How many rats in a Jenny?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
RattyRenton

How many rats in a Jenny?

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:05 am

Hi

I can't find the cage calculator. How many bucks can I keep in a Jenny? The product review thread said maximum 5, is this correct for bucks?

The thing is I've got 2 bucks at mo, I'm getting 2 more shortly (keep your fingers and toes crossed for me that intros work!) and I've found a lone ratty called Buddy in RSPCA Warrington and I want to take him too! My boys are my first rats and GMR has well and truely set in!

Thanks everyone
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

daffee

Re: How many rats in a Jenny?

Post by daffee » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:09 am

5 is the maximum recommended number. How many you are happy with will depend on how you lay out the cage and on the individual rats. :)
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Button

Post by Button » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:10 am

I personally wouldn't keep more than 4 in a Jenny, I had 2 girls and 2 boys in mine and started to feel a bit small so I bought the Abode.

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:51 am

I had 6 in mine with no problem
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Vicki_87

Post by Vicki_87 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:22 pm

I've got 5 does in mine, and wouldn't personally have more than 4 bucks in it.
Spitfire Rattery, Crawley, West Sussex.
Breeding Agouti, Black and Marked Dumbos in Smooth and Rex Coated.

:rainbow: RIP all my babies at the bridge, gone but never forgotten.

sati18

Post by sati18 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:07 pm

i have five big bucks in mne no problem- that said- they get a minimum of an hour (normally 2-3 hours) out of the cage with the whole run of the living room, they have loads of hammocks, and they are all 1 year plus and very lazy.... i would worry more if they were very active but since they just pile into one hamock all day i don't think they are missing out :-)
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Love-rat

Post by Love-rat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:36 pm

I have a cage the same dimensions, just under a different name, and I would only keep four boys in it personally. I wouldn't think ill of someone who kept five in one, people just generally knock one off the cage calculator recommendation for cages that aren't big.
RIP Fuzz and Fuzzier: HKM Chomsky, my licky chomsk (re rbp smeeze) :dumbo: HKM Scabbers, my lovebug scabs (agouti rex) :smileyrat: Magic oh oh oh it's magic.. (black berky) :baby: and Pablo my bubi (minky berky) :baby:

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I'll have a think about getting the other lone rescue. I just worry about my George, he's a very dominant boy. I'll see how the group changes when I get the 2 rescue dumbos. My boys get 2-3 hours free range time every day. I've since acquired another Jenny (£35!!) so GMR may set in further! We shall see. I'm getting the dumbos on Saturday so wish me luck with intros, it's my first time. I've got several threads going about it, I'm terrified!
Thanks again :D
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:08 pm

make a jenny tower :D then you can have up to 9 rats in it! but 5 would love it once they'd been introduced properly :smileyrat:
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:52 am

snaisby wrote:make a jenny tower :D then you can have up to 9 rats in it! but 5 would love it once they'd been introduced properly :smileyrat:
This had crossed my mind...imagine cleaning it though :o . I'm going to revamp my new Jenny, put another door on and coat all the bars in Plastikote, then I'll have a brand new cage for all 4 rats to go in to prevent remaining smells of Roger and George.
Heather x

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:17 pm

RattyRenton wrote:This had crossed my mind...imagine cleaning it though :o
if you put a big door on the front it wouldn't be too bad i think :) you could have lino on the floor of the top section with a couple of litter trays and hopefully it wouldn't get too messy. you could always try it (using cable ties) and if its too much hassle take it apart again :)
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

MoominLove

Post by MoominLove » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:33 pm

aw, dont leave the loner boy. he sounds like he needs a loveing home and some buddys to play with.
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

newratster09

Post by newratster09 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 pm

i really want another 2 aswell!

I only just got sooty and jynx on saturday just gone! they are still settling in thought, sooty is too afraid of coming out and tried to run off when taken out and jynx is going ok!

how do you do the intro's?

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:58 pm

newratster09 wrote:i really want another 2 aswell!

I only just got sooty and jynx on saturday just gone! they are still settling in thought, sooty is too afraid of coming out and tried to run off when taken out and jynx is going ok!

how do you do the intro's?
I've never done it before!! Have a look for all the posts about intros, there's loads of them. I kept on and on mithering people about intros because I'm terrified! My boy George is very dominant and I think he'll be a problem. From what people have told me you can first intro them in the bath, (put a few drops of vanilla essence on them so they smell the same). Do this for a few days or however long you think they need. Then there's the carrier method, putting them in a cat carrier or something else small and they HAVE to get along as it's a small space, then go back to bath intros. When eventually putting them in the cage, make sure to clean it extremely thoroughly so no smells remain. What I'll be doing is revamping my new Jenny and putting new toys in so it'll be completly new and no smells whatsoever.

As I say, have a look for the intro threads on here and ask the more experienced people, they really do know their stuff. I'll let you know how I get on, won't be introing for a couple of weeks yet.
Heather x