Blind rats

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
jane89

Blind rats

Post by jane89 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 pm

hi all just looking for a bit of advice. iv seen an advert lookng to rehome a blind male rat and im very tempted to offer to take him but iv no idea if he'd require special housing, diet ect as iv only had non-blind females before. iv got one of those large floor cages and was wondering if i could adapt it for him? it looks a bit like this:

also it sounds like hes on his own so naturaly id love to get him some companions but would it be much harder with a blind rat? like i said im only considering rehoming him at this stage but id thought id run the idea and questions past you lovely people first :D :lol:
proud mum to the three amigos: sasha, eddie and patsy. and in memory of maybelle: you may be gone but your chew marks on my bed still remain. rip little one

i may not be a rat expert, but please feel free to PM me for ferret advice!

Sara_C

Re: Blind rats

Post by Sara_C » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 pm

Honestly, he'll be fine in a large cage, it really doesn't seem to bother them too much at all!

My first rat ever was blind (literally, he had no eyes), and he coped really well. Introducing him wasn't any more difficult then introducing 'normal' rats. I did adapt his cage a bit to make sure it was easy for him to navigate, but once he got to know where things were he managed just as well as his friends who could see! The only thing he wouldn't do was jump off ledges unless he could feel what was below with his whiskers - as obviously it could be either huge drop or a little one! But once he had done it and realised it was only a small drop he would remember and quite happily jump down.

Just treat him like a normal rat but pay more attention to his sense of touch and hearing. They manage really well - their eyesight isn't that good anyway in the first place :)
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

Jird

Re: Blind rats

Post by Jird » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:37 pm

I agree - blind rats generally cope fine with their lack of vision, and I've not found my boys (one was dumped at PAH specifically because his previous owner 'didn't want a blind rat', and I have serious doubts about the eyesight of two others) to need any special care or allowances at all :)
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.