Unloved Hammocks???

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
pierced_lady

Unloved Hammocks???

Post by pierced_lady » Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 am

Just wanted to ask, are mine the only rats on this forum that don't love hammocks? My first two girls refused to use them. I thought initially as they were pet shop rats that they were maybe slightly afraid of them, so tried putting treats in all the hammocks to encourage them to go in there. They would take the treats then leave the hammock. I now have 5 gals (YAY) and still none of them use them. I have a sleepy tube they all love that hangs up though. Yesterday I tried putting shredded paper in the hammocks and that went down a treat. The hammocks were invaded by all the rats but only to take the paper and place it elsewhere :lol: It seems with the rats I have that unless they have something over their head they wont sleep in it/on it. At least my hammocks last for ages and never get chewed :lol: My gals fav place to sleep is a piece of sewer pipe (new & unused, lol) that we had left over when OH was laying some drains. They all cuddle up together in there no matter how many hammocks, boxes, and other tubes and fluffy things there are in the cage. I've seen some lovely matching pretty hammock/cube type sets but I can't justify spending loads more money on them when all they really want is a sewer pipe. Maybe they think its better for their street cred to live up to the rats reputation for living in sewers??? 8) :roll: 8)
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

callarat

Re: Unloved Hammocks???

Post by callarat » Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 am

Of my original four girls (my first rats), only one of them liked hammocks. It took nearly 6 months of the hammocks being in the cage unused before the other three were okay with them. They all preferred to pile into the sleeping tubes or cardboard houses. My little boy also refused to get on a hammock, even if there IS food on it. He just sits on the nearest shelf and stares at it longingly. With the chewing of hammocks - I still have my original ones (so 2 years old) without a single chew mark in them - Even though my girls now LOVE the hammocks, they don't ever chew them...
GIRLS ::: Mara, Dahlia, Calla, and Daisy
BOYS ::: Remy and Chance

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 am

Oh at least my girls aren't alone then :-) They aren't scared of them, just don't seem to want to know them. Phew I guess my rats aren't too strange then :lol:
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Fri May 22, 2009 1:28 am

hmm perhaps its the possitioning or the light. perhaps moving the hammock to an area where it is somewhere more private and darker, so they can chill out and relax without feeling over exposed. try a double hammock that has a kind of roof but is still "hammocky"so the feel a bit more secure in it. my boys love their hammocks but if i put them faceing the door where there is too much activity and a bright electric llight they barely use them.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 am

my 3 girls don't like hammocks so now I stretch them out and use them as additional 'shelves'

Just like your girls they seem to prefer being in a enclosed space and love their Sputniks and igloo. They also dislike anything that swings or moves around so that might be another reason they were never too keen on hammocks.

I'm wondering if the will use them once the summer arrives as the only time they's slept 'out in the open' was during that hot spell we had earlier in the year

bagpuss123

Post by bagpuss123 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:31 am

My four uttery refuse hammocks! I've put them in various different places in the cage and put treats in them and still no luck! They will walk though them but will not sit in them. They like their cargo net though so maybe you could try one of those?

I feel your pain, I also look at lovely matching hammock sets and know that it would be pointless to get them!

kat1234

Post by kat1234 » Fri May 22, 2009 8:49 am

my girls only really use their hammocks in the summer, in the winter they all curl up in their igloo and refuse to come out! mayb your girls will be the same?

maybe try rearranging the cage so they have to climb on the hammocks to get to other places - as long as they're not scared I don't see any harm. i've put the food bowl just above the hammock so they have to climb on it to reach their dinner, and they often sit on their hammock now and eat.

I always think that ratties do the opposite of what you want anyway! if you spend lots of money on hammocks and toys they refuse to touch them, but give them an old cardboard box and some tissue and they're in heaven :lol:
Sadly now ratless :(
Missing my girlies guiness :girly:, flora :girly:, baileys :girly: and 'borrowed' girls Ali and Vida.

snowblind

Post by snowblind » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

I have had hammocks before but noone used them and Kahlua eventually just chewed it down and dragged to the house. A few days ago I bought a brand new one with determination to get them loving it. I put the freshies bowl so they have to be in the hammock to get there and a ladder from the nearby shelve to the hammock. They are kind of using it now. Mostly for eating the salad and stuff but yesterday I noticed Kahlua taking a little post- dinner nap there. I have a relly good feeling about the hammock now. If they are using it after just two days, they they have to notice it is great.

I have noticed that rats a pretty much copy cats. Kahlua didn´t like to be picked up or touched until I got Absynthe, my hairless that is reasonably hand tame and got lots of free ranging. Kahlua was over 2 years old at the time and didn´t get any free ranging because she escaped and refused to be caught, and now she is the cuddliest and calmest one of them all. Sierra, my newest girl that had the best socialization with her breeder, is bold and curious and they all are trying new things and are alot more open and friendly since she is around. Just noticed that someone is sleeping in the fabric cube I made. YAY! :D

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Fri May 22, 2009 9:45 am

kat1234 wrote:I always think that ratties do the opposite of what you want anyway! if you spend lots of money on hammocks and toys they refuse to touch them, but give them an old cardboard box and some tissue and they're in heaven :lol:

That is mine exactly. They just love a new box :lol:

I've tried positioning the hammocks in different places, making them more taught or kinda baggy and it makes no difference. Re arranged them last night and re filled them with paper. I'd never put paper in them before the other night, but had tried tempting treats, but the paper really attracts them into the hammocks.

All of the gals went crazy jumping into them and going from one to the other, playing about and really enjoying themselves. It was so cute to see, watching them almost line up to go from shelf to hammock to hammock then bars, then back around again. Where are they all snuggled up now? Sewer pipe :wink: I think they are just being sweet watching my finances, knowing that I'd send silly money on pretty fluffy stuff for them given half a chance :love:

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 am

Mine are fussy about hammocky things. They do use hammocks, but only if they are stretched fairly taut, so they don't move or sag. They also like things over their heads, so the snoozecubes have gone down very well, but for mysterious reasons they don't like tube hammocks, or split hammocks they can crawl inside. And corner hammocks are utterly ignored, even the brilliant fuzzbutt corner crushes, which I'd sleep in, if I were a rat. :roll: Buy them lots of snoozecubes (fuzzbutt), or slumbertubes (Hammocky hammocks)! They might start sleeping on the top, as mine do, and then onto hammocks. Or a fuzzbutt hammockchube, which could start off as a tube, but then gradually open it out til they are comfortable with it as a hammock.

I also go to ridiculous lengths to persuade and bribe them to love all the funky hammocks things I buy them, even if they have made it quite clear they're not interested, thankyou! Ungrateful fuzzies. Or maybe I should just listen to them?! :P
Mine do prefer the more expensive stuff though - they turn their noses up at 'junk' I give them to play with!
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Fri May 22, 2009 10:56 am

My girls will use their one main hammock and ignore all the others. However, since the sputnik went in, the hammock is used much less!
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

Purple Pixie

Post by Purple Pixie » Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 am

Mine took ages to get the idea of what to do with a hammock and spent most of the time squidged in one of those cardboard Chubes, usually with bums hanging out. As I type there are 4 curled up in the tunnel bit of a plammock and two curled up next to it, they have another small hammock above it that does swing quite a lot and only a couple of them will use it.

When I first put the Plammock in it was funny watching them, they would not sleep in it but would go silly and sort of bounce onto their front feet as it they were on a trampoline :roll:

sulumac

Post by sulumac » Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am

my girls sleep in hammock houses and tubes... the flat hammocks are mainly used to bridge gaps and holes that they would fall in... however if its warm they do sprawl about a bit more... oh the one open thing they do like is the top of the cage condo from fuzzbutts!!

the boys on the other hand are always sleeping in open hammocks... i think they maybe feel the heat a bit more???
:dumbogirly: Girlies: Medusa, Pinky, Kali, Nala, Blue and ickle Ruby :dumbogirly:

:love: Boys: Bert and Ernie :love:

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Fri May 22, 2009 11:50 am

Awww I think I'm going to give in trying to get them to sleep where I think they would look cute :lol: From people's pics and hammock comments I thought almost all ratties loved their hammocks. I'll always leave mine in the cage, for them to climb on and to make the most of the space they have in the cage. May still feel the urge to replace their hammocks for all matching ones when I'm flush financially~for my happiness, if not theirs :oops:

Pink Chocolate

Post by Pink Chocolate » Sat May 23, 2009 11:27 pm

my rats will only use certain hammocks its as if they are saying im not using that one its not designer lol

they love acrorats, fuzzbuts and another of the girls on here but they wont use homemade ones or the pink ones from equi....... cant remember rest of word lol
Boys - Joey;Arnie
RIP -Beavis;Butthead;Barcardi;Coke;Delboy;Rodney;Rodders;Columbo;Coffee;Cream,;Mocha
Latte;Basil;Coco-pops;Brush;Billie;Ben,Yoghurt