Making Hammocks...

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
x Kelly x

Making Hammocks...

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Okay, so im rubbish at sewing and i'm gonna have to sew them by hand... but...
yesterday i bought a childs hat, 7 tea towels, but 2 i was going to use to pad them out a bit, because they're cotton and are the type that look like they're already been pulled... can i use cotton tea-towels that look virtually like anything but cotton?
I also got a sleeping bag for a baby, like a baby grow but a baby sleeping bag.. which is so cosy, so they'll love this! But...

How can i make them into hammocks? Im rubbish at sewing! lol

Thanks for any ideas :D
Poppy- Dog //Dusty & Freddie- Hamsters//JoJo(RIP), Archie, Oscar(RIP), Lenny, Yellow Lady, Hoppy, Zoppy(RIP) and Sparky- Budgies//Goldfish// Bobby, Charlie, Dylan, Sammy, Sarky, Jupe- Ratties :D

the_ruffian

Re: Making Hammocks...

Post by the_ruffian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Is soon to be ratless.:'(

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 pm

hiya,

dont be put off, hammocks can be as fancy or as simple as you want or are able to make them. my first hammocks were t-towels folded in half with a whole in each corner attached with bits of more t-towel and i swear even with all the lovely ones i tried to make a folded t-towel was their favourite *shrugs* after all my boys have just discovered the joys of chewing everthing in site so making anything to fancy if its not gonna last a week is a waist of time. like the gorgeouse padded round sided nest i took two days to make took them three days to eat down to a pile of scrap material on a string.

t-towels are great as long as they arent the fluffy type with the loops in as toes and nails easilly get caught same with any other fabric it needs to be fairly close weave.

with the hat you can attach long threads in a triangle format making a nice hanging basket bed. you can just nip a small hole in three places and thread something through to hang it with tie a knot in it to keep it in place.....i always use the cut off stiched edges of t-towels as the cord to attach my hammocks esp good for lengthening them.

with the t towels its easy to make a large double hammock....just cut one t-towel down by a third in length, or even just fold one in half and again cut a small hole in each corner and with a full size t-towel with a whole in each crner join them together at the corners by threading cord through the holes and you have a double hammock no stiching required.

another idea is to make a tube tunnel by sowin the long edges together and again nipping four small holes to hang it up....currently my boys are enjoying a leg off a pair of old jeans as a lovely comfy tunnel.

if your rats like sprawling out on the shelves like mine do perhaps a nice padded matress to make the shelf more comfy all you need is a few layers of old material or some padding sewn together round the edges in whatever shape you choose or fits your shelf. i've got three, two triangles the shape of the shelf big enough for all four and a little round one for when they want to be alone for my boys and they love them so much they have now taken all the bedding out of the nest box up to the shelf on top the matress or crash pad as i call it and thats pretty much where they sleep and are now useing the prices lovely wicker basket bed i bought them as a toilet

its hard to think what to do with the sleeping bag as i cant think what it loooks like but imagining its a baby sized normal sleeping bag you could either have it flat as a normal hammock with the added benefit of a cosy compartment underneath....or hang it off the wall so the slip down into a cosey little pocket.

i dont know what else to suggest but have you looked at the Show your own homemade hammocks thread there are some absolutely great ideas and designs that could help you. and dont forget to post pics when youve made yours

hope this helps good luck and happy sewing
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 pm

WOW, thank you, both of them replies were really really useful! I think im going to make half of the sleeping bag into a pouch and then somehow make the rest into a hammock... RE the tea-towels, there are 2 that are loose, but i was going to use them as padding so they wouldn't actually get to them, and the other 5 are all very close weaven cotton, so hopefully this will be fine to use :D

I've put some holes in the hat, and then threaded a piece of cotton ribben that was wrapped around the tea-towels through the holes and then through the bars so its kind of like a corner hammock now, it looks tacky from the outside because there is loads of white cotton on show, but i don't care, as long as the rats will be happy :D

I'll post a picture of what the sleeping bag is like, that might help people to help me with suggestions.. ill take a picture now :D

2 minutes...
Poppy- Dog //Dusty & Freddie- Hamsters//JoJo(RIP), Archie, Oscar(RIP), Lenny, Yellow Lady, Hoppy, Zoppy(RIP) and Sparky- Budgies//Goldfish// Bobby, Charlie, Dylan, Sammy, Sarky, Jupe- Ratties :D

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 pm

how do i post pictures? lol

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:29 pm

hee heee

first you need to have preferably a photobucket account....if you have that all you need to do is upload your photos to photobucket...making sure they are no bigger than 640x480 pixels.

then selcect the pics you want to add to your msg and copy and paste the code direct into the msg and your pic should appear.....

there are lots of different codes to choose depending on variouse things..the code you will need and is best for this site i think is "IMG code for msg boards....."

i think this is right its how i do my pictures anyway.

if you dont have a photobucket account there are others you can use but i dont know what they are and it will only take a matter of minuits to set one up. i only use my photobucket to put pictures on this site.
fingers crossed hope to see your picies soon....and love to see what you did with the hat too
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:44 pm

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks for your help :D I luckily had a photobucket account for another forum lol... this is thebaby sleeping bag that i'm gonna use for hammocks and pouches; i just don't know how! lol

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 pm

hmmmm looks to me like a nice thick padded dress with poppers down the sides so it splits into two peices....if so you could use one halfs as a flat hammock as it is just put holes in the corners and hang it up.if you dont want to cut into it. then you can attach with poopers to make a detachable second level.

as its poppers it can be so versatile without any need for sewing you can attach the which ever way you want to make it hang down how you want make a tube by leaving the ends open. have it in two peices as seperate hammocks or together as a double hammock, be creative with the poopers and see if you can make a tube underneath the flat top you could change it everytime you clean them out.

but if you want to do a Little sewing you could cut the top off seperating the dark blue from the light blue so its more square and sew the edges together so that you have the option of haveing it flat seperates or a poppered together as pouch that you can hang up or have flat etc as before. and then you can use the top half you cut off after sewing the edges together as little cosey crash pads to dot about the place or even poperered together as a little snuggly hidey hole using the arm holes as entrance and exits.

if you want to do a little more sewing you can change the shape by cutting it into triangles, or rounds.

looks to me like a very good buy have fun with it have a think about it see how big it is, how you can cut it to get the most out of it. and how many ratties are likely to try squeeze in it and what you think its capable of and how much sewing and cutting you fancy doing. it only has to be as hard or as simple as you want it after all the rats are just gonna sleep in it, pee on it, and probably chew it to pieces the second you give it to them

happy hammocking....did you check out the other thread? oh and i saw this some very clever lady made when your feeling a bit more confident with your sewing.....i dont think i'll ever be this confident with my sewing hahaha
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

cpiggott22

Post by cpiggott22 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:25 pm

:D inspired I rushed off to ebay to order 2m of fleece for pennies...so much cheaper than buying hammocks in the shops! You can actually make hammocks etc without ANY sewing!! Thanks so much for this guys, I can't wait til my lovely big cage gets here and I can busy myself filling it with all kinds of fleecy creations :hearts: now I'll barely bat an eyelid when my naughty oldie gets the munchies for some bedding
Owned by Dill, Lola, Bo & Hattie xx .....and new to the crew.....Millie & Skye :)

To all those at the bridge, gone but never forgotten xxx Jess, Cam, Moose, Tammie, Sandie & Nemmy xxx

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 pm

cpiggott22 wrote::D inspired I rushed off to ebay to order 2m of fleece for pennies...so much cheaper than buying hammocks in the shops! You can actually make hammocks etc without ANY sewing!! Thanks so much for this guys, I can't wait til my lovely big cage gets here and I can busy myself filling it with all kinds of fleecy creations :hearts: now I'll barely bat an eyelid when my naughty oldie gets the munchies for some bedding

Do you know who you bought the fleece off? Im making some hammocks out of tea-towels but they're just fraying and looking a bit pants lol... i would like to buy some fleece too...

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:10 pm

yeah i love all this creativeness its makeing me wanna go make some more too, there are loads of ebay sellers offering fleece and some with some really nice patterns and colours it depends what you wants just search for fleece. remember to check the measurements they are offering i neerly got cought out thinking i was paying £1 for a lovely patterened piece then realised it was a 30cm square :( :oops: fleece i used was a dog blanket i got from wilkinsons for £4.99 they had four colours and at the moment in QS or Bwise they have fleece blankets in really nice pastel/ and mocha colours for £3/£6 and £9 depending on thickness

sorry your haveing trouble with your t-towels fold the edges over and stich them through should take care of the fraying. dont be down hearted you'll be so proud when you can look in your cage and say i made those

happy sewing everyone :D
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

cpiggott22

Post by cpiggott22 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:39 pm

This seller will do a piece 2m x 1.5m for £11 posted (I emailed to ask), although if you bid you can probably get it cheaper: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3DWatching

I wasn't patient enough to wait to bid in the end so I went and bought a piece 90cm x 110cm in rainbow for £4 which also came in a nice fleecy bag :D

I have to wait aaaages for my new cage though so I'm a bit gutted I can't put the fleece to use right away
Owned by Dill, Lola, Bo & Hattie xx .....and new to the crew.....Millie & Skye :)

To all those at the bridge, gone but never forgotten xxx Jess, Cam, Moose, Tammie, Sandie & Nemmy xxx

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:46 pm

ohhh cpiggot what new cage you getting???
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

x Kelly x

Post by x Kelly x » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:12 pm

Oooo i just won a bid for some blue fleece for 99p :D lol, bargain!

Where did you order the cage from?