Keeping nails down

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
xbulletxjuex

Keeping nails down

Post by xbulletxjuex » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:50 am

My dad has come up with an idea to make our ratties nails a little less sharp just wanted to check on here see it anyone has tried it or if anyone thinks its a bad idea...
He suggested puttin them sand-paper sheets that are used in bird cages under the substrate so they have to walk on it.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance :)
Owned by Dylan, Freddie, Chester, Minki, Lexi, Lilli, Lulu, Jimmy and Olly
:love: At the bridge: Beani, Barti, Razzel, Ronnie, Reggie, Tinkerbell, Fidget, Scabbers, Twiglet and Rupert run free babies, miss you everyday

katievonlou

Re: Keeping nails down

Post by katievonlou » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 pm

the only problem i can see with that is if they started chewing the sand paper?
i've found that putting bricks under their water bottles does help :D
katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

Hobbit Stealer

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Could sandpaper make their feet sore if they had to walk on it a lot?
Mandy and the Boys: Agouti rex Widget, black roan Teddy, mink berkshire Hobbit and champagne self Womble
I survived Dark Wednesday!
Scrumpy, Whiskey, Murphy and Chaser - we miss you <3
Goodbye Jack :'(

katievonlou

Post by katievonlou » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Hobbit Stealer wrote:Could sandpaper make their feet sore if they had to walk on it a lot?
that's a good point, i suppose it would? the bottoms of their feet are quite soft :-|
katie & the fuzzy butts
ernie, trilbee, hubble, bertie, toots, tiddy, tinker, harley, ivy, merlin, percy, arthur, pip,
sid, pee-wee, elmo, oscar, leia, milly, mini-moo, mama T & lottie

:halo: bluey louie - my beautiful little angel xx

maisy

Post by maisy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 am

i personally wouldn't suggest using sandpaper because of a combination of the two things above a) them chewing it and b) making their feet sore with the added bit that birds poo is quite solid and the sandpaper is easy to change... rats widdle where they want sometimes as well as any food spillages, water drips etc ... this will make the sand paper break up. if it gets wrinkled and dries it could be more uncomfortable to stand on and any sore on their feet could lead to more serious problems and also it makes it harder to clean your cage.

i use bricks, i have bricks under my water bottle and a shallow food bowl that is held in the middle of 3 bricks... this way they have to walk on them. i find it help quite a bit and is cheap.. 40p for a normal brick, sterilised and then put in the cage (they are also really good at filling holes up if your rats chew the cage :lol: ).

if your rats are very soft and like being handled you could also use a soft nail file and gently just give them a 'manicure' hehe.

good luck :)
:hearts: all my little feet past.. your footsteps are my heartbeat :hearts:

xbulletxjuex

Post by xbulletxjuex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks very much for your replies :)
I'm starting to notice a pattern that a lot of things aren't great for rats as they like to eat them :roll: Bless them :)
I'll try the brick idea :)
Owned by Dylan, Freddie, Chester, Minki, Lexi, Lilli, Lulu, Jimmy and Olly
:love: At the bridge: Beani, Barti, Razzel, Ronnie, Reggie, Tinkerbell, Fidget, Scabbers, Twiglet and Rupert run free babies, miss you everyday