What toys?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
beff_face

What toys?

Post by beff_face » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:12 am

Hey guys!

While I wait for my ratty babies to get ready to come home, I've made a start filling up the cage.

So far I have a chube, hammock, cargo net (homemade, so might save it til they are older as they may fall through the holes, mines a bit wide!), Sputnik XL, a little treat toy, and then two other sleepy items. Then there are ramps and tubes that came with the cage (Jenny series).

There's still loads of room for other items, Im just not sure what!! What would you add?
Beth
:love: Milo :love: Remy :love: Oliver Twist

acapae_wolf

Re: What toys?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:06 am

Some more climbing-type toys definately. So little perches/ ledges, parrot toys if you can afford, various ropes etc. Things to do/ play on rather than only really beds above floor level :)

Having said that, it's best if you have the cage more open that you otherwise would when you initially bring your rats home, and you do randomly aquire things even without realising it! For rats that aren't ridiculously old and immobile, you don't need to give them ladders, and indeed it's best if you don't. You get more space for useful cage items, and they get better excercise climbing about.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

beff_face

Post by beff_face » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:28 am

I just went on a toy spree on ecf :P

I was very aware I have a lot of things that they could lounge in, so now they will hopefully be a bit more for them to play on. Trying to find rope tyys a bit cheaper though. Might also go to the field and collect some nice bigh sticks to drape once Ive cleaned them (is that ok to do?) too.
Beth

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:37 am

beff_face wrote:Trying to find rope tyys a bit cheaper though.
Rope toys - go to poundland etc. and get a dog toy rope ball and unwind it. Near enough 2m of good quality rope for cheaps. You can then plait/ knot/ leave one long line to however you want it. Alternatively horse lead ropes are good, especially if you can get them in a sale. ratrations also have inexpensive rope too, although same as above you need to be a bit creative with it once you've bought.
beff_face wrote: Might also go to the field and collect some nice bigh sticks to drape once Ive cleaned them (is that ok to do?) too.
It's better to remove them straight from the tree as that way you know a) what species of tree it is b) that they haven't started decomposing already. Make sure you have suitable equipment for doing so though and don't cut off the twig/ branch so it's flush with the left-alone bit of the tree.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Carriwarri

Post by Carriwarri » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 pm

We have bought our 2 young bucks ( we only got them 2 weeks ago)a wheel but they don't seem to want to use it. They will eat food left there or briefly climb in but haven't been seen turning it yet?? It has been in there cage for about a week, initially attatched to the wire cage , now on its stand. Any sugestions please?
Ratty granny to Whiskey and Bruno !!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:14 pm

Carriwarri wrote:We have bought our 2 young bucks ( we only got them 2 weeks ago)a wheel but they don't seem to want to use it. They will eat food left there or briefly climb in but haven't been seen turning it yet?? It has been in there cage for about a week, initially attatched to the wire cage , now on its stand. Any sugestions please?
Rats are more likely to use a wheel if they've seen an older rat doing so/ have been brought up with one. That's not to say that if they haven't they won't ever use it themselves, it can just take them a little bit longer. Having said that, unlike smaller animals, not all rats see the point in wheels and would rather take their excercise in other ways :)
*~~Beri~~*

kizzie123

Post by kizzie123 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:55 pm

lol when i got my rats a wheel, all they ever did was poo and wee on it!

Pretty sure they were disgusted with me like theyd come to the cage, look at it and i bet they were saying 'how dare you buy that!!!'

Got a really decent one too!
My three little babies, Bangers, Mash, and Beans <3
My new babies, Cookie and Cream <3

beff_face

Post by beff_face » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:32 pm

I doubt I'll bother with a wheel, it seems a waste it they turn their nose up!

Thanks for the rope suggestion, I was probs going to buy a rope ball and do a thicker cargo net so no harm in buying another :) Gonna scout around some charity shops too, see if there any infant toys i can use/mod :D
Beth

trio's mum

Post by trio's mum » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Charity shops are a-maz-ing!! for for ratty toys (things for kids that you can use for rats)

Jird

Post by Jird » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:17 pm

beff_face wrote:I doubt I'll bother with a wheel, it seems a waste it they turn their nose up!
In my experience a wheel is worth having :) I bought one for my boys a few months back, and although I initially thought it was a waste as none of my adults would go near it, they've all started using it since I adopted a pair of kittens who like wheel running. Even my chubby old boy (who has to be bribed with peas to convince him to do anything more strenuous than a gentle waddle :roll:) will have an occasional trundle.
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

MirandaM

Post by MirandaM » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:45 pm

What about cat toys (the plastic balls with jingle bells inside). You can usually find them at the dollar store...

vivree

Post by vivree » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:55 pm

Yeah, the thing about wheels is, unless they've had a wheel around since their kittenhood, they're unlinkely to use it. They do seem to teach eachother though.

Good toys to get are toys that make them work for their food. I have a metal skewer-type thing that veg etc. can be stuck onto. I also have a small ball-shaped cage that things can be put in too.

My boys also love empty Ben and Jerry's tubs. : P