chew proof cages

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
burninglight

chew proof cages

Post by burninglight » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:09 am

hello,

Just had a little enquiry. I've noticed my girls start to chew the plastic top of the furet plus cage - and I'm getting paranoid that an escape attemt is looming. The cage is full of toys, chews and interesting things aimed at distracting them, but they always find time to chew a little of the cage every night.

I'm trying to find a chew proof cage - or a cage easy to make chew proof - or tips on how to stop them chewing this cage.

I only have 2 girls at them moment, but would love to get a nuetered boy to live with them in the future, so a cage big enough for 3-4 would be fantastic, but not neccessary. I am also trying to keep costs down, so hoping to not spend much more than £100 should a new cage be neeeded.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Naomi1984

Re: chew proof cages

Post by Naomi1984 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:49 am

If i were you i would go for an abode, but before you pop them in there get a metal tray made. I love the cage but the plastic base is flimsy :x
Love Naomi and The Gang xxx
:hearts: Sadie, Scarlett, Judi, Daisy and Thomas :hearts:

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:01 pm

I was eying the abode up last night but the plastic tray put me off. Where would I go about getting a metal tray made? I'm hopeless with all that jazz.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54 pm

John Hopewell will make a metal base for the Abode.

Critter cages are all metal.

There's a nice all metal chinchilla cage on ECF, but I think that may be a bit expensive.

Or if it's just the top of the Furet plus that your girls are chewing then you could take that off and cable tie a piece of mesh or part of an old cage on instead.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:54 pm

cheers.

I've emailed john for a quote, and I've had a look at the critter cages too.

The girls are concentrating their energy on the inside corner of the roof, they're a good few nights away from escaping but I'm hoping to have everything sorted before then. It does seem to be one corner, and I've tried putting things in the way, but they are resourceful little blighters.

Looking at the cage they've also had a nibble of the base, nothing too damaging though, and the shelves must look tasty as well. My boys never had the energy for all this chewing, if it wasn't edible they didn't make the effort.

Jillybean

Post by Jillybean » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Hi there.....I see you are in Glasgow so you could check to see if there are any sheet metal works around who would make one for you...It may be a bit cheaper for you. My tray in my Abode is stainless steel and it is great, a good solid cage for a good price.

Good luck !! Let us know how you get on. I have the exact measurements of the tray for you which I`ll try to find.....I put it somewhere on the Abode thread I think....I`ll go and look ! :D

Edited...http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... s#p1326660
:love: Matilda, Georgia, Sylvie, Alice & Lois :love:

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:47 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHINCHILLA-RAT-DE ... 3caf8dc12b
Please excuse the massive long link :lol: But this cage here is all metal and although it's white, it's a nice cage for just a few ratties :wink: I got one for £50 a couple of years back, so I reckon you could get one cheaper than this one on ebay if you hunt about abit.
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Beth82

Post by Beth82 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:32 pm

i'm getting 'the tower' delivered tomorrow, price drop to £97

http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acatalo ... Cages.html
:girly: Flo :girly: Daphne :girly: Delilah
:baby: Luce :teen: Willow
:oldbuck: Jasper
http://twyrats.webs.com/

burninglight

Post by burninglight » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:49 pm

I did look at the tower and curse that I didn't have more space in my room for that - such a good price! Plus looks like a fantastic cage. I've order the abode and a whole bunch of stuff to kit it out though - very exciting.

Think my little hammy is a bit gutted, he was due to get a new cage before the girls started eating their way out of the furet. My next search is for a spacious yet cheap hamster cage!