking down the street and not expect people to look at your jibbly bits :wink:

chixiethepixie

Post by chixiethepixie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:00 am

Ive got 2 weeks completely off uni so when im not doing my ethics essay i shall try to bang out some hammocks/cuddle cups!
You cant polish a poo
you wouldn't go streaking down the street and not expect people to look at your jibbly bits :wink:

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Here is my double cube with connecting side and hole through into the other section. Took me a few days to complete on and off but the girls seem to really like it :D

:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

LittleL

Post by LittleL » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 pm

wow everyone's hammocks and cubes are really good.. i've never been good at sewing, but managed to get a lot of fabric from a car boot, so am of to the mother in laws house over the weekend to use her machine and give it a go.. will show the pics when they done, that's if they any good... :wink:

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:26 am

I made a little cube thing in the early hours of this morning:

Slowly getting the hang of this hammock making business :P
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:52 am

I know, it's great fun and gets easier with each one and then you can create them quite quickly. My sewing has improved after years of no sewing activity :D

macgyiver

Post by macgyiver » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:36 pm

my hammoks look realy naff conpaired to all thes im a man im no gd at soing

chixiethepixie

Post by chixiethepixie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:47 pm

SQEEEEEEEEEEE i got more needles for my machine today!!!!

Yes i am excited :oops: :lol:
You cant polish a poo

macgyiver

Post by macgyiver » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:55 pm

rite my mum is going to tach me haw to sow im have gaverd up old jumpers and stuff im make a meger hammok slash newquler bunker

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:46 am

macgyiver wrote:rite my mum is going to tach me haw to sow im have gaverd up old jumpers and stuff im make a meger hammok slash newquler bunker

Good for you macgyiver, I'm sure your ratties will be very apprecitive of any type of home-made hammock.

macgyiver

Post by macgyiver » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:33 pm

rite i did it i got me mum to take picher4 of me making it to prove i did it so i will post them on here as soon as i fined me camra plz excuse my scruffy non shaven aprense im not a hobo i promish