Rate That Layout!

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
little_rat_lover

Re: Rate That Layout!

Post by little_rat_lover » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Umm you were right on needing more help, he's been fine with most parts (she's less restricted).. but he sort of got stuck on the very top platform in the top half yesterday evening, so there's now the jenny ladder between the 2! He seems ok with the rest so do you think just monitor? She can get around fairly well just can't climb as far on bars, is fine with ropes/tubes etc though.

Never thought of a digging box, normally just let them dig in the cardboard! Hmm will do some searches for ideas... :D

The purpose of the levels is really as it's hard to reach the back so hopefully a quick wipe will do them :oops: Not ideal, may be modding the cage soon to make access to the back half better!

Have to be honest I don't like scatter feeding their dry food due to them burying the food they don't like so much :lol: So I scatter feed/bury/hide treats and veggies etc instead. Hopefully that will still encourage some good behaviour?

Lovely ideas :D Hope it's ok explaining the ones I will/won't use and why? Not sure how long to leave it before tagging.. so seeing as only 2 replies will leave it til tomorrow evening :) Cleanout tomorrow so I can use all this as inspiration! :lol:

Oh and that big long tube hasn't been used yet!!! Will adjust it to make it a bit easier :roll: Lazy rats :lol:
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

redrach

Post by redrach » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey.
8/10
It's hard to have a cage that suits those of all ages, so well done. Perhaps more ledges could be used instead of the big shelves and ladders. I find the lava ledges are good 'cause they can chew them too and it keeps their nails trim too. Or you could try more tubes, ones with grooves inside make it easier to climb them or ones made from material.
I think it's really good but (:
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:40 pm

7.5/10

Pros - Lots of activities for the ratties to enjoy, looks like quite a challenging setup. I'm a big fan of tubes in cages, so obviously I think that's a pro!

Cons - A little bit too much open space, I think you can better utilize the size of the cage with some additional ropes/shelves/hammocks, just to fill it out a little as well as providing a bit of safety against falling ratties!

Overall though I think its a nice setup
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

little_rat_lover

Post by little_rat_lover » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Thankyou :) Will put all your tips to good use over the next few weeks! :D Agree with all you've said basiltherat and redrach!

Ooook as I don't think you've been nominated yet, I tag redrach :D
Mummy to Chrissy, Bramble, Amber, Vodka, Riley, Monkey, Stumpy, Princess, Mr Arthur Wiggins, Pixie and Farren.

RIP: Rambo, Rue, Dill, Coconut, Faith Mischief and Bonnie.

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Yippee!

Going to show both my cages, if that's okay.
First, the boys cage.
I have 4 boys, 2 are about 2 years old and 1 has HLD. The other two are 4.5 months old. So I've tried to accomodate both.
I change their layout every 2 weeks, to give Albie a chance to get used to it, so this is the one from the past 2 weeks. But it's generally just the same stuff placed differently. So far he can get about all of the cage because of the ledges and sticks etc, plus the hammocks catch him if he falls.
It took them 2 weeks to realise the baskets were a nice sleeping place... :D There is also a snuggly cube placed in front of the ball, but it was in the wash when this was taken. Oh, & another lava ledge and a few bits&bobs..

I have 3 girls, 2 are about 7 months and the other is 4.5 months.
Their layout is changed weekly.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Boys: 6/10

Pro's: You do seem to have accomodated your hld boy without it being too easy for the others, its quite hard if you have one thats struggling because you want to make things as easy as you can for them, but not too easy for the others. I like the ball, that really is the only good purpose for those things lol. The sleeping places are all big enough so they can all squidge in if they want :) , you have a sleeping place for each so they can all sleep alone if they like too. The sticks look good aswell.

Cons/Improvements: I think they could do with some toys, like some parrot hanging things or maybe a dog rope chew thing (I cant think what on earth to call it!). I notice you have a wheel for your ladies, have you tried one for your boys? I dont know what cage it is + measurements etc, but it seems a little tight for 4 imo (though I am used to seeing my 2 lads in an explorer). I think the tube and ramp are possibly making it a little too easy for them, I'd be inclined to take them out and have some ropes and cargo nets instead so that it makes it a bit more challenging so they have to climb more - which you could still do in such a way to make it easier for you hld lad. There seems to be a bit of dead space in there, but it depends what other bits and bobs are usually in there I'd want to have something else hanging at the top, I think it will look better when the other bits are in though. Maybe hang a loo roll up in there somewhere aswell my lads love theirs, gives them something to do and its bedding aswell :lol: !

Sorry :oops:

Girls:

6/10

Pros: Its great they have a wheel. I like the hammock thing at the bottom left, looks like a nice cosy sleeping place again I think its nice that they could all get in together if they wanted. Various different sleeping places. Different textures with the sticks, hammocks, basket and grass ball/house thing. Again, I like the sticks.

Cons/Imrpovements: It does look a bit easy to get around in places, particularly around the top. I'd probably remove one or two of the hammocks and move the tunnel so theres a bigger gap. As with the boys I think they could do with some toys and ropes. The space in the middle doesnt seem to be being used for anything, maybe move the big hangy hammock thing from the bottom left to there.
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

redrach

Post by redrach » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:10 am

With regards to the boys, it's a furet plus, as i think i mentioned and can hold 4, plus they get a lot of freerange. They have a wheel but i removed it because they didn't go near it. I'm also afraid the tube and ladder have to remain for now because albie cannot get about without them and i can't afford to buy cargo nets etc. I tried making some with string but was too concerned about heads/legs getting stuck as the gaps are bigger with string. Especially Albie. Just can't risk that.
Perhaps some other ideas?

I take what you're saying about toys. Most days they all have homemade floor toys, but perhaps i should try and make some hanging toys for them, any ideas? I've been trying to make walkways from those sticks and in the girls cage it forms steps to climb up/down, but i'm near out of them and it's hard to come by long enough ones. Any other cheap ideas?
I'm really on a budget at the min. And only spending dollah on their necessities.
Rachael.

msmara

Post by msmara » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 am

I just wanted to say I cant afford cargo nets either but mine have loads that I've made using this tutorial.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:11 am

redrach wrote:With regards to the boys, it's a furet plus, as i think i mentioned and can hold 4, plus they get a lot of freerange. They have a wheel but i removed it because they didn't go near it.
Ah thats fair enough then :)
redrach wrote:I'm also afraid the tube and ladder have to remain for now because albie cannot get about without them and i can't afford to buy cargo nets etc. I tried making some with string but was too concerned about heads/legs getting stuck as the gaps are bigger with string. Especially Albie. Just can't risk that.
Perhaps some other ideas?
The first time I made a cargo net I tied the knots a bit far apart, Chino managed to get himself nicely tangled in it but luckily I was there at the time! I tie the knots closer together now so the gaps are smaller, about an inch apart. I did mine with 79p washing line from a pound shop, I make them too big and as they get eaten gradually shorten them lol, theres some in the tutorial made out of fleece aswell so maybe if you have some scraps of fabric you could use that? I also made some ropes by plating washing line to make it thicker.
redrach wrote:I take what you're saying about toys. Most days they all have homemade floor toys, but perhaps i should try and make some hanging toys for them, any ideas? I've been trying to make walkways from those sticks and in the girls cage it forms steps to climb up/down, but i'm near out of them and it's hard to come by long enough ones. Any other cheap ideas?
I'm really on a budget at the min. And only spending dollah on their necessities.
I got some thick cardboard tubing recently to make a climbing post thing, wrapping some string around it for grip to make a vertical climbing post like a cat scratcher thing which they seem to like (when they can be bothered). I tried to find the link for the thread about it but cant find it. Theres also several ideas for home made toys etc here http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm :)
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

redrach

Post by redrach » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Ohh great ideas! Thanks! Shall try getting more string or fishing line and making it smaller, also thinking maybe if i use two strands instead of 1 it might make it thicker and less of a worry?
I really like the idea of the cat post thing, think i will def try this for the girls cage and possibly the boys, or for their freerange.
Thanks again!
Rachael.

msmara

Post by msmara » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:06 am

is tthere a freecycle near you? i have soo much rat stuff that i got off there - look for ferret, rabbit etc & you'll soon have more than you need. sorry, i didn't read properly before i posted the tutorial link. i also buy cheap dog toys or cheap rope from a hardware store & make them, tha way they're a lil thicker for my more clumsy chubs.
Samara & the Squishness
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

redrach

Post by redrach » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:49 pm

There is a freecycle (only realised after you mentioned it!) tho it doesn't seem to have any rat/rabbit/parrot etc toys or things I could use. Shall keep an eye on it tho.
Think it's been long enough, so i tag msmara
Rachael.

msmara

Post by msmara » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:08 pm

I will upload pics in about an hour (ETA, or maybe tomorrow) need to find batteries for my camera! also i'd like to take the middle out of my explorer :)
Samara & the Squishness

msmara

Post by msmara » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Number of Rats: 14, ages 14 weeks - 2 years
Special Requirements: lazy bucks needing encouragement
Any other details?: I've literally just taken the middle out, so improvement ideas etc are most welcome :) You can't see it in the pics, but I have 4 water bottles on the doors & also baskets aka sleepy places on doors. the younger boys are still quite skittish etc so don't have many hidey places just yet.

Samara & the Squishness

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Hi :)

I think 7/10

Pros: Lots of different climby things for them, the ropes, the net, the baskets etc and I like the positioning of the various ropes/nets. The substrate they can dig about in, as with the litter tray. And they've got a nice big wheel if they want to use it and plenty for them to climb in there :)

Cons: Could do with a couple more soft things like hammocks maybe? Maybe add another hammock somewhere to catch them just incase they fall. I know you've said not many hidey places because of the youngsters but once they've settled maybe add another couple of enclosed beds/ dark hidey places for them. Also I see the wooden hangy thing but maybe a wooden knaw or something for them to play with and chew, they keep my two busy for a while anyway!

:D
:hearts: xxx Honey and Treasure xxx :dumbogirly: