Large rabbit cage as play pen

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
MoominLove

Large rabbit cage as play pen

Post by MoominLove » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:25 am

i have a huge rabbit cage that was given to me that i think would be perfect to use as a run for the girls but have no idea what to put in it! any ideas?? x
Lola :girly: and my new babys, Peaches and Juno
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

vulpes

Re: Large rabbit cage as play pen

Post by vulpes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:14 pm

I've seen quite a few people use those wooden wine racks as a climbing frame

also maybe a small cat scratching post for them to climb?
Captained by James, Tiberius and Kirk

MoominLove

Post by MoominLove » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 pm

brill thanx, im so exited to go shoping for new toys. it will be fab for me to have somewhere to put them where i can go and make a cuppa with out the fear or loosing them! x
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:40 pm

I have to say I'm not a great fan of cages as playpens. They can be good on occasion, but in my opinion it depends alot on what else they get to do out of the cage. What specifically are you going to be using it for?

Let me explain myself a bit here... For me, out time is as much about rat-to-human interaction as it is about rats having fun and playing on toys. In fact a fair bit more really - given as depending on how you kit out their cage they can have toy-playing without you too. In a playpen there's normally the option of you sitting in there with them and interacting on a free rein basis. i.e. you not specifically holding them and choosing when, but they get to come and say hi if they want. If their out time is just spent in another (albeit more toy-filled) cage then i personally don't really see that this is an alternative. In this situation (not saying you are using it as so, just if joe blogs is) you might as well just attach the 2 of them together and allow them access to more toys all the time given inside a cage has minimal people interaction abilities.

A great thing to have as well though if time/+ space allows it though - maybe as an addition on weekends when you have less other demands on time? :D
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

MoominLove

Post by MoominLove » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:26 pm

its more for when im in the living room watching telly. i would have the top off but so i can sit with them too. they normay just come out in the bed with me but pepper has taken to jumping off and going back in her cage. just want somewhere where she can go to but so i dont have to keep getting up and getting her back out just for her to do it again. there main out of cage time will still be spent on my bed with me.
R.I.P my lovely Pepper.