Can you suggest a cage for me

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
Jemma

Can you suggest a cage for me

Post by Jemma » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm

I've had my much loved Tommy 82 T3 for a few years now and whilst it's a great cage which i love I'm getting twitchy and feel some cage shopping coming on. The trouble is I've not got a clue which cages to go for so I'm after as many suggestions as folks can make, as long as they fit the following criteria

Size - I'm seriously limited on space at the moment, i want a rat shed but that has to wait a bit so i need something that will fit in the space i have. Ideally the cage would have a 50 x 80 floor print, i might be able to go over that by a few cm's each way but not much. Height wise it needs to be lower than 150cm without a stand (it's on a worksurface), ideally around 110 - 130

Space - absolute minimum is the cage calculators size for 6 rats, really i'm after at least space for 8 or more (my max rat numbers are 6 but i like to have a bit of spare room)

Bars - bar spacing isn't an issue as i'm used to 2cm bars as it is and have a suitable kitten cage, bars idealy would be coated though i can do it myself if i have to. I prefer to avoid mesh style bars, rather the majority are horizontal though i'm open to verticle bars if needs be

Base - i don't mind plastic or metal, my lads aren't chewers, depth wise, i'd prefer tommy/jenny deep rather than shallow bases.

Accessories - i don't need any, shelves etc, i have pleanty of junk, don't mind if it comes with the odd bit though, just don't need it.

Doors - must have good access, i've been spoilt by my tommy, it has big front doors, massive top doors and lots of side doors, minimum would be some big front doors.

Flexibility - one thing i love about my tommy is that you can change it's size fairly easily, whilst it's not really needed it would be nice to have a cage i can shrink and grow if needed.

Splitable - I much prefer cages that i could split into two sections if needs be, this can involve some DIY if needed but ideally it would be minimal (i.e. covering a hole), still i've only ever used this function twice on my tommy and even then i din't really need to with a spare cage in the loft.

Price - I'm not that fussed here, i probably would prefer not to spend over £150 unless the cage was perfect but i have a bit saved up i would love a bargain though.

Any ideas then, thank you
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Ticklesqueek

Re: Can you suggest a cage for me

Post by Ticklesqueek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:34 am

The happy house on petworlddirect fits that footprint size and without the stand it wouldn't be too tall, cage calculator says it will hold 9 rats. Only problem is it dosn't look like it can be split too easily although it does have two large doors top and bottom so with a bit of DIY it could be done. Only £106 at the moment too which seems a bargin. Hope that helped a bit im not a cage expert :wink:
Member of the Explorer Club. Owned by Eorl (Eo)RIP, Theoden (Denny) and Gamling.
The Rodent Complementary Theory
"In any pair (or small group) of rats, the individual personalities interact in such a way as to create a perfect balance."

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:03 am

I'd wait till you have more space then get a SRS :lol:
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:40 am

I'd have the SRS but it won't fit, i'm planning that one when i get my rat shed but thats a long way off

The happy house does look good, wonder if many folk have them
Jemma
Muse rattery

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:42 am

I remember seeing pics of one all decked out and it looked great apart from the fact that it's WHITE!
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:36 pm

wow your criteria is pretty wide and leaves a lot of scope for choise 50x80x150 approximate is pretty standard size for any parrot type cage, or large critter cage. as your open on price you cant narrow it down that way.the scope is massive within your criteria. of the biggest widest cages n your criteria there is all the common/usuall...SRS is top of everyones list but you can also get the similar and much cheeper, critter nation, ferret nation, high rise mammal, low rise mammal, happy house and tower and duetto any number of convertable parrot cages such as the boston and the miami suitable for houseing well over six rats. of the tall square variety there are the loads of ferplast brio and aria type cages and then moveing away from the heavy wrought iron there is the superpet, multilevel home, ferret kingdom, and the ferplast furet tower (which i have) and furet xl. also the fop yole and i think the martina will hold 6.

i personally absolutely love the clean living multi level by ware manufacturing which comes in three widths and allso has add on levels, so you can make it as tall as you like. and will easily hold 6 but is hard to come by in the uk....linky to previouse thread about it and of the other ones mentioned above and by other people i would go for the happy home as personally i prefer white bars.have you looked through the sho your cage sectiona nd seen anything you like? i pm'd a few people and asked about theirs when i was looking no one minded. good luck with your search perhaps this was not much use, or perhaps i've introed something you havent thought of yet. hope what ever you decide on you post lots of lovely piccys. good luck and happy cage shopping.

heather x
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 pm

I'd really love one of the clean living cages but i can't find them anywhere in the UK now, they look like a solider version of my tommy. Zooplus don't seem to do them anymore alas.
Jemma
Muse rattery

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:25 am

Jemma wrote:I'd really love one of the clean living cages but i can't find them anywhere in the UK now, they look like a solider version of my tommy. Zooplus don't seem to do them anymore alas.

hi Jemma,

zooplus was the only uk place i saw them and i really really wanted one and when i tried to order one it was out of stock then they told me they have discontinued them due to lack of interest i was soooooo mad. i tried to get one direct from the manufacturer i wanted it soooooo bad but was told they dont have any suppliers in the uk thats as far as i took it but perhaps if you ask again they will do something for you.cos in my opinion its an absolutely fantastic cage and they really need to find a uk stockist.

if you cant get hold of one(but if you do let me know) out of all thats available i think maybe i would suggest either the happy home, the tower, or waiting just a litlle bit till you can afford an SRS cos they truely are one of the best designed cages on the market today.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Both the SRS and the tower are just too big for my space which is really tight. I do have full intentions of doing the rat shed thing, however as we're planning a house extension one day (or more accurately my husband wants a solid garage rather than our rickety thing) so i've made him promise i can get a proper rat room built on the back (he gets something for his hobby, i get something for mine lol), so unfortunately it will be a while but when i'ts built i'll have tonnes of space for the SRS.

I've been looking at the boston critter, does anyone have one of these, I'm just interested if it'll fit as it's a bit tall but I'm not sure if that includes the stand.
Jemma
Muse rattery

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm

i think you said your max hight is 150cm the boston is 163cm and the stand is built in so you cant un-attach it but it is a really nice cage and i have seen places selling them with "critter conversions so there are shelves and ladders in there..like this i think you will find most if not all the parrot type cages are over 150 cm tall. if you go for the boston i would say beware of ebay sellers as someone i know had a very very bad bad experience a particular one when she also bought the boston.

have you considered the Superpet multilevel home.....hereits really nice and has so much scope for expansion (when you've more space) with tubes and jioning other bit on to it when you have more space. if you look at the thread in the show your cage i remember seeing someone who has joined lots together with tubes making a beautiful wall. its on a stand that i believe is removable and is 67inches tall not sure what that is in cm but i think its within your requirements. its colourfull and spare parts are really easy to come by like shelves and ladders a variation on this is the similar feretrail multifloor here

one last thing is did you notice the corner parrot cage on pet world direct i think it is within your requirements and very space saving being a corner design. i think the door appear to be one huge door top to bottom so great access and a good size room for 6-8 possibly more though its hard to calculate as they only have two measurement on the site. i think this is really nice to and when i was buying this was on the top of my list

hope some of this has been a help good luck happy shopping :D
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

cpiggott22

Post by cpiggott22 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm sorry for being a bit ignorant but I'm dying to know what the SRS is?? Could someone please help me out :oops:
Owned by Dill, Lola, Bo & Hattie xx .....and new to the crew.....Millie & Skye :)

To all those at the bridge, gone but never forgotten xxx Jess, Cam, Moose, Tammie, Sandie & Nemmy xxx

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:02 pm

cpiggott22 wrote:I'm sorry for being a bit ignorant but I'm dying to know what the SRS is?? Could someone please help me out :oops:

hehe dont worry honey it stands for the Savic Royal Suit... and is by far one of the most popular cages on this forum check out the thread and the members of the royal family lol (all the people that own the royal suit) it costs about £250 and a similarly designed cheeper alternatives are the ferret/critter nation, the explorer, and the high rise mammal
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

EmmaB

Post by EmmaB » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:30 am

Hi

Ive had our happy house for a few months now and we love it, its a similar floor print to the double Freddy thing we had before but taller- the doors are lovely and big, it's realy easy to clean, and comes with a stand on wheels for extra storage. We got ours from petworld direct for 105-ish pounds,(including delivery) which I think is very reasonable. Only downsides are the lots of silly little doors ( 9 I think) that have to be cable-tied shut before you put anyone in, although the two main doors do have nice little locky things on them. Also it is very white but now that I'm used to it it's not that bad. The floor is a slidy out tray so I use fleece rather than substrate but if you'd rather have substrate I guess a nice big cat litter tray would fit in fine.

Cage calculater says nine , so our 5 girls are very happy in their happy house :D

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

Thanks for all the great advice and idea's. I was just wondering for those of you with an SRS, just how big is the external dimensions less the stand, and can you remove the stand or is it a hatchet job to get it off. Not that I'm thinking about it... just every time i look at other cages i keep thinking, but if i got a SRS it would do this as well. I still don't think i have the room however i might be able to squeeze it in somewhere elsewhere in the house.

If not I'm deffinitley thinking positively of the happy house, i don't suppose anyone knows what the build standards like. I like a solid sturdy cage, it's the engineer in me, just feels nice, my tommys never quite delivered that though it's stood up well to my many set up changes and flat packing.

Thanks
Jemma
Muse rattery

EmmaB

Post by EmmaB » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:03 am

[url]i don't suppose anyone knows what the build standards like.[/url]

I think the build quality's quite good- from what I've seen I don't believe it's as sturdy as the explorer or the SRS, but far more solid than the freddy/jenny style cages :)