Phot of Ahsleys cage

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
ratty lover0099

Re: Phot of Ahsleys cage

Post by ratty lover0099 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi, that is indeed a Fop Buddy Deluxe, I had one many years ago, and my 2 girls were very happy in it :)

You don't need safety pins to make hammocks, you can use keyring clips, or paper clips....or, just a scrap of material! Put a hole in each corner of your hammock, thread through a scrap piece of material/string etc, and tie it to the cage. Done! :D

Here's my Fop, it might give you some ideas for layouts/toys.

Very old pictures, but in them I had tubes (shop brought plastic ones), and kitchen roll tubes bound together using lots and lots of string, to make another level. Other cheap ideas for toys are: Wine rack, tissue boxes (Tesco Own - very cheap...just bung it in the cage!), a full toilet roll, empty egg boxes filled with food/treats, hammocks, jingly cat balls, baskets, stacking stationary shelves/baskets, ropes.....the list is endless. If you have a £ shop of Wilkinsons near you, have a look in them, they are full of cheap toys...you just got to use your imaginaton :luck:

Oh, and definately get a friend for your rat :baby: :hearts: :wink:
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

chris41

Post by chris41 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Ohh wow thats is a great cage, i am off to make her hammock, got safety pins now, cage cleaned out, we using shredded paper instead of wood shavings until i can get a better safer bedding for her, she has a sock tied up wioth treats in it, i am going to give her a toilet roll full one, oh am all excited now lol.
Thank you
Chris x

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:28 pm

That looks really nice. Definitely fine for a pair of rats. You could try Plastikoting the wire part if you are finding it's holding onto smells.

Well done for swapping from woodshavings, it makes such a difference.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

chris41

Post by chris41 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:That looks really nice. Definitely fine for a pair of rats. You could try Plastikoting the wire part if you are finding it's holding onto smells.

Thanks yes it does, what is plastikoting? Where would i get it?

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:47 pm

chris41 wrote:
Ratty_Rhian wrote:That looks really nice. Definitely fine for a pair of rats. You could try Plastikoting the wire part if you are finding it's holding onto smells.

It's an animal safe spray paint. You can get it from most DIY stores e.g. B+Q. We plan to coat one of ours pretty soon.
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

chris41

Post by chris41 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:
chris41 wrote:

It's an animal safe spray paint. You can get it from most DIY stores e.g. B+Q. We plan to coat one of ours pretty soon.

So i ask for plastikote animal safe spray paint, how long does it take to dry?

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:58 pm

chris41 wrote:So i ask for plastikote animal safe spray paint, how long does it take to dry?

I think it's marketed at being child safe but it amounts to the same thing. Not sure about drying time as I've only used it on a wooden chest of drawers before but I would say that she would need to be put into a temp cage for at least 12 hours due to the fumes.

Member of the EC!

chris41

Post by chris41 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:
chris41 wrote:So i ask for plastikote animal safe spray paint, how long does it take to dry?

I think it's marketed at being child safe but it amounts to the same thing. Not sure about drying time as I've only used it on a wooden chest of drawers before but I would say that she would need to be put into a temp cage for at least 12 hours due to the fumes.

Ok thank you, yes he is on look out for another cage, for when we eventually get her a friend, as they need to be introduced away from each other first is that right?? either way we need another cage and we need a friend for her, cant stop worrying now, maybe she is depressed as she is on her own, anbd its our fault, so i want to put it right asap.

longlegs

Post by longlegs » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 pm

chris41 wrote:Ok thank you, yes he is on look out for another cage, for when we eventually get her a friend, as they need to be introduced away from each other first is that right?? either way we need another cage and we need a friend for her, cant stop worrying now, maybe she is depressed as she is on her own, anbd its our fault, so i want to put it right asap.

Yep, you're right you'll need another cage to start with. Some rats are fine to go straight in a cage together, but it's always best to assume they won't and that way you can be prepared. Intro's may take longer as she's been on her own for a while, as they can forget ratty social skills.

Don't beat yourself up about it too much, yes it's far from ideal to keep them on their own but you know that now and are taking steps to put it right. You clearly want the best for her, and are taking on board all the advice you've been given, and ultimately that's what good pet ownership is all about :D

As you're looking for a new cage anyway, I'd personally look into getting a bigger cage and keeping the current one as a spare. The current one is perfectly fine for a pair, but if you're spending money you may as well invest in a bigger cage, as they will really appreciate some extra space and you can fit much more toys etc in :) Also, it'll be a more appropriate size if you end up getting a pair of new friends for her (I personally think 3 is better than 2, the group dynamics are better and you don't risk being left with a lone one if the other dies, but it's completely your choice). I wouldn't personally keep 3 in the cage you've got, but that doesn't make it wrong. If you're interested in a bigger cage, then if you let us know how much space you have and what your budget is then people can suggest suitable ones. I hope that's alright to mention, I'm not in any way trying to tell you what you should do, it's just what I would do if that makes sense.

It sounds like you're really making an effort to enrich her life, well done :D
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts:

chris41

Post by chris41 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am

longlegs wrote:
chris41 wrote:Ok thank you, yes he is on look out for another cage, for when we eventually get her a friend, as they need to be introduced away from each other first is that right?? either way we need another cage and we need a friend for her, cant stop worrying now, maybe she is depressed as she is on her own, anbd its our fault, so i want to put it right asap.

Yep, you're right you'll need another cage to start with. Some rats are fine to go straight in a cage together, but it's always best to assume they won't and that way you can be prepared. Intro's may take longer as she's been on her own for a while, as they can forget ratty social skills.

Don't beat yourself up about it too much, yes it's far from ideal to keep them on their own but you know that now and are taking steps to put it right. You clearly want the best for her, and are taking on board all the advice you've been given, and ultimately that's what good pet ownership is all about :D

As you're looking for a new cage anyway, I'd personally look into getting a bigger cage and keeping the current one as a spare. The current one is perfectly fine for a pair, but if you're spending money you may as well invest in a bigger cage, as they will really appreciate some extra space and you can fit much more toys etc in :) Also, it'll be a more appropriate size if you end up getting a pair of new friends for her (I personally think 3 is better than 2, the group dynamics are better and you don't risk being left with a lone one if the other dies, but it's completely your choice). I wouldn't personally keep 3 in the cage you've got, but that doesn't make it wrong. If you're interested in a bigger cage, then if you let us know how much space you have and what your budget is then people can suggest suitable ones. I hope that's alright to mention, I'm not in any way trying to tell you what you should do, it's just what I would do if that makes sense.

It sounds like you're really making an effort to enrich her life, well done :D

Thank you,my son is saving up for a cage he wants to spend abotu £70 on one like an aviary type one, but its going to take him 2-3 weeks to save up, as he has to book her in vets, i will help him all i can, but these next few months, money is tight here also.
When you say add 3, do they not gang up on the 3rd one? You know how they say 2 company and 3 is a crowd?

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:59 am

I think the best cage you can have for that kind of money is the Abode. It's easily big enough for your two and would accommodate more if you decide to GMR! (Get More Rats....)

As for the 3 being an odd number - I had 3 when I first got rats and it didn't seem to be a problem. I have four atm and they used to sleep by themselves, in pairs, threes and as a whole group!
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

chris41

Post by chris41 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:07 am

not_ginger wrote:I think the best cage you can have for that kind of money is the Abode. It's easily big enough for your two and would accommodate more if you decide to GMR! (Get More Rats....)

As for the 3 being an odd number - I had 3 when I first got rats and it didn't seem to be a problem. I have four atm and they used to sleep by themselves, in pairs, threes and as a whole group!

Thank you, looks llovely cage, similar to the one i have though, but maybe its better will have to look at the dimensions of the one i have just now.

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am

It's the sencond one down (sorry I didn't make that clearer!) The dimentions are;
Height - 96 cm (I'm not sure if this is with the stand or not)
Length - 80 cm
Width - 50 cm

:)
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 am

chris41 wrote:
not_ginger wrote:I think the best cage you can have for that kind of money is the Abode. It's easily big enough for your two and would accommodate more if you decide to GMR! (Get More Rats....)

Thank you, looks llovely cage, similar to the one i have though, but maybe its better will have to look at the dimensions of the one i have just now.

It's much bigger then the one you've got at the moment. The Abode is big enough for up to 6 rats. It's a really smart, well made cage, but the base is a bit flimsy. You can get a metal base made for them so naughty rats can't chew out. It's also got a lovely big door on the front.

photo of my cage:
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 am

and 96cm is with the legs and wheels. It's about 85cm without.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost