Shhh, I hate the Ferut Tower

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Rat Man

Shhh, I hate the Ferut Tower

Post by Rat Man » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

I say hate mildly, not that much :wink: . oh, and I say shush, coz I don't want the parents to hear, te he te he :lol: .

Well, i have just finished cleaning the Entire top level of my two girls ferut Tower. they only love in the top half as the bottom half is storage. So,

I took out all the sputniks, hammocks, ladders every thing. Easy. Yes. So I take out all the bedding and substrate like normal. Clean every thing in the bath tub. Easy. Putting everyhting back. HARD. I have a small step ladder but it doesn't reach the top door and ceiling. And I cant reach anything frok the bottom door either. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :roll: :lol: I have only had it since about february, second hand and its brill-loads of space, powder coated and on wheels. But I always seem to strain my muscles in my neck and shoulders. Sigh, i really want a SRS. Sigh, that'll be years before I can save up for that. Might keep an eye on ebay etc though, sorry :oops: wandered of track then :oops: :roll:

PS-Sorry, that is such a useless post :oops:
Nic The Whiskery Blog
Tilly, Ellie, Dorathy, Barbara, Hilda, Maggie, MiMi, Gemma, Thelma & Louise
and the Mice and gerbils
To All those I have Lost, Sleep Tight, See You Soon XX

hazi

Re: Shhh, I hate the Ferut Tower

Post by hazi » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

I had the furet tower and hated it with a vengeance because it was so difficult when it came to cleaning out and stuff. I know exactly where you are coming from there.

You could always buy some cage doors from somewhere, not necessary specific for that cage but that would do and you could modify it so that you had more access points, that would make it a little easier for you.

Not alot more I can suggest really.

Alison
Alison and the gang
EC (Explorer Club) member

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:25 pm

I don't think I'de like the tower due to the height. But I love my XL.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

OllySmirnyAJ

Post by OllySmirnyAJ » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:36 pm

I'd love the height of the Furet Tower (I'm 5'9")

Does it have bad access then? I thought the doors looked pretty generous tbh (I have a Jenny so anything is bound to look more accessible than that!)

pidgeon

Post by pidgeon » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 pm

I love my tower, even cleaning it. :o

I always take the top cage part off the middle base to clean it and then put all the rattie furniture (and there's plenty of it!) in whilst it's on the ground. It is really easy when done like this. Once done I lift the whole thing back on to the base.
Obviously I lift the whole of the top section off when cleaning out the guys underneath. :D
Entertained by-Kerry & Candice, Roley-Moley & Foley

Sleeping now- Bonnie, Gizmo, Trevor, Herbie, Bono, Spike & Dudley

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 pm

i have to agree with you ther rat man... it really doesnt do itself any favours...like the jenny it could be an absolutely fantastic cage if it wasnt for a few niggly points that just make it so hard to live with. i absolutely love my tower for the size and hight and deep bases but i cant enjoy it all to its best because its just so awkwardthe ONE door on the side of each level is sooooooo inadequate for some thing that size and the top door is useless unless your 6,5" i'm 5' 7" and reaching the back of the top is really hard and have to lay on the floor to get into the bottom and lifting the whole top half off to clean the bottom half is 1 very heavy and 2, i dont have a lot or room to put the top half and still manouver in and around the bottom

however i really dont want to cut new doors in it soooooo i came up with the solution of hinging the whole front panel so it opens out like one great big door...i slid the front panel outt of its pipe and clips and removed them......i used small keyring rings/split rings and cable ties down one side as the hinge and am using keyring trigger/lobster clips to fasten the other side so when i want total acces to rearrange i can just open the whole front. so far its working out great its a bit rattly but not much and have used lots of rings and clips so its really quite sturdy perhaps its something you could try before you get tempted to cut new doors
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Jaynie99

Post by Jaynie99 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:59 pm

Have to agree with the OP. I only had mine up for 2 weeks :oops:
:dumbogirly: Bridget, Skipper, Fizzle, Itcy (Fatso) Bitcy (Notso) Nooby & Crunch :dumbogirly:
:rainbow: Dizzy, Pixie, Flake, Lucky, Dolly, Emili, Remi, Ellen, Leela, Rainy & Ruby :rainbow:
:love: Wherever I lay my Rat, that's my home :love:

izimcflizz

Post by izimcflizz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 pm

I take my top half off the tower to clean it and put stuff back- the top door is soo useful. I have to stretch too much for my back so I am getting new door pannels- I cant make anything to save my life. Once we've moved and I've saved up the money again I am getting one for the top and one for the bottom- theyre

" The price of a front pannel is Euro 20,00
The shipping costs to the UK for an order till 30kilo’s are Euro 24,40. "
theyre from www.fretten.nl

If you can collect from Bristol you can add your order to mine, it'll be about 8 weeks til I order
Gogglebox mischief JD Lucy Dali Emma Russell Gandalf Merlin Queenie Sparrow Nova
:rainbow: Theo Puddle-Duck Boomer Adam Bella Hetty Pepper Little-Dorrit Ginger Horus Maia Boo Cleo Kirra Freya Faith River Treacle Honey Star Geordie Pudding Willow