anyone built a rat playpen?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
jade1978

anyone built a rat playpen?

Post by jade1978 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Has anyone built a playpen for their rats, and what did you use? Really want to make one that I can sit in with them, as I feel they are still very nervous of me.
Mummy to 5 children, 1 dog (Dolly) 2 cats (Molly and Mog) 2 rats (Badger, Stanley)

RIP Silva,Timmy, Scratch, Nuzzle, Mr Pink, Anthony all gone before their time xxx

cpiggott22

Re: anyone built a rat playpen?

Post by cpiggott22 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:32 pm

If you're planning on sitting in with them and if it's only temporary why not just use cardboard? You can build it as high as you need to so they can't escape and you'll be there to make sure they can't chew their way out (you may need to weigh it down though- maybe tape it to a few bricks so they can't lift it up??). If you're looking something more permenant you could buy some sheets of ply and hinge them together so it can be folded away. Sorry if I'm not much help :oops:
Owned by Dill, Lola, Bo & Hattie xx .....and new to the crew.....Millie & Skye :)

To all those at the bridge, gone but never forgotten xxx Jess, Cam, Moose, Tammie, Sandie & Nemmy xxx

NewRat

Post by NewRat » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm using Hardboard sheets for my rats playpen. It's 4ft long by 2ft high and we are putting slots into the wood so they all slot in together to make a square. Haven't tried it out so can't tell you if it's good. :D
RIP David xx Run Free at the Bridge. Love you always xx 19th February 2011
RIP Jack and Mickey xx Run free at the Bridge. Love you forever xx 20th June 2011

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 am

This is mine which is 6'x4' in the picture:

I can make it bigger/smaller as and when required. I normally get in when it has been set up at this size.
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 am

Lisa that pen is just genius! :D
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 pm

It was my dad's handy work - I tell him what I want the "item/object" for and he goes off and does :D
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:09 pm

RCTlisa wrote:It was my dad's handy work - I tell him what I want the "item/object" for and he goes off and does :D
Well trained that one. Is he available to hire? :P
Owned by Does: Bella, Scout, Puck and Mouse, and bucks: Atticus, Chali and Dill
Rest In Peace my beautiful girls Tonks, Socks, Luna and Chino

LittleL

Post by LittleL » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:15 pm

RCTlisa wrote:This is mine which is 6'x4' in the picture:

I can make it bigger/smaller as and when required. I normally get in when it has been set up at this size.

That look brill.. mmm tis getting me thinking.. :)

pierced_lady

Post by pierced_lady » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 pm

I got one built for me last night and its brilliant!!!!! It is simply hardboard about 3ft high. It is about 4ft x 9ft. Its fixed together by leaving a 3ml gap down the sides and gaffa tape all along the gap and then overlapping the first strip of it, front and back of the board. this means it can consortina (SP) up when it needs putting away. Also means I can change its shape when I want to with just a little fold. Each end are smaller boards which overlap and I hold together with a bulldog clip on the top so I can get in and out of the playpen without trying to climb over it cause I'm only 4ft 10 so couldn't if I tried! Well...I could but I'd end up on my face probably :lol: Tried it last night and left their explorer in it with one of the bottom of the cage doors open so they could come in and out. The girls went crazy and it was plainly obvious they were having a great time :D Can't let them loose on the floor as there are just too many places I don't want them to go and it means I can sit and work whilst in the playpen with the girls. Tried them on the floor and OH's phone charger was eaten and they went up inside my recliner chair and pulled some of the stuffing out and refused to leave it. I'll try to add pics in the next few days. Its so simple to make, cheap, sturdy, folds away in seconds, easy escape for me if I want a cuppa....perfect! Thank you hubby :wink:
Rats ~ little pets with big pet personality :-) My furs are not in storage or draped across the bed, they're hanging from the cage door waiting to be fed :-)

yoshimi

Post by yoshimi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:55 pm

we've had boards like that for a while, word of warning, you will end up re-doing the duct tape weekly :( We solved the problem by laying all of the boards one on top of the othe and drilling two holes down each side, about 1cm from the edge, then using cable ties through the holes to make the concertina. the great thing about this is that it's a 2 minute job to attach as man or as few as we need at the time. Normally we have 3 together in front of the door to the hall, but we attached 8 together last year to section off a corner of a room in my mums house when they were holidaying there.
The Goodwin Girls: Freya, Hnoss, Saga, Sagatoo, Dita, Strike Bullet & Hel :girly: RIP Champs, most recent to the bridge
Sarah Carling on Twitter, Sarah Carling on Linkedin, Sarah Carling on Facebook

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Just a word of warning to all those with playpens - please supervise your rats at ALL TIMES when they are out in them. One of my ratties died of a fractured skull a while back and the only place I can think that she got it was from jumping up at the sides of the playpen and trying to get out. They were never alone for long, but there were blocks of minutes when they were unsupervised and I'd hate anyone to go through the same thing that I did with my Harley :cry:
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

jugs116

Post by jugs116 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:14 pm

Just a word of warning I used hardboard and made a playpen to fit my daughters bedroom and it only took my rats a couple of hours to eat a small hole in a corner and Pippa escaped into my bedroom which is not ratproof. Thankfully she came back when we shouted her name looking very pleased with herself. We turned the board round but she eventually ate her way out of every pen we made so now they just has freerun in the girls bedroom but supervised at all time. Pippa has escaped half a dozen times now and always to my room where she seems to sit on my bed until we find her or she comes when we shout her name but it still gives you a fright when you cant find them.
jugs116
boys: bong, spots and dash girls: limpet and stitch
RIP all boys and girls gone to rainbow bridge

MoominLove

Post by MoominLove » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 pm

i have the same problem with my girlie Pepper jugs116. some rats just wont stay put. at least yours comes when called. Pepper likes to play a game, where she pretends so come when called then runs back again. she comes back eventualy, i just dont see why its funny to take so long lol! :-? :rollred:
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

jade1978

Post by jade1978 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks for the replys everyone, i have brought some hardboard, it should be about 6ft x 4ft x 2ft when finished, don't quite know how to fix it together yet, although liking the cable tie idea. Can't wait to get started with it. Just to add will be supervising at all times, have 5 children so wouldn't dream of leaving the younger ones alone with the rats for even a second.
Mummy to 5 children, 1 dog (Dolly) 2 cats (Molly and Mog) 2 rats (Badger, Stanley)

RIP Silva,Timmy, Scratch, Nuzzle, Mr Pink, Anthony all gone before their time xxx

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:07 pm

If you search old threads on playpens or through my old threads i posted up pics of mine which was made by attaching the sides together with velcro strips which meant it could fold down to the size of 1 panel for storage. BTW my playpen was 3ft high and some of my rats could jump out of it so i think they'll def be able to with 2ft sides!
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston