Abode Club

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
scoobylyn

Re: Abode Club

Post by scoobylyn » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 pm

I have 3 small girls in the Tower which is the bigger cage of the two. Nothing has ever escaped. If they can get the head through the shoulders can follow. I think you'll be fine. Only place I worried was front of the tray because if they manage to move the tray then can get out. I have put perspex around my tray to stop substrate being kicked out so it has solved that worry. Just means I can't pull tray out to clean but it doesn't matter as I use nozzle of hoover to clean and then wipe down with cage cleaner.
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:10 pm

I'll be getting my Abode on the 6th. Can't wait!
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

caismeister

Post by caismeister » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:24 pm

I love mine so much even though the boys are not in it yet fll time. I really want to keep them in it tonight but scared of escapees. Have covered the gap where the tray slides out so at least that bit is blocked.

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Bumping this because I have ordered an Abode!! it should arrive on Tuesday. SO excited, i have never had a new cage before, only second hand ones and i've been lusting after an Abode for about a year now :lol:
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:08 pm

Can anyone confirm bar spacing on their abodes please?

Website says 22mm but I have read 17mm so I am a litte confused as I want to buy one but don't like the idea of meshing it over
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 pm

RCTlisa wrote:Can anyone confirm bar spacing on their abodes please?

Website says 22mm but I have read 17mm so I am a litte confused as I want to buy one but don't like the idea of meshing it over
I think the spacing on my Abode is 17mm, and the bar spacing around the sides it 20mm, but I can't check as I've lost my ruler.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

I`ve just checked and Snippet is absolutely correct.I shouldn`t worry about the 2cm space at the sides. The way it is built , I shouldn`t think there would be any escapes, certainly none of mine have ever done so and two of my girls in the Abode are quite small.....and naughty !!
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:19 pm

it's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!! now to put it up :D it looks so beautiful and shiny....

question: where did people who have put perspex round the bottom get it from and how much did it cost?
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

black_butterfly

Post by black_butterfly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:30 pm

I treated my girls to an Abode as they chewed through the freddy base and could escape very easily!

They love the Abode, as they have lots of space and height with lots of levels. It is a great cage, it looks nice and smart, very sturdy and easy to clean. :)

The only negative is that the base is rubbish as Ammy has chewed most of it again but they cant get out yet.

Where do you get metal bases made and how much roughly do they cost?
Mum to Ammy, Ebony, Hazel, Twix, Gem and Ruby!

Missing Touille :halo:

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi..John Hopewell makes the metal trays and if you email him with the dimensions he will send you a quote .

Metal base :

75.5 cms x 54 cms x 5 cms.

This is just slightly more than the plastic tray that comes with the cage.
My tray is made from stainless steel and fits my Abode exactly.

CovetKaty

Post by CovetKaty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Got my abode tray from John and it's brilliant. I will admit it takes a smidge longer to clean than the plastic one (isn't just wipe clean, does require some scrubbing on stubborn wee spots) but it's totally worth it :D
Run free at the bridge my two beautiful girls.
Maisy and Lola.

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:24 am

hey,

I'vejust ordered my abode and was going to email john hopewell to place an order for the tray, just had a quick question if anyone knows. On the websites the give the measurements as 80x50x96 or something like that - but in the review section the width is 56cm. Are the websites 6cm's off or has the cage changed?

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi.....My post above is the exact measurement of my stainless steel tray and it fits my Abode exactly. The plastic tray which comes with the cage may measure smaller . My tray slides in/out beautifully but the old plastic tray was a bit slack and I think this is how my rats got the purchase on it to chew.

A tray with a depth of 56 cms would leave a gap at the front as the whole cage measures 55 cms and the tray has to fit into that.

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:41 pm

thanks. i only asked as it seemed strange that pets world direct stated the depth as 50cm and I was ordering a tray with one of 54cm - that being said, the measurements on shops are generally off and I trust the people on this site much more than I would trust them. Emailed John to get an order in.

Radiantpaper

Post by Radiantpaper » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:28 pm

Just ordered mine today so should ne here this week :)
Zest Life Coaching
Professional Life & Business Coach, EFT & NLP