Rate That Layout!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
RetroLemons

Rate That Layout!

Post by RetroLemons » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:10 pm

I have just finished cleaning out the boys' cage when I was thinking of how to improve their layout. That's when I had an idea for a thread which would enable people to rate other people's layouts and help them improve.

So if I start out by posting a picture, the next person rates and then posts their picture and so on. :D

ETA 05/07/10
RetroLemons wrote:AMENDMENTS TO THE GAME! the rules of the game are going to be altered slightly... So from now on what will happen is...
- after a photo of a cage is posted, multiple players can rate the cage and give a critique.
- the most useful critique will then be chosen by the owner of said cage and in turn tagged
- so that then the tagged person goes on to post their cage and so on...
A bit like the "buck or doe?"/"guess the age" game rules. Does that make sense? Other than that all the rules stay the same, but this way more people can get involved and can play *drum roll* Rate that Layout!
I thought this template for the picture, to help people rate would be good:

Number of Rats:
Special Requirements: (E.G Old rats, Disabled, HLD etc)
Picture:
Any other details?:

Template for Rating:

Rating: (Out of 10)
Why:

Rules

Constructive critism only
Maximum of Two pictures per post.
You cant rate your own cage :lol:

Number of Rats: Three
Special Requirements: None
Picture:
Any other details?: Nope

If you think this is a horrible idea, feel free to ignore me! :lol:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Myfynwy

Re: Rate That Layout!

Post by Myfynwy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Ohh I like this idea, although right now have no photos available, so cannot play yet (I shall go get some shortly!) but just wanted to say I really liked the plastic ball in the corner as a house *steals idea* 8)
Rebecca and the boys, Colin :oldbuck: Archibald :olddumbobuck: Howard :teen: Bruce :teen: Cedric :teen: Norman :dumboteen: and Edmund :dumbobaby: RIP Nigel :dumbohalo: RIP Stanley :dumbohalo:
http://justanotherangryfeminist.blogspot.com/

Rach210

Post by Rach210 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Rating: 8
Why: Lots of toys and things for active ratties to climb on but space at the bottom for running around and rough and tumble if your rats like that. It has lots of variety but isn't overcrowded. The rats in the picture seem to be enjoying their toys anyway!
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

Myfynwy

Post by Myfynwy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Rating: 7.5!
Why:
Positives - There is plenty of floor space and a fun maze to climb on above. Especially like the plastic ball as mentioned before! Great idea.
Cons - It's a little bit empty (personal preference more than a criticism, not that my cages are as full as I'd like them either, I run out of places to hang things grr), maybe an extra shelf or hammock like layer would be good.

Number of Rats: Two
Picture:

Any suggested improvements welcome!
Rebecca and the boys, Colin :oldbuck: Archibald :olddumbobuck: Howard :teen: Bruce :teen: Cedric :teen: Norman :dumboteen: and Edmund :dumbobaby: RIP Nigel :dumbohalo: RIP Stanley :dumbohalo:

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Fab idea Retrolemons! :D

Rating: 9!

Why: Looks fantastic with lots of things to climb and hide in :D Not given 10/10 because I'm a harsh harsh woman and I don't believe anything can be perfect :lol: But yea I like it a lot!

mine:

Number of Rats: Two
Special Requirements: None other than I am out of the house form 7:30am til 7pm so need to make sure they don't get bored!

close up

Doesn't look like theres much floor space but I line the Stella box up with the platform to form a kind of half floor, and also the inside of the box which takes up over 25% of the base is empy apart from a layer of megazorb (and what ever bedding they fill it with!) :)

All constructive critisim greatly appreciated!!!
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 pm

7/10
Just because I don't like my cage to look so crammed full of things, though there is lots of stuff to climb on.

Number of Rats: 2
Special Requirements: none
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:42 pm

7/10

Just personal preference again - I prefer to have more toys and things to climb on/interract with than hammocks (which i tend to use 1 or 2 for sleeping, and any more for breaking up long drops)

No of rats: 13 does
No special requirements

Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm

9/10 - brilliant layout there, enough stuff the girls to not be bored but not too much that they can't run around madly either. Looks like there's lots of textures and thing to interact with too.

4 males in my cage - three 4 month olds and one 20 month old.
Not special requirements for mine, except 3 pingy babies to cater too.

Top half -

Bottom half -

The wooden thing on the shelf in the bottom half is actually a dish rack turned upside down that they use a climbing frame - it's hard to tell from the photos :lol:
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

Myfynwy

Post by Myfynwy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Right! AMENDMENTS TO THE GAME! With RetroLemons's permission the rules of the game are going to be altered slightly...

So from now on what will happen is after a photo of a cage is posted, multiple players can rate the cage and give a critique. The most useful critique will then be chosen by the owner of said cage and in turn tagged, so that then this person goes on to post their cage and so on... A bit like the "buck or doe?"/"guess the age" game rules. Does that make sense?

Other than that all the rules stay the same, but this way more people can get involved and can play *drum roll* Rate that Layout! 8)

Right, I'll start...

Annoyingly jennifer-rat I cannot see anything wrong with your cage at all! Which makes giving a good critique rather difficult. I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you a 10/10. It has lots of different textures, lots of different activities, lots of different hide outs and beds yet at the same time is not too over crowded. Perfection is possible!

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Thank you Myfynwy, now let's hope no one replies before i manage to type this out. :lol:

Jennifer-rat your cage is spacious, and has a wide variety of things in it! Is that a digging box I spy? Definatly I nice layout, however I would be tempted to add more ropes, and not really thick ones etc as it will get them moving, balencing etc. Also ropes can be handy for hanging things onto which can help use space! :D

9/10
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)

jennifer-rat

Post by jennifer-rat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:01 am

RetroLemons wrote:Thank you Myfynwy, now let's hope no one replies before i manage to type this out. :lol:

Jennifer-rat your cage is spacious, and has a wide variety of things in it! Is that a digging box I spy? Definatly I nice layout, however I would be tempted to add more ropes, and not really thick ones etc as it will get them moving, balencing etc. Also ropes can be handy for hanging things onto which can help use space! :D

9/10
I'll tag Rowan (only if you have another layout photo though! :) ) because the rope idea was a good one, will try and incorporate that the next time I clean them out - don't want them getting lazy!
And yep it's a digging box, just compost with added seeds, nuts, berries, dried herbs/plants and dried mixed insects. They don't half make a mess with it though!
Jen, plus:
:dumbo: Puck, Pitri and Diesel
Remembered forever: Norman, Nesbitt, Scamp, Stuart, Jasper and Carrot.

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:55 pm

Thank you! :D (I have billions of layout pictures :oops: )

Number of Rats: Four
Picture:

Other Info: Old layout, but planning to use a general idea of it soon for my girls. As I recently split my furet tower to house both my groups! :D Finacard is used

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Ok, I'd give this 8/10

Pros - nice use of floor space and height. There seems to be something to do everywhere! Lots of different textures and hidey-holes. I also love the orange bag-like thing on the right - what is it?? Also, a nice mix of specific ratty designed things and household items!

Cons - I can't see anything for digging, but you say Finacard is used so I must just be blind! Also, safety wise, I tend to hang something under sputniks as I've had them break and fall before. Food bowl on the top shelf - my boys push these around and it could do some damage if it fell on a rat underneath.
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm

Anyone else? :D

ETA: This is an old layout when the cage was whole so Finacard was on the bottom now it's split in two, Finacard is use in both sections! Just thought I would make it clearer what I meant :lol:
not_ginger wrote:I also love the orange bag-like thing on the right - what is it??
Its a hammock, with an elastic thing tied through all the corners :D

Myjb23

Post by Myjb23 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Fantastic idea and will really help me out!! I will post a couple of pictures of my boys cage but please be gentle as I inherited the cage and everything (except for the wicker bed thing and the wooden ladder (that you cant see in the pic :-? )) from the previous owner on saturday so it is most definately a work in progress. I would REALLY appreciate any constructive criticism to improve it and make my boys feel happy and cosy!

No of rats: 2 boys
special requirements: None I dont think, except one of the boys is missing part of a toe but doesnt seem to affect him.

Cage now:

And im gonna be sneaky and add this one as its how it was before. Let me know if I have improved it or made it worse please :lol:

As a newbie rat owner i think my cage needs more toys and things to climb on/ sleep in but I dont know.. any pointers would be good :D